Brock Lesnar to attend UFC 74

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Heavyweight fighters are boring as shit to watch.
no, just THOSE Ufc fighters are boring. somewhere there has to be some good fighters that are entertaining.

me personally, i would rather watch the 155 class.

155lbs is too light IMO. Faster pace but less knock out hits.

This rule is defied by people like Sherk that are amazingly strong and can dish out the knock outs, but I love seeing the 170pounders and ~200pounders be athletic, skillful, and dish out knock out blows. Rampage and St. Pierre have to be two of my favorites to watch.

s
155lbs is too light IMO. Faster pace but less knock out hits.

This rule is defied by people like Sherk that are amazingly strong and can dish out the knock outs, but I love seeing the 170pounders and ~200pounders be athletic, skillful, and dish out knock out blows. Rampage and St. Pierre have to be two of my favorites to watch.

There are less knockouts at that class because the fighters have great technique. Their hands/heads are up, their chins are down, and their mouths are closed. Thats why you dont see knockout blows as often - they dont leave anything open. . . . . .. .. . . unlike those heavyweight slobs.

While I may agree with this partially, the major factor is related to the power behind the blows.

This is seen in boxing as well. Believe me, Mike Tyson wasn't some slob that couldn't hold his hands up, nor is Rampage or Lesnar.

The defining factor is the power behind a punch, the added mass and strength just make the damage from a strike that much more devastating. The human body can only withstand so much punishment.

While I may agree with this partially, the major factor is related to the power behind the blows.

You couldn't be more wrong. Why do you think there are weight classes?

Two 155lb'ers land blows on eachother with the same force (on a proportional level) as two 250lb fighters.

Yes the 155lbr's dont hit as hard, but they are smaller and have less mass to absorb the impact. Therefore, the punches do the same damage.

Two 155lb'ers land blows on eachother with the same force (on a proportional level) as two 250lb fighters.

Yes the 155lbr's dont hit as hard, but they are smaller and have less mass to absorb the impact. Therefore, the punches do the same damage.

I'm not going to argue with you and turn this into a war that you desire but I will lay out a simple counter argument.

There's weight classes to keep the level of strength of the fighters and the amount of weight they can use to their advantage, even across the classes. Its not because a 150lb'ers punch does the same damage - CLEARLY IT DOES NOT.

Can a strong 150lb'er bench the same as a a strong heavyweight? Can a 150lb'er compare to a strong heavyweight in any lifts? Strength has a strong correlation with size, therefore its possible for a 150lber to be as strong as a heavyweight, but when you compare people that are at the top of each of their classes, surely the heavyweight will crush the 150lber.

This is the same reason why bodybuilding has weight classes - to keep even competition across the board. Power lifting, wrestling, and any other individual sport that pin one person against another and utilize weight classes for these very reasons.

True a bigger fighter may be able to absorb a blow better than a lighter fighter, but my point still rings true that the human body can only sustain so much damage. Look at lightweights in boxing and look at heavyweights in boxing, compare the knock outs. ...its not due to poor technique its due to the fact that heavyweights have a greater punching power, on a general basis, and can inflict more knockouts.

If we were to hook up sensors and determine the power behind each punch, surely the heavyweight, who possess the same skill as the lightweight, will prevail. Since I'm positive we can agree on this fact, the next step is in determining how a blow is absorbed. A heavyweights skull is not much different than a lightweights skull. Therefore damage is going to be rendered very similarly and not absorbed as you're suggesting. Assuming that each fighter has the same level of bodyfat, then there isn't much difference in the mass protecting other vital organs, either.

Its plain and simple, heavyweights have more knockouts because their punches inflict more damage. Skill level has nothing to do with equation. There's plenty of heavyweight fighters out there that are conditioned and can keep their hands up - look at athletes in the NFL and athletes like Rampage.

Take a step back and read what you wrote, Your statement is irrational and I hope you truly don't believe that argument and were merely attempting to present an invalid point to ruffle feathers.

Last edited:
is there anybody in heavyweight worth a shit period?

Brandon Vera just resigned, other then that

Arlovski
Couture
and soon Lesnar

they're just heavyweights, it's a different kind of fight

that' why people are more into the LH division, the biggest guy fighting possible while still being explosive

Heavyweight fighters are boring as shit to watch.

