B18b Or B18c

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civic2nr9177

hey everybody.Now i know this question has probably been asked loads of times but i am just to lazy to look around for it.I was wandering what would be the best engine for me to sawp into my 97 civic ex.I have always been wanting the b18c1 gsr motor but i figure those are harder to find if i am not buying off of the internet and are harder to find.I am probably still gonna get the gsr motor but i was just wandering how the Ls motor compared to it.Like which one would be the easiest to get power out of and which would be less expensive to fix up?I might get the Ls motor and put an si head on it.Would that be better than the gsr motor.Which motor bolts in the easiest?And one last thing is what all would i need to make it bolt up?Any help on this would be much appreciated.THANKS

A B18b would be pretty easy to put in and it would be the least expensive. Either way if you get a B series into a Civic with a D series motor you are going to need a mount kit from hasport and possibly a new harness. If you get a B18c you would want to go all motor. The LS/VTEC you are talking about will be very pricy to do right and reliable, but it is a Type-R killer. The easiest thing to do is get a B18b and buy either a DRAG turbo kit or Rev hard. Either turbo kit is an easy 100 + hp gain. Very easy, very simple and reliable. The best part about a turbo kit on a B18b is you don't have to tune it to get any power out of it. You can still get it tuned, but you don't need to if you wanna get more power out of it than an all motor B18c which will be a big pain in the ass. Not to mention expensive. If you want to see for yourself then go to http://www.importparts.com/importparts.sto...t/View/21&2D404 and price out a turbo kit and exhaust compared to VTEC cams, springs, retainers, pulleys, p&p head, higher compression pistons, intake, exhaust, header, intake manifold, throttle body, injectors, fuel regulator, pump etc....
You will be happier with a turbo B18b in the end. The only part that might not work from that turbo kit is some of the piping but, that is easy to modify/fabricate.

why not just turbo the b18c motor?I mean it would easily get the most horsepower because the ls is only like 1700 cc and the gsr is like 1800 cc.Well if i get the ls then should i bore it out to a larger displacement.Because you can bore them i pretty big i beleive.And how big should i bore it?

Should i also put a different head on it such as a SI head and would that bolt right u?And the transmission isn't hydraulic is it?If it is not do you recommend me getting one that is.And what car should i get that one from?

First off the LS has a little more CC's than the GSR motor. I believe the GSR has 1797cc's and the LS has 1834cc's right around there. Trust me on this one just because the LSvtec has lilke 30ish more CC's than your standard R it doesn't make it a R killa!!! It will put down a little more TQ at the stock crank and bore level.

You really don't want to just start boring any honda motor bottom end a lot out since it weakens the already weak sleeves and on top of that you want to go turbo? Your going to blow shit up. Hydralic came on 92+civics and 94+integras.

I say first decide on either Naturally aspirated or forced induction? Then give us a budget, and we can try to give you the most bang for your buck.

Milan

Quick question while your sorta on topic, which setup will have greater HP/Reliablility with proper tuning...

B18b Turbo

B18c Turbo

THX!

The problem with turbo charging a motor with an aggressive valvetrain such as a B18c is not only the compression is really high compared to a B18b (10.6 vs. 9.2). Lower compression=more room for boost. With an aggressive valvetrain there will be more overlap which is NOT good for turbo. I have heard of people disengaging the VTEC on their B18c when they turbo it. VTEC+turbo is pretty much not worth it. Defeats the purpose of VTEC. The reason why it is so good is because of the high rpm range which gives the turbo more time to boost. Oh yeah, DON'T BORE THE STOCK CYLINDER WALLS UNDER BOOST UNLESS YOU WANT TO SACRIFICE A SHITLOAD OF RELIABILITY. Just get it sleeved if anything.

Originally posted by civic2nr9177@Jun 3 2003, 05:18 PM
hey everybody.Now i know this question has probably been asked loads of times but i am just to lazy to look around for it.

your too lazy to look around for answers... im too lazy to help you

I heard that if you kept the stock cams and just change the compression on the b18c and got it sleeved the you would have no problem. Or putting turbo cams in it you would have no prob. I am looking into putting in a turbo motor in my vx hatch next year,i am going to have around 10k to work with. No i am not some rich little puck that has money coming out his ass i am working two full time jobs till about next feb. and that is about when i am going to start this project. I was thinking about doing the ls/turbo or maybe a crv/turbo but wondered if doing this and running a higher boost level/high hp & torque, would i be able to get traction?
Either way i would like to hear any input or ideas towards this. Just for some info for you guys it will be a daily driven car and all i like to do is drag race either stripe or street.

Get the GSR motor, there is no reason to choose a LS over it other than price. The "well it's better for boost blah, blah, blah" is bullshit. Fact is the GSR is going to produce a lot more power than a LS before turbo (which you didn't even mention, don't know how it came up) and will be easier to get more out of when you boost it than a LS if you do. Into a 6th gen civic it is a easy swap, as long as you get a 96 + GSR motor. Chack out the swaps section in the tabs above.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jun 4 2003, 08:21 PM
Get the GSR motor, there is no reason to choose a LS over it other than price. The "well it's better for boost blah, blah, blah" is bullshit. Fact is the GSR is going to produce a lot more power than a LS before turbo (which you didn't even mention, don't know how it came up) and will be easier to get more out of when you boost it than a LS if you do. Into a 6th gen civic it is a easy swap, as long as you get a 96 + GSR motor. Chack out the swaps section in the tabs above.

becareful on the usdm 99+ tegs... they use imobilizer's and you will have to get the sterring wheel ignition shit for it to work as well
96-98 is your best bet

cool i might just instead of the gsr i might just go all out and get the type r and boost it. i had a question though if i get either the gsr or type r and boost it around what size piping will i need to run for the exhaust

3 inch

the ITR engine will be harder and more expensive to boost

Don't boost a b18c5 because a: it's got a wilder cam setup than the gsr, and much wilder than the b18b. and 2: it's got even higher compression than the b18c1. Please don't be lazy and find a lil of this info out for yourself. I'm running a b18c1 with Pr3 pistons (11.3cr) and a skunk2 intake mani. It's got good power+ reliability. You should look into a GSR all motor setup. NA is almost always more reliable than forced induction. :werd: alloveryou

Back