b16a1 into 91 civic lx 4dr

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

go here for help with wiring - http://ef-honda.com/ben click tech

http://www.ef-honda.com/ben/EFwiring.php

QUOTE(Ben Ogle ef-honda.com/ben)
EF Wiring By Ben Ogle

When you do a motor swap into your EF you are most likely going to have to do some wiring. If you have a DPFI model (dual point fuel injection) you will most definately have to do a DPFI => MPFI conversion, and if you are putting a VTEC motor in there you will have to wire for VTEC. It is a lot easier than it looks or sounds. Throughout all this i am assuming you are staying OBD0.

When wiring please use solder and heat shrink tubing. It makes your wiring last longer and look MUCH cleaner. If you cant solder I think you should put off this wiring job until you can (or get one of your soldering friends to do it).

MPFI: what to do.

You are going to use your stock engine harness as the base of your "hybrid" harness. Not the engine harness that came on the motor, an Si or Hf harness (unless your car is an Si or Hf), or a B18a harness (not even with a B18a). This is a common misconception. People always want to use a stock MPFI harness. The problem is that it doesnt work unless you want to repin the connectors that connect it to the car harness. IMO that would be a lot of work.

The engine harness you got with your motor is going to be used for parts. You need the injector plugs (I cut the wires as far back in the donor harness as I can so I dont have to do any lengthening), the injector resistor plug (dont even cut it off the injector plugs, just trace it back), and the distributor plug. In addition to the plugs off the donor harness you need an injector resistor box. This box can come out of any OBD0 civic or integra.

Now that you have all the stuff lets get to wiring. I like to do all the engine harness stuff first so thats how I'm gonna write it. Keep in mind that this is MUCH easier to do with the motor out of the car.

Engine:
Connect the yellow wire on the DPFI harness to the brown wire on the injector plug for the #1 cylinder.

Connect the red wire on the DPFI harness to the blue wire on the injector plug for the #3 cylinder.

Run the red wire on one of the injector plugs to ECU pin A3 for the #2 injector. I usually like to run this wire into the pass side engine-to-car plug (big white one) then do the other side when I do the interior wiring.

Run the yellow wire on one of the injector plugs to ECU pin A7 for the #4 injector. I usually like to run this wire into the pass side engine-to-car plug (big white one) then do the other side when I do the interior wiring.

Connect the 2 yellow/black wires on the DPFI harness (from the old injectors) the yellow/black wire on the injector resistor plug.

If you cut the injector plugs off the injector resistor plug then you have to reconnect the red/black wires on the resistor plug to the injector plugs.

De-pin the Distributor plug from the MPFI harness (except the blue green and blue/yellow wires. Cut those as you will use them later) and WRITE DOWN which color wires went where. Then de-pin the DPFI distributor plug and put the MPFi plug on your DPFI harness. Make sure the colors are the match up to what you wrote down. There are 2 white colored wires and they can easily be mixed up. So make sure the white wire that is a "loner" (not in a group of 4) is a "loner" when you re-pin the MPFI plug (I need some pics, heh).

Run the blue/green wire on the dist plug to ECU pin C1 for the cylinder position sensor. I usually like to run this wire into the pass side engine-to-car plug (big white one) then do the other side when I do the interior wiring.

Run the blue/yellow wire on the dist plug to ECU pin C2 for the cylinder position sensor. I usually like to run this wire into the pass side engine-to-car plug (big white one) then do the other side when I do the interior wiring.

Lengthen the TPS and IACV wires. Also, you need to swap the green/white and yellow/white wires on the TPS plug as the MPFI throttle bodies rotate in the opposite direction of the DPFi ones.

There will be 3 plugs of the exact same type which are easily mixed up. These plugs are for the IACV (blk/yel and blu/yel), the IAT (little white sensor on the IM; orange/yel and grn/white), and for some DPFI sensor (blk/yel and orange). The plug with the blk/yel and orange wires is NOT used. You can cut it off or let hang or whatever.

ECU plugs:
Connect the orange wire on C1 to pin B10. You can either de-pin C1 and swap it over or cut C1 and solder it onto a wire you put in B10.

Connect the white wire on C2 to pin B12. You can either de-pin C2 and swap it over or cut C2 and solder it onto a wire you put in B12.

Run a wire from C1 to the blue/green wire on the dist. If you ran the blue/green wire into the pass side plug then this is very easy.

Run a wire from C2 to the blue/yellow wire on the dist. If you ran the blue/yellow wire into the pass side plug then this is very easy.

Cut the wire at A3 and run a wire from A3 to the red wire on the #2 injector plug. If you ran the red injector wire into the pass side plug then this is very easy.

Cut the wire at A7 and run a wire from A7 to the yellow wire on the #4 injector plug. If you ran the yellow injector wire into the pass side plug then this is very easy.

If you are more the visual type then this is for you. (Big thanks to evilxkid for letting me use this).

its a quick cut ant paste. not info on me but hte info for the conversion

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
the resistor plug for the resistor box is for a MPFI car, as opposed to DPFI car, change the plug for box, thats all i can think of.
DPFI cars don't have resistor box
i got a harness out of a 90 crx si and i'm using that with that resistor, the car has a 12pin round connector that is on the driver side strut tower and then goes into the driverside of dash. the mpfi harness that i have has a 8pin round connector. i have pulse now just no spark.
the LX DPFI chassis harness does not have wires in it for the other 2 injectors nor for the CYL sensor in the distributor - in order to convert it to MPFI, you have to add these wires to the LX harness - wires in both connectors, driver's side and passenger side are in different locations on the LX and Si - some wires for the same function in both cars are even in the opposite connectors
i'm not using the lx harness using a mpfi harness out of crx, what needs to be modified on the distributor plug?
you cannot use the MPFI harness - you need to use the LX harness and modify it - it will not work with the Si harness
th lx harness only had 2 fuel injector and none of the connectors worked on this jdm b16a1 motor
that is why you have to modify the LX harness - to add wiring from the ECU for 2 more injectors and the CYL sensor, wire in the injector clips, add a resistor box, extend wiring for TPS, extend wiring for EACV and swap connector at the distributor - you also need to swap some wires around at the ECU itself - that is what is required to swap it from DPFI to MPFI - you cannot just swap the Si harness onto the engine - the car itself is not wired from the ECU to the engine bay for MPFI
where do you wire the resistor box and the cyl sensor, any spot on the harness closest to where they get plugged in, thanks for all the help

youll have to run wires to the ECU from the cyl sensor, and the 2 other injectors to the ECU form the Engine bay,
take 3 wires and run them through the firewall.
put them in the appropriate spots on the ECU and into the plugs/sensor/injectors

I'd say thats alot easier to follow than any MPFI conversion than I've seen, I'm sitting at work and can't access all my stuff on my PC. :eek: kudos

Quoted post[/post]]
I'd say thats alot easier to follow than any MPFI conversion than I've seen, I'm sitting at work and can't access all my stuff on my PC. :eek: kudos
okay i wired the car to start and run, now how do i wire in the vtec, sorry about all the questions, this is my first swap.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
okay i wired the car to start and run, now how do i wire in the vtec, sorry about all the questions, this is my first swap.
never mind i have no fuel pressure, car was running with some starting fluid. any ideas on what i should check

thanks for all the help car is up and running, seems to run real good at this time, we have been driving it around on the lot today to make sure everything is okay, going to take it out for a test run in a little bit.

Back