building a 92-95 on a budget - read plz!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yo guys... this should be a pretty simple question

Im going to be running on a budget here, like 3 grand to spend on making my 95 Civic EX 2Dr Coupe faster. Here's what I dont know to do....

1.) Swap and basic bolt-on's with the money left (if there even is any... )

or

2.) Turbo the SOHC, new valve train, port the exhaust, and run like 2.5" or 3" turbo back exhaust...

Which would be faster?

Thanks guys!

Well, a turbo would be faster, but you said the word budget, and while, yes, you can boost on a budget, can you afford to maintain it?

A swap, EVEN a B16A, makes a boring car a fun car. And if you can scrape up a little more, throw in a GSR for a little more fun.

I have the exact same car as you. I spent $1100 on my custom turbo kit, $400 on my 3 inch exhaust, and $400 on my ACT xtss clutch. I made 216whp/181tq @ 10 psi. I eat h22's for breakfast, GSR's for lunch, and ITR's for dinner. You have plenty of money to go turbo, but it will take a little more research and fabrication. If your a DIY person it's defintely worth it. You should easily be able to get around 200whp and still have your car be very reliable.

To some people reliable means knowing it's going to last more than a year or two without any problem.

i would personally go for a b16 swap. you get better engine response if you autoX. and if you want to upgrade you can go for an ls/vtec, and still keep the mods(such as i/h/e, head work, high CR pistons, etc.) that you made while you had the b16.

hey dude, i have a 95 civic ex coupe also, and im on a budget too. but what i would do is turbo you sohc is if has good milage, mine has 175,000 so i will probly swap it out later on the road then turbo that beast.

definatley go with a b16 swap. Yes, turbo would be faster but as 92b16vx said do u have the money to maintain. B16 swap all the way bro, no doubt about it.

Can you guys explain what you mean by maintaing a turbo car? I would like to know what is so hard or expensive. I would hope you keep up the regular matinence, no matter if your car was turbo or N/A (oil changes, filters, etc...). I don't think it's that much effort at all as long as you know what your doing. Reliabilty depends on fuel management and tuning. I have no doubt my car will last a long time.

go turbo the motor you have is a good motor and should not be wasted, turbo is alot of fun, and you wont regret it .

Brett

Originally posted by b16ahatch@May 10 2004, 09:24 AM
definatley go with a b16 swap. Yes, turbo would be faster but as 92b16vx said do u have the money to maintain. B16 swap all the way bro, no doubt about it.

When I made this post I asked which would be the faster car, so my questions have been answered!

Thank you everyone for your input!

Sincerely,

Josh Isakson

Back