bogging @ vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Guy

obdo b16a into a crx dx
zdyne 1 wire acu (though the all wires are still hooked up)
ok well the motor is in and it runs great, until i hit vtec. when i get into vtec range it starts to bog. any ideas as to what it may be? thanks

make sure your cat isnt clogged, run open header to make sure. i know B16's cat was clogged and it bogged at vtec

it should be ok as i just swapped a relativly new high flow cat from my integra over. but thanks

what other mods do you have done? maybe your car is not ready to hit VTEC until a higher RPM, if that is the case get a VAFC, and raise the VTEC engagment.

hmm, well i guess ill list everything that ive got
intake/header/skunk2 stg1 cames/aem cam gears/ skunk2 IM/ hondata IM gasket
wierd thing is that im taking this out of my integra where everything was working great(though the skunk2IM and hondata IM gasket are just now put on). im hoping that i dont need a vafc. thanks

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Sep 29 2003, 06:06 PM
make sure your cat isnt clogged, run open header to make sure. i know B16's cat was clogged and it bogged at vtec

there ya go. bingo

it engages as it usually does at 5200.

i appreciate your effort but i am absolutely sure it is not from the cat as it is the one that was on my very much working integra before.

Sounds like ignition timing to me. Try advancing the distributor about 2-3 degrees. I had the same problem and that's what cured mine. Also, even tho you have a high-flow cat, it could be clogged. I have seen some friends buy the crappy brand ones and they clog up really quick. VTEC needs higher flow. And don't quot me on this, but with stage 1 cams, you should probably check to make sure you have enough fuel flow. It might be starving for fuel. check into the possibility of a fuel filter. And yes, I know it sounds like a lot, but I'd even check to make sure the plugs are not fouled.

and mine was on a very much running b16 before when it went. its not like it gradually goes, easy to check out. other than that, timing? it drives totally fine on the low cam lobes?

OK good some one beat me to this I have exactly the same problem my Vtec kicks in at 4900. 1 gear it takes off 2 gear goes in and boggs then starts to pick up then vtec comes on and it boggs again after that this shit start to pull nice with balls..I tried advancing the timing my exhuast is stock from my 90 civic hb
mods or on my SIG. Can the timing belt being a little loose cause
Im going to try to change fuel filter first.

well about the cat, it is a carsound high flow cat and unless it somehow got clogged between taking it off of my integra and being put onto my crx it should be fine, as when i drove my integra before it was put it into the crx and it was working properly.

ill check into the timiing, but the wierd thing is that if i unplug the vtec solenoid it will rev up to and beyond 5200 just fine. but otherwise it runs great until vtec tries to engage.

well checked and it isnt the timing or the solenoid... hmm

Originally posted by Guy@Sep 30 2003, 06:26 AM
well about the cat, it is a carsound high flow cat and unless it somehow got clogged between taking it off of my integra and being put onto my crx it should be fine, as when i drove my integra before it was put it into the crx and it was working properly.

ill check into the timiing, but the wierd thing is that if i unplug the vtec solenoid it will rev up to and beyond 5200 just fine. but otherwise it runs great until vtec tries to engage.

hey, mine somehow became clogged by just changing cams... go figure...

well its gonna be a PITA but were gonna try and change the fuel pump now so hopefully that will do the trick

Originally posted by Guy@Sep 30 2003, 04:44 PM
well its gonna be a PITA but were gonna try and change the fuel pump now so hopefully that will do the trick

spend the 30 bucks and do the fuel filter too. unless its been done recently it wouldnt hurt.

i should also mention that it stops bogging and runs fine after 6500

well it isnt the fuel pump either... so they are just going to re-wire everything and hope for the best.
:worthy: please oh lord of working cars, let this last trial be enough enough to allow my humble ride addmittance into your magnificent kingdom.

Back