Bought a new daily driver/tow bitch...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sweet truck, looks like a mini silverado. I wish they would put the 5.3 liter in the colorados. I would buy the first one that came out.

nice truck .... not really diggin the lights .... but thats why its yours and not mine :) :shrug2:

Nice truck...but after you add the expence for gas....you'll come back to Honda...

Monthly truck Payment=$310
Gas for a month=$400
Insurance=prolly a lot....

But good luck with it....Looks sweet...but I gave up on likeing trucks a long time ago

I'm looking through the site, and I built one myself.

I chose the 4WD Sport version, with the power packages and crew-cab. And lemme tell ya, I AM impressed with it.

3.5 liter 5 cylinder getting 20-27 mpg with the 5 speed (or something close) is NOT bad at all. My Celica gets that with a 2.4 liter i4. Locking rear, (I priced the offroading equipment) and a strong suspension setup make it more substantial of a truck than the S10 could ever be.

Decent Weight, decent proportions and great economy considering what it is. And 230 lbs/ft isn't GREAT, but it's decent. If you build a truck for doing light to medium hauling, look forward to offroading and aren't into the big luxo-truck bullshit - then it's perfect. I would find a way to retro-fit the 2000 Yukon nose onto it or something.

The extras are costly. $800 for a tonneau, $1000 for bars, yadda yadda. But if you can strip it down and choose your equipment right (You can choose your final ratio at no extra charge) then you can have a real decent, easy to own truck.

-> Steve

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Jun 8 2004, 02:55 AM
Let me know what you think! :)

The only good thing about it is that its a five-speed. IF only the front-end could have been a better design. Every single chevy truck/suv has that style. I can't believe people buy them. The rear end looks nice though. In five years when you finish paying it off you can do some mods to it.

Did you have to pay full price for it with the 24 miles it had?

I got the truck for 1500 below the window sticker, and then and additional $1500 off and 0.0% financing for 60 months due to a "Truckmonth" special, so no, I didn't pay full MSRP.

I like the truck, it's fun, and it bangs around town nicely.

Fuel milage is 25 MPG travelling at 80-85 MPH on the interstate with stops for food and rest breaks. At 65-70 it would be at least 2-3 MPG better. Around town, beating the crap out of the truck, it got 21 mpg, which is 5-6 MPG better than my Mustang, and right at what my Honda gets, so piss on you gas milage naysayers.

The torque is a little disappointing, but I bought the truck for a daily driver. It might be a little strained when towing the Civic, but that will be a few and far between use of the truck.

I loved the truck at first sight, but the front end takes a little getting used to. I've gotten past the buyers remorse, and every time I get in it, A/C blaring cold, soft XM stereo playing and minimal wind/road noise because of a nicely sealed cab, I'm thankful I made the decision I did.

BTW, you can't get a crew cab with a 5 speed unless it's the 4 banger model. Don't ask me. I wanted that package too. I got the regular cab because it's got the biggest bed, and the jumpseat equipped extended cab was a waste of weight and money for me at least.

Oh, yeah. I called my insurance people. I dropped my Mustang off since I'm going to be opening up a can of worms on it for the next 6 months to a year (FULL SN95 Cobra brake upgrades and my Roush wheel install), so I don't need it to drive.

My insurance went up $4 per month. That's it. Fucking 5.0L Mustangs. :)

Check with the DMV before you yank the insurance...and get what they say in writing....just ask Celerity what happened when he yanked the insurance on a car...while it was still registered. ;)

Why? What happened? As long as the car is in the garage, what can they do? I've got enough cop friends, I don't think it matters, anyway.

The only reason I have to have insurance on any car I own that I'm not driving is because it has a lein against it, and the Civic and the 'Rado are the ones that are being insured... Last time I registered my Mustang, they just asked if I had insurance, and if I had driven the vehicle in the month that it had expired tags.

Fuck the DMV. What they don't know won't hurt them, and the Tennessee DMV is so stupid, I wouldn't expect anything bad out of letting insurance be dropped while it is still registered.

It happened to me...and it happened to Cel....but for him it was way overboard.

When I dropped the insurance on the Supra a long time ago....about a year later...I got a letter from the DMV...saying that I owe them money. $100 and the registration for the car, and the lic plates. I paid...and they still had all the taxes for it messed up...CT DMV blows. And they said I can't register a car untill I paid...and if I don't pay I lose my Drivers lic.

Celerity had 2-3 cars that he dropped the insurance on...while he kept insurance on one car.....well...his nice little letter from the DMV was $1300-3000...and he lost his licence...a few cars and other bullshit.....it seems like the DMV expect everyone to have only one car....and they don't concider people with multiple cars.

so...if you drop the insurance..the insurance company will send a letter to the DMV, saying that they no longer cover that car...and the DMV expects you to either give them a different insurance company policy...or to turn in the tags and registration. If you don't....give them one or the other...then they grab your nuts and it hurts sometimes.....

Just call them and ask before you drop a car's coverage. Get them to send you what they say in writing, and get the persons name and depatment that you talked to....and then that covers your ass.

Yeah, I've had so many cars lapse insurance and registration that I know for a fact that there are 0 penalties for it in Tennessee. :)

Plus, we have VERY low required insurance coverages. Storing cars seems to be the Tennessee statewide passtime. :p

Originally posted by Celerity@Jun 8 2004, 02:28 PM
I know that to get the normal towing packages, the Allison is required

->Steve

Wrong again. The automatic is only rated to tow 100 more than the 5 speed equipped truck, which is conservatively rated at 3900 pounds(4000 for the auto equipped trucks).

I wish my silverado got that kind of gas milage but 16-18mpg is good enough for driving a big ass truck. Just becareful with the towing ranges they give. My s10 zr2 has a towing range of up to I think 5400. My boat with gear in it weighed less than 2000 pounds. That thing was a dog going up hills and getting going. I towed the boat with the silverado got better gas milage and I could hit the gas and the thing would move well. I love the 5.3 engine.

Check with your local DMV not only once, but twice. Talk to different people there.

Find out the proper steps in storing your car, legally. In CT any car you own, even a heap - IF it has a VIN, it must be insured. That includes your driveway project.

For instance, when B had his Del Sol in the garage. The state of connecticut (would now) want it to be insured, and have him paying taxes on it. It wasn't like this 2 years ago, so people are slipping through the cracks.

I did not slip through the cracks, and now face $2400 in fines, and I didn't have a licence for 3 months. Since I Didn't have a licence, they took all of my plates, and now to register a car in my state I have $1320 in leftover fines to pay, plus the cost of registration. All in all, for me to get this cleared, my 2 cars back on the road and done - $2400.

Don't let it slip.

-> Steve

they got some bullshit rules about that in NY too

something along the lines of 100 PER DAY that you car is registered but not insured...

so you need to have insurance on a car in CT even if its not on the road??

what the gay???

Back