Fedor is fun to watch, did you guys forget about him?

And I don't care what anyone says, Cro Cop is still a top heavyweight despite him getting layed the fuck out by Gonzaga. That's like saying Liddell isn't a threat in the LH division because of what Rampage did to him.

hold on...

isn't Lesnar from the WWE or whatever?

:huh:

lmmfao...he's going to get slaughtered.

I don't doubt that he's probably got some 'real' experience - I believe I read in this thread that he was undefeated in college...

but wow...

some washed-up fakefighter wants a shot at something other than 'tomato cans' so that he can have a title? It takes a LOT more than pretending to be a wrestler on TV and talking shit in an interview to win a title...a lot more of something that Lesnar doesn't have.

Brock Lesnar is a joke.

Maybe next year we'll get to see a Hughes vs. Hogan fight....or even better, Arlovski vs. Sting!

Last edited:
You quite obviously haven't been watching Human Weapon.

If you're referring to myself, no I haven't.

I sure hope that show isn't advocating the idea that the damage a 150lber does to a 150lber is proportionate to the damage of a heavyweight done to a heavyweight and that you're referring to something other than my post.

hold on...

isn't Lesnar from the WWE or whatever?

:huh:

lmmfao...he's going to get slaughtered

NCAA National Collegiate Wrestling Champion - undefeated his senior year.
WWE
Minnesota Vikings practice squad
K1 Fighting
Going to be signed to UFC soon.

NCAA National Collegiate Wrestling Champion - undefeated his senior year.
WWE
Minnesota Vikings practice squad
K1 Fighting
Going to be signed to UFC soon.

you convinced me. He's definitely championship material.

Minnesota Vikins practice squad...hell, I'd like to see any other MMA fighter try to go through that! whoof...I can only imagine the hell that they're put through there!

Minnesota Vikins practice squad...hell, I'd like to see any other MMA fighter try to go through that! whoof...I can only imagine the hell that they're put through there!

Look up how many people have walked onto a practice squad after *NOT* playing college football.

Also, lets be completely ignorant and overlook the fact that he's a NCAA National Collegiate Champ. Look up the number of national collegiate champs, yet another group of elite athletes.

K1 fighting. His first fight with K1, his opponent tapped out because of Lesnar's punches.

WWE, as much as I despise the show, look at how many people attempt to become pro wrestlers versus those who actually succeed. From all reports of the training and touring, the life is supposed to be grueling.

Now lets look at Lesnar's physical stature and strength.

"So what you really mean to tell me..." is the fact that Lesnar is representative of a group of people that have to be less than 1% of the United State's population.

To sum it all up, he's a freak and clearly you don't follow Lesnar or UFC if you say things like "didn't he do WWE?"

As I told the others, I'm willing to put money on Lesnar's success and would be more than willing to take anyone's bet.

You should try watching it. It'll really open your eyes to the realities of your "bigger and stronger is always better" philosophy. I'm not going to argue with you, anyone who's been watching knows what I'm talking about. The Karate and Judo episodes are especially good and would directly relate. Remember how I was saying that I'd take an old world traditional martial art master over any MMA fighter? Watch the show and see why for yourself.
to put this into perspective, who would win in a fight of say..."jet li vs. shawn sherk". probably weigh the same, but jet li would destry him. real, old world fighters would literally kill an mma fighter before they even knew what happened.

Quote of the day.

With all the towel whippings and ass grabbings, it would be hell . . .

Actually, there is nothing irrational or untrue in what I have posted above.

There's weight classes to keep the level of strength of the fighters and the amount of weight they can use to their advantage, even across the classes. Its not because a 150lb'ers punch does the same damage - CLEARLY IT DOES NOT.

Listen College boy, instead of looking for chances to argue, read peoples posts.

You missed it entirely.

I never said a 150lb person hits harder. I said that when a 150lb person hits somebody in their weight class, they will hit them (the other 150lb person they are fighting) just as hard as a 250lb person hitting somebody in their weight class.

Hey burnout, you are in college right? What weighs more: 50lbs of nails, or 50lbs of feathers?

Ever notice how whenever burnout posts, he ends by saying that your comments are either "irrational", "stupid", or "wrong"? Anybody with half a brain can tell that he has no fucking clue what he is talking about.

Back