back fire

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Clark Wilcox

Here we go again. Got the 97 HB running ok, dont know what really fixed the idle problem though. Now have a 98 DX that backfires through the throttle body. Seems to stumble when accelerating / pushing on pedal and feels like it won't fire or take fuel for just a second. Haven't checked the timming yet but did change the cap and rotor, plugs etc. Any thought would be appreciated. Thanks, Clark Wilcox

wet distributer

Here is tidbit about my backfire. The overflow hose came off at the rad cap and sprayed coolant backwards into the dizzy. I found out that dizzy didn't have a gasket either. I took the cap off and found green fluid inside. So, that is probably the initial cause of the problems, however still have an occasional backfire. Will investigate further. Clark

I'll check the timing when i get home today, don't think the wires crossed though. The car runs ok on the freeway, but just won't accelerate like it used to. Just wondering, the timing mark is the middle of the three right? Thanks for the advice. Clark

Checked the timing and found it way advanced. Got the only timing mark I could find lined up with the notch on the cover and it still backfires! Gonna tear into TB now. I'm convinced that this series of Honda's are prone to idle / induction problems. Two cars, 97 and 98 both with similar problems. Very frustrating. Anyone else have the same experiences with this model, or did I get a couple lemons? Overall these have been good cars with few real problems other than the idle / induction system. Your thoughts appreciated. Cark

FIXED !! Here's the bottom line. TPS was bad. All the other problems were incidental to what was really wrong. Finally got a new volt ohm meter and was able to sweep the TPS and found some drop outs. Installed the new TPS, back probed the middle wire and set to 0.5v and 5 v and it new runs perfect, no more backfires. Thanks for your ideas. Clark

Well the TPS didn't solve the problem after all. Started chugging and miss firing again. Did I mention that was always throwing codes, mostly P0301 etc... I've been all over the web looking for an answer and it appears that are multiple causes for these codes. Some could be mechanical, some fuel, some air and some a combination of all the above, very frustrating. Any suggestions ? Thanks, Clark

if the motor in question has over 150K miles on it I would start with a compression test. I have seen many a d series engine burn a valve or two. usually in my experience it's the #3 exhaust valves that go first.

Also double check your plugs, wires etc.

Just fixed an inboard boat engine at work yesterday with a mystery backfire that took a long time to figure out... it was a plug wire arcing. it would run fine if you accelerated slowly, but if you hammered into it, it would stumble and pop a little. I actually only figured it out after being shocked by it. Im wondering in your case if it could be a bad distributor. When you finally find what it is, it will be a glorious feeling :p

Got it !!! After all the cleaning, parts swapping, checking and re-checking: it works. Final answer was an intermittant plug wire short - used my new ohm meter and finally found it by wiggling the boot. Then thought about fuel and went to ck the pressure and bingo, not much comming out. Took off the fuel filter and mud came out the bottom. New plug wires and fuel filter and we're good to go. Thanks for all your help, Clark

Back