1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

building a 92-95 on a budget - read plz!

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by josh_isakson, May 9, 2004.

1. josh_isakson

josh_isakson Member

Yo guys... this should be a pretty simple question

Im going to be running on a budget here, like 3 grand to spend on making my 95 Civic EX 2Dr Coupe faster. Here's what I dont know to do....

1.) Swap and basic bolt-on's with the money left (if there even is any... )

or

2.) Turbo the SOHC, new valve train, port the exhaust, and run like 2.5" or 3" turbo back exhaust...

Which would be faster?

Thanks guys!

2. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Well, a turbo would be faster, but you said the word budget, and while, yes, you can boost on a budget, can you afford to maintain it?

A swap, EVEN a B16A, makes a boring car a fun car. And if you can scrape up a little more, throw in a GSR for a little more fun.

3. beerbongskickass

beerbongskickass Senior Member

I have the exact same car as you. I spent $1100 on my custom turbo kit, $400 on my 3 inch exhaust, and $400 on my ACT xtss clutch. I made 216whp/181tq @ 10 psi. I eat h22's for breakfast, GSR's for lunch, and ITR's for dinner. You have plenty of money to go turbo, but it will take a little more research and fabrication. If your a DIY person it's defintely worth it. You should easily be able to get around 200whp and still have your car be very reliable.

4. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

To some people reliable means knowing it's going to last more than a year or two without any problem.

5. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

i would personally go for a b16 swap. you get better engine response if you autoX. and if you want to upgrade you can go for an ls/vtec, and still keep the mods(such as i/h/e, head work, high CR pistons, etc.) that you made while you had the b16.

6. evo8

evo8 Senior Member

hey dude, i have a 95 civic ex coupe also, and im on a budget too. but what i would do is turbo you sohc is if has good milage, mine has 175,000 so i will probly swap it out later on the road then turbo that beast.

7. b16ahatch

b16ahatch Senior Member

definatley go with a b16 swap. Yes, turbo would be faster but as 92b16vx said do u have the money to maintain. B16 swap all the way bro, no doubt about it.

8. beerbongskickass

beerbongskickass Senior Member

Can you guys explain what you mean by maintaing a turbo car? I would like to know what is so hard or expensive. I would hope you keep up the regular matinence, no matter if your car was turbo or N/A (oil changes, filters, etc...). I don't think it's that much effort at all as long as you know what your doing. Reliabilty depends on fuel management and tuning. I have no doubt my car will last a long time.

9. 91crx

91crx Senior Member

go turbo the motor you have is a good motor and should not be wasted, turbo is alot of fun, and you wont regret it .

Brett

10. josh_isakson

josh_isakson Member

When I made this post I asked which would be the faster car, so my questions have been answered!

Thank you everyone for your input!

Sincerely,

Josh Isakson

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted