B18B1 question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ejclide

Swapper for life!
So I just recently "re-purchased" my 92 civic with the intention that I would immediately swap an ls B18B1 in the car (the D15 is having some serious issues). I already had the motor sitting around, so once I got the car yesterday, I scrounged around and ordered the tranny (5sp), flywheel, clutch, mounts, linkage, and other odds and ends. Well, I wasn't really thinking about it at the time, but the motor is out of an automatic. Originally I figured that I would just throw a flywheel on there and then mate up the tranny and everyone would be happy. Well, now it got me thinking, and that's why I'm bringing this up with you guys. Am I going to run into any issues using the Auto motor? I went to get a throttle body gasket and realized they were different, and it got me worrying.

I noticed on the passenger side of the engine harness that came with the motor there are 4 plugs to mate up with plugs going into the car, where as my civic only has 3. Also, while I'm sure the ECU is a P75, is it going to matter if it's from an auto? If I get a P75 that's for a manual tranny, will I need to replace the engine harness too? and in all honesty, can I just use the harness off the D15 and the computer too? or if not the computer, at least the harness?

I'm really sorry if this issue has been previously addressed, I just figured it would be a confusing subject to try and run a search on. thanks for the help guys.

You will need to get a 5 speed ecu unless you want to convert your auto ecu to manual. If you dont do this it will throw a CEL because the auto tranny is not there. It will probably just be easier to get another ecu if you are not use to soldering on circuit boards. You definetly want to use the right ecu, one for a manual ls integra obd1. You wont have any problems with the motor. The automatic throttle body is a little different because it has a place for another cable to hook up that kicks the transmission down a gear when you open it up all the way. Bolt up your flywheel, clutch, and transmission you wont have any problems. Make sure your flywheel bolts are for a manual, not the automatic flex plate bolts. The automatic bolts are shorter and cant be used. Use the existing harness in your civic, there is no need to use the integra harness. Everything should be plug and play. Good luck. :)

alright, thank you very much for the info. I picked up an ECU on ebay for 80 bucks, maybe a little steep, but I am in a hurry to get this done! I thought the flywheel bolts looked short too, thanks for the heads up.

What size is the 12 point socket for the flywheel bolts? I tried 11/16, but it was a little sloppy, and the only way for me to get the right size is to order it. none of the stores here have one. Stupid useless parts stores.....

your not serious about the bolts are you. they are metric and i put an automatic motor in my car and turned it into five speed there was idle issues with it. it turned out that it was the gasket for the throttle body to the intake mani.

The flywheel bolts are 17mm the pressure plate bolts will be 10mm both of which are 12 point. You shouldnt have any other problems. I have done many auto to manual conversions. My daily driver is an auto to manual conversion, 20000 miles later zero problems.

Yea i've swapped from a 4spd auto to a 5spd tremec manual with my mustang, and it really wasn't all that bad. And with my hatch i also got a b18b1 from an automatic donor car and had to get a 5spd trans, clutch, and flywheel seperately to swap onto it. But yea as far as finding the correct 12pt socket, it can be a pain in the dick. i borrowed it from a friend of mine who's dad works at a trailer place, so where you find the socket or how you get your hands on one might be interesting lol. And what boostin4fun said up above looks pretty acurate as far as what you need to do to make it work

alright. I just made the trip to sears and grabbed the 12 pointers. I just need to find out if the bolts off my D15 flywheel and clutch will work. if anyone knows let me know. It'll save me a step when I get home this weekend to finish the project if I already know they'll fit. Otherwise, experiment time!

god damn, never mind. I just realized the D15 only has 6 bolts on the flywheel. call me a retard. I can probably still use the pressure plate bolts though, correct?

i would think so but i'm honestly not sure. when i installed the flywheel and pressure plate on my b18b i ended up getting flyhwheel bolts from the guy on ebay whom i bought the flywheel from for free, so didnt have to worry bout those. But the pressure plate bolts i didnt have. so i went to home depot and matched the bolt to one that i found in my bolt bin which fit nicely in the flywheel. and just bought a bunch of those.

alright, looks like lindsay acura might be getting my phone call tomorrow. I know I have to get bolts with a very short head as to not interfere with the disc. should be interesting. If anyone has some bolts lying around they'd like to give me, let me know.

Would the bolts from a 5sp B20 be the same? or close enough anyway? Honda's closer than Acura, and a guy I race with is the parts guy so I get shit dirt cheap.

Get the pressure plate bolts from Honda. I am not sure exactly what grade they are from the factory but I know that Home Depot bolts are probably not of the same quality. These bolts are to important to just stick one in that fits. I would get new bolts for the flywheel and pressure plate from the dealer or you will be sorry in the long run.

i doubt i'll have any issue. Theres no major stresses on those bolts. There not going to break outwardly away from the flywheel from tension, the stresses created from the rotation of the engine won't cause this, nor are they going to shear off either, seeing as how their are dowel pins that lock the pressure plate into the flywheel. If it were something like rod bolts or rod caps, then i'd be concerned with home depot hardware. Even so home depot has different grades of hardware i'm sure you're aware, which is why i went with a grade 8 bolt. More than strong enough i'm sure.

alrighty, bolts on the way. ordered them at honda for a B20 since it's a closer drive than an acura dealer. anyone know the torque off hand for those bolts? I know, haynes manual. Well, it's home and I'm not!

thanks george. I guess a lazy fucker like me is too lazy to search...

I'll try harder next time, lol

Back