Cam Question- B20b Vs B18b Vs B18a

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

saturn_boy96

88 C1V1C 53D4N DR1V3R
OK i'm putting togther a very hybrid motor for my 95 civic. ive got a b18a1 block with b18a1 pistons. the entire rotating assembly has been harmonically balanced. i plan to add a turbo later thats why i'm keeping the stock pistons. the head and intake manifold have been port matched, and the intake and exhaust manifold have been smoothed and polished. i plan to upgrade the cams along with the valvetrain when i upgrade to forced induction, but until then i would like to know which cams i should use? which cam set is more aggressive, or can i measure them somehow?

thanks a lot

Upgrade your bottomend while its out, your pistons wont last if you plan to add a decent amount of boost.

I believe someone makes turbo cams for your ride.

Milan

thanks a lot

Ok, now i'm asking the people with some good info. What do ya got for me? which cams? i am assembling the motor now, i will upgrade the valvtrain(i.e. cams and all) later(i.e. when i have more money). so which cams should i use, i don't have access to a dyno so i can't do it that way.

Cam gears would be a good investment. The stock spec cams already have a decent amount of lift and duration, especially for a turbo car which benefits less (than a n/a car) from a higher lift. My suggestion try tuning with the intake cam0 slightly advanced 1-4deg. and exhaust slightly retarded 1-4 deg. The time you take on a dyno after the turbo is in will be well worth it!

ok never mind since no one is actaully going to answer my question.

i'll just lay the cams against eachother so i can see which cam has the highest lift and which cam has the longest duration. i'll let you know.

and for the record, with an n/a car you want both high lift and long duration, because you want some overlap.

with a TURBO car you WANT HIGH LIFT and SHORT duration, to produce as little overlap as possible so you aren't wasting precious air.

Back