B16a2 With Turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pawsoff

Hi all, I am in the process of selling my car. Once sold I was leaning towards the purchase of a 1993 Honda Del Sol. I am planning on replacing the engine with a B16A2 JDM engine with the possibility of adding a turbo later on. I have read around some on the net and it seems that the B16 will handle up to 8psi of boost on stock internals without hurting them. I am interested to know if the JDM version will allow a higher levels of boost on JDM Stock internals or not.

there is no such thing as a jdm b16a2.

there is a b16a2 found in the usdm 99-00 civic si and is odb2b
there is a european b16a2 and is hard to get in the states, and is obd1
then there is the b16 SiR2, which is most likely what you are referring to, and is obd1 and found in japan. thats what you want.
there's also the b16a3 found in the del sol vtec, and is rare as hell nowadays, and is also obd1.
if you go obd1, it will be a simply swap.

as for psi, it means jack shit. Thats the problem with the internet. people say X motor can handel Y psi of boost. well frankly, it means nothing. psi is a pressure, as measured at the intake manifold/map sensor. Thats it.
10 psi on a t88 would blow a b16 to peices (probably)
however, 10 psi on a t25 would come no where near its limit.
It's HORSEPOWER and DETONATION that lead to the destruction of a motor, not its psi of boost. Please get that out of your head right now, and you will already be smarter than 89% of the internet turbo losers.

as for the JDM being stronger than the USDM, if anything, its worse. its got a little bit higher compression. Other than that, it's pretty much identical. The parts that matter, such as the sleeves, are the same, and thats what matters the most for boost.... sleeve strength, and reducing detonation.

on a generic t3/t4 turbo kit from drag, max, rev, rev hard, etc, you can put 10 psi on the b16 no problem... with proper fuel management of course.

there are plenty of people who run 20 psi on t3/t4's on stock blocks and have been for a while- and they run hondata.
there are also plenty of people who run 5 psi t3/t4's on stock blocks, and blow up, cuz they used the FMU approach.

tuning is key, and fuel management is a close second.

Yes, I was refering to the JDM B16 found in the SIR2. Thanks for the information. I will look up some more information on the site you mentioned.

Back