1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cam Question- B20b Vs B18b Vs B18a

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by saturn_boy96, Jun 19, 2003.

1. saturn_boy96

saturn_boy96 88 C1V1C 53D4N DR1V3R

OK i'm putting togther a very hybrid motor for my 95 civic. ive got a b18a1 block with b18a1 pistons. the entire rotating assembly has been harmonically balanced. i plan to add a turbo later thats why i'm keeping the stock pistons. the head and intake manifold have been port matched, and the intake and exhaust manifold have been smoothed and polished. i plan to upgrade the cams along with the valvetrain when i upgrade to forced induction, but until then i would like to know which cams i should use? which cam set is more aggressive, or can i measure them somehow?

thanks a lot

2. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

Upgrade your bottomend while its out, your pistons wont last if you plan to add a decent amount of boost.

I believe someone makes turbo cams for your ride.

Milan

3. saturn_boy96

thanks a lot

Ok, now i'm asking the people with some good info. What do ya got for me? which cams? i am assembling the motor now, i will upgrade the valvtrain(i.e. cams and all) later(i.e. when i have more money). so which cams should i use, i don't have access to a dyno so i can't do it that way.

4. hondaguy72

hondaguy72 Member

Cam gears would be a good investment. The stock spec cams already have a decent amount of lift and duration, especially for a turbo car which benefits less (than a n/a car) from a higher lift. My suggestion try tuning with the intake cam0 slightly advanced 1-4deg. and exhaust slightly retarded 1-4 deg. The time you take on a dyno after the turbo is in will be well worth it!

5. saturn_boy96

ok never mind since no one is actaully going to answer my question.

i'll just lay the cams against eachother so i can see which cam has the highest lift and which cam has the longest duration. i'll let you know.

and for the record, with an n/a car you want both high lift and long duration, because you want some overlap.

with a TURBO car you WANT HIGH LIFT and SHORT duration, to produce as little overlap as possible so you aren't wasting precious air.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted