1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

boosting a b18cr

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by badassgixxer, Sep 17, 2008.

1. badassgixxer

badassgixxer badassgixxer

i want to boost my new b18cr i just swaped in my 97 civic and i have bin told not to becousee the cant handle the boost any help would be great,and if i can what would you recomend to change on the motor so i dont have any problems.

2. George777

George777 ^^ Likes Bewbies

Any motor can handle boost. It's all in the tune.

3. B16RacerN2NR

B16RacerN2NR Working Hard VIP

:werd:
    but to elaborate on this a little more, it's not wise to boost a type r motor because of it's high compression. Also, when you go swapping things out on a type r motor to handle boost, you defeat the purpose of having a type r motor in the first place.

4. badassgixxer

will the type r handle a small amount of boost. i had just put a turbo kit on my d16y7 and wanted to put it on the new motor,it only 3 months old.

5. B16RacerN2NR

B16RacerN2NR Working Hard VIP

As long as you supply enough fuel and aren't detonating, then it should be ok. It's not gonna last forever though, just like any other motor.

6. badassgixxer

how much boost would be safe then .4-6psi 6-8 psi.i have a 255lph pump and 440 cc injectors.you think that will do.

7. George777

George777 ^^ Likes Bewbies

Depends on the turbo that you are going to run. Every turbo is going to be different. Pick a turbo that you want to install first, after deciding what power number you are looking for, and get the car tuned. It's all in the tune.

8. b16GSR

b16GSR B Series Guru

go and talk to ATS Racing. They tuned a Type-R with a stock bottom end to 424whp on 93 octane pump gas. www.atsracing.net

9. newb

newb phresh VIP

I assume he wants his motor to last. 400+ HP on a stock bottom end B series = short life span.

+1 on the tune. Thats the most important part of any Honda build.

Dont focus on how much you boosting. Focus on how much power you want, then apply as much boost as it takes to get there.

10. badassgixxer

i just want to make it reliable and safe.around 300 350 would be nice on 93 oct.i have a turbo speciltys kit.

11. Matts96HB

Matts96HB . Moderator VIP

PSI means nothing. Its been said millions of times on this board.. it all depends on the size of the turbo, then PSI means something.

Personally I would NOT go above 250whp on that bottom end. Simply because its designed for all motor performance. Definitely not meant to be putting down the numbers stated above. This project is going to require a damn good tune as well.

12. cjvictoria

cjvictoria New Member

DOUBLE UBER :werd: KEEP THAT SHIT NA! IF YOU WANT THAT IS... GENERALLY SPEAKING, A TYPE R RATED AT 300 PONIES NA VS A TURBO R AT 300 PONIES WILL WHUPP THE SHIT OUTTA THE TURBO'D ONE

13. Matts96HB

Matts96HB . Moderator VIP

Really? You think so, huh.

First off, the amount of money to get a B18C5 or JDM B18C to 300whp would be ridiculous. Figure somewhere upwards of $6,000 at least.

Second, what makes you think that an all motor car is going to be faster than a turbo'd car just because its all motor? Sure, all motor is typically the more reliable route. But with a properly sized turbo, you shouldn't notice a difference.

14. FLounder

FLounder power hungry VIP

id like to see a NA type R hit 300whp! and yeah im thinking that the power would be very peaky and that the boosted car with 300whp would probably have a fatter powerband.

i personally think its a shame to turbo a type r. its a very well made engine that was built for all motor performance from the factory

15. BrutalB83

BrutalB83 Brutal Moderator Moderator VIP

What the hell are you talking about? If they're both producing similar amounts of power, and both using the same transmission, then why is that you think one would be so much faster then the other? There would be differences in the power-band, yes, but I don't see why one would have a huge advantage over the other...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  16. b16GSR

b16GSR B Series Guru

where the turbo motor makes its power and where the NA motor makes its power and very different. Assuming the power figures are exactly the same and the weight of the vehicles are the same the NA car will win race because it puts its power down earlier than the turbo car would. Say the cars race from a rolling start. Both cars at 3000 rpm's. The NA motor makes X amount of horsepower at 3000 rpm's as soon as the throttle is opened up. The turbo motor, depending on size, a/r and trim will take a few hundred rpm's to spool up and make the power. Simplified; NA has power right now, and you gotta wait for the turbo. Hope this makes sense. It does to me.

17. newb

newb phresh VIP

Cuz if its N/A its got that mad TyTe JDM 3rd gear Vtek y0!!!1!!1

Obviously no boosted motor in existance could compete with that.

18. newb

newb phresh VIP

Ive waited long enough. I thought someone else would say somethin first. Time to tear this can of worms open.

So let me get this straight. Your tellin me that if you got 2 identicle chassis, both makin the exact same horse power, one will have an advantage on the other? Its not simply a drivers race?

19. b16GSR

b16GSR B Series Guru

not with forced induction vs. naturally aspirated. i understand that 300 hp is 300 hp, but how that horsepower is made makes the difference.

20. AHHVTEC

AHHVTEC Well-Known Member VIP

yall are forgetting that the na 300hp vs turbo 300hp the turbo wins because the turbo will make lots more torque

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted