Bad wheel bearing?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ok new tires on Monday morning. They are Nexen N5000's, seem to be a performance tire. Anyone know if they are any good. Im new to tire brands and this one is new to me.

Also i wanted the stock size (P195/60R14), turns out to be a "rare" size so its all they had lol...... at Wal Mart.....i work there...... 10% discount really helps.....

Well new tires are on and they are awesome. Shitty thing is that the sound is still there. I might have to cancel my trip to see my GF :(. This thought of a bad wheel bearing is eating away at me. Im supposed to leave tomorrow too. I just dont feel like losing a wheel or dying lol.

Maybe i should just replace em anyway, i wish i had more time, not sure if i should risk it.

Sweet, new tires are win. Idk about the brand you got, but I'm sure they're fine.

I suggest doing an inspection like these guys said. Jack your car up until the front tires are off the ground and start checkin. Try to move the tire like someone said earlier. Put your hands on everything and pish/pull on it. Check bushings, try to fine something loose. Spin your wheels and listen. Are your rotors wearing evenly?

If you have the knowledge and access to the necessary tools, just replace the damn things. If not, call and get quotes for installation. Maybe you can have em done tomorrow morning.

On my phone, sry if there are lots of run-ons.

Im cancelling the trip anyway (she is gonna come see me either way). I know its got to be the bearings. The brakes were checked and that brake dust shield removed and new tires and still. Alot of the symptoms ive read about are there. It feels rough on that side while driving, i can feel it in the steering, it howls or sounds like a scrubbing sound. Happens when going straight, and gets louder and rougher when shifting the weight on that side. If the sound doesnt go when its replaced then ill keep lookin, but im 99% sure its it.

By buddy priced me out 2 front bearings and it came to $230 (CAN), is that a little high sounding? I know online sites have em for more like $40-$80 each but id rather stay local. Im gonna get a price from NAPA and maybe a few more.

Yup im gonna price out 2 front (i assume both fronts are exactly the same), then maybe get my buddys uncle to install them (mechanic all his life). I just want something a little cheaper, even tho my other friends shop is probably the cheapest around.

Mine cost me $50 US each for just the bearings themselves. Idk what a shop would charge you for labor, my guess would be about $100.

fyi i was quoted $650 to have it done at a honda dealership last year. it cost me $300+ in parts to do it with a friend, includes paying to get the bearings pressed in.

Shit, i was almost considering honda too lol. Well i have the bearings now, so thats done with. I may get my buddies to do it if the other guy cant or wont. They said they would only charge me like $100-$150 labour...... but it usually goes higher than that lol, jerks....

I really dont wanna have to dip into the credit card again, i mean ive just put about $700 on it between the tires, bearings and few little things. This is turning out to be a very expensive summer, i still have that pesky rear main seal to fix + new clutch and to put my cams in already + valve adjustment :(.

MIssion accomplished! My buddy installed my bearings and now the noise is completely gone. Everything feels smoother including the brakes, i used to really feel the vibration in the turning and braking and now its gone. Super smooth and super quiet now, im very happy and relieved. Now i have just that much less % chance of crashing on the highway :D.

Back