Burning enough oil to choke on

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RFHOMI2U

B18A, stock pistons/rings, cometic head gasket (just replaced today) and all cylinders are showing a compression test of 192psi per cylinder exactly. The second I start up the car, it runs like shit, Blows out TONS of oil smoke, and cylinders 2-3 have oil dripping off of the plugs.

Compression tests indicate it is not rings or a headgasket, what the hell could be causing oil to fill cylinders 2-3???

I had the valve seals changed when I rebuilt the motor, BUT----- there is oil in the intake manifold runners for cyls 2-3 ----- which could indicate possibly bad valve seals.

It only took 10 seconds of running it for it to blow out tons of oil smoke and fill the cylinders. DEF. not rings. What could it be with a perfect compression test????

Valve seals????? Valves???

- oh yea, cylinders 2-3 also have oil chilling in the runners on my turbo manifold.

thanks.....

it sounds like valve guides or seals. i see u had new valve seals installed, could they have been installed incorrectly?

Is 192psi a good rating for each cylinder?

Does it definitely not sound like rings? i would hate to have to pull the engine out and rebuild it AGAIN if it only needs head work.

i dont see how oil could leak UP past the piston rings and fill the cylenders when the motor is just setting. but on another note oil in the cylenders will give you good compression readings even if rings are bad. try a leakdwn test b4 u pull it apart agin.

Figured it out.... I feel like an idiot. Sparkplugs. Ya live and ya learn I guess.

UPDATE: todays problem: bad headgasket, coolant leaking into cylinders.

RESULT: Hydro lock. Time to buy a new block I guess.

Originally posted by RFHOMI2U@Sep 15 2004, 02:36 PM
Figured it out.... I feel like an idiot. Sparkplugs. Ya live and ya learn I guess.

UPDATE: todays problem: bad headgasket, coolant leaking into cylinders.

RESULT: Hydro lock. Time to buy a new block I guess.
[post=390693]Quoted post[/post]​

THAT sucks. :thumbsdown:

yea. what do you mean?

Spark Plugs shouldn't make it smoke.

There is 2 common ways of oil entering th combustion chamer.
1. Seeps or in my case pours through the cylinder walls and pistons.
2. Through the valves, seals, etc.

My question, would coolant really result in hydro lock?

Maybe you shouldn't mess with the new block, if you blew the head gasket, had a smoking problem and ended up with a hydrolocked engine you probably did something wrong.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong, just learning on the way.

A blown head gasket shouldn't cause enough coolant/water to cause hydrolock. How long were you driving it with the blown head gasket? Or if you just installed it, then are you sure it was put on correctly.

It doesnt take much water or coolant or urine or any liquid to hydro lock. Any liquid in there can do it. Liquids arent compressable, so when the piston comes up, it tries to compress something that wont compress, and things (like rods, valves, rings etc) break due to all the stress.

Coolant can enter the cylinders if the part of the headgasket that blows is at the water jacket. Sometimes its not, like on my CRX, the headgaket is leaking oil out of #4 on the block. Not a big deal, still runs good because the compression ring is still intact.

-Chris

Back