BIG problem stripped head bolt

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

we dont worry about breaking in CA... you'd have to try and rust something here... lol

Yeah they break in OH, then you have to torch them out. Damn you Californians and your non-rusting stuff. :glare:

Yeah they break in OH, then you have to torch them out. Damn you Californians and your non-rusting stuff. :glare:

x2 but ma parts aint too rusty believe it or not but idk tha head bolt is a 14 and i used the one for 14mm but maybe since it stripped i should have went to the 13mm one idk you guys tell me..

i used a 13mm to take off a 14mm bolt... worked perfectly

ok so ima return tha one i bought and get that one cause the one i have is the 14mm one thanks lets see if this is the problem

were you using 6-point sockets? 12-point sockets dont grip as good. that may be one reason your head bolt stripped. how about using a dremmel to clean the edges of the hex edges and get a smaller socket size to work? keep a set of 6-point metric and standard sockes around. preferably 1/2 inch drive and use a long handled breaker bar or long handled breaker ratchet with at least a 10 inch extension on the socket. once you get the bolt down to a socket size you can get a socket on, smash it on with a hammer and use the extension and long handled drive tool (breaker bar or ratchet) to turn your socket. the long handle and extension will give you leverage to turn the bolt more squarely. i know dremmeling will take forever but youve been stuck for a week on a bolt so forever cant be too much longer. after you get it out be sure to visit amachine shop for a valve job..or at least a resurfacing of your head. good luck

were you using 6-point sockets? 12-point sockets dont grip as good. that may be one reason your head bolt stripped. how about using a dremmel to clean the edges of the hex edges and get a smaller socket size to work? keep a set of 6-point metric and standard sockes around. preferably 1/2 inch drive and use a long handled breaker bar or long handled breaker ratchet with at least a 10 inch extension on the socket. once you get the bolt down to a socket size you can get a socket on, smash it on with a hammer and use the extension and long handled drive tool (breaker bar or ratchet) to turn your socket. the long handle and extension will give you leverage to turn the bolt more squarely. i know dremmeling will take forever but youve been stuck for a week on a bolt so forever cant be too much longer. after you get it out be sure to visit amachine shop for a valve job..or at least a resurfacing of your head. good luck

yea i used a six point at first and i had a ratchet with an extention and a bar on the handle for leverage nuthing my only next thing is to see if the 13mm socket works if not dremmel it is and its taking a while cause my motor is out im swaping it in my eg so time really isnt a concern thanks for tha great info and help... any other ideas keep them coming thanks

seriously though you may want to take your engine to a machine shop and have them take it out. my machine shop does this for only 5 bucks. that suprised me. i seen the guys there removing a stripped head bolt when i was there once. the guy was there waiting and he asked how much and they old him 5 bucks! too bad you might not be able to do that

seriously though you may want to take your engine to a machine shop and have them take it out. my machine shop does this for only 5 bucks. that suprised me. i seen the guys there removing a stripped head bolt when i was there once. the guy was there waiting and he asked how much and they old him 5 bucks! too bad you might not be able to do that

this mught just be my last option ill speak to my mech and see how much but ill probly go to him a week befor my swap get installed thanks again

ight well my bro just picked up the 13mm extractor for me today so lets see what that does hopefully it works out perfect finger crossed lol

is this a new record for having a stripped bolt causing issues the longest length of time? we wanna know if that new tool worked. keep us posted

yea i finally got the stripped bolt out thank god so now im ordering my arp head studs hope to never have this problem again thanks for all the info guys i appreciate it

i used the 13mm but had to give it alittle motivation to go on the head of the bolt and found a bigger and stronger pole to put on the end of the rachet for more leverage and sum pb blaster bango it worked

Back