cheap stroker kit for a B16

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rsaeini

is it true that you can use a B18C crank, rods, and pistons to stroke a B16A to 1797cc ???
if you're going to answer this question please back it up with facts.

i was reading up on the Toda B16 stroker kit and it mentioned that it will make the stroke 87.2 from it's stock 77.4mm. if i'm not mistaken, the b18c has a stroke of 87.2, right? so wouldn't it make sense that you could use the b18c components and have a home-made stroker kit?
the bore of the 2 engines are the same so it doesn't really matter which piston you use...well, sort of...i know you need to worry about piston-to-valve clearance whenever you change the stroke of it and you'll probably have to get it blue-printed.

any thoughts???

now, i know the B16B and B18C blocks are the same so this concept will definitely work on the CTR block but i'm curious to know if it will work on a B16A block.

a B18C crank goes for about $400-500+/- and you can get some eagle rods for about $350 +/-, get some ITR pistons for $300+/-.
do the labor yourself and you just got a b16 stroker kit for about $1200+/-, roughly half the price Toda charges.

The deck height on the B18C is higher, and the stroker kit probably uses custom length rods and pistons. If you really want a 1.8L B series block, just go buy the B18C.

i was just curious about that.

does any have specs on the different components of the 2 engines in question? deck height, rod lenght, crank specs, etc...

also, what's is the rod ration on the B18C ?

I don't know exact deck height (B18C is like 8mm taller or something), but the information you're looking for is in the reference section...

B16A
Rod = 134.36 mm
Stroke = 77mm
Ratio = 1.745

B18C
Rod = 137.90 mm
Stroke = 87.2mm
Ratio = 1.581

thanks for the specs.

PS- rod lenght and rod ratio aren't in the reference section. it only lists the following:

Displacement (cc): 1595
Power (bhp@rpm): 160@7600
Torque (ft/lbs@rpm): 111@7000
Compression Ratio: 10.4:1
Bore (mm): 81
Stroke (mm): 77.4
Cam Design: dohc

has anyone ever known someone who had a stroked B16. i'm curious what the outcome/performance differences would be.

i was thinking about stroking my B16 but i decided against. i'm still interested in learning about the concepts behind stroking.

so from my under standing, if you install the Toda stroker kit you will basically have a stock B18C.
basically here is what the kit is promising compared to a stock B18C. it's nearly the same as a stock gsr block.

B16 with Toda stroker kit:
rod ratio = 1.54
displacement = 1797cc
compression = 11.0:1
stroke = 87.2

stock B18C:
rod ration = 1.58
displacement = 1797cc
compression = 10.0:1
stroke = 87.2

i just want to know what the benefits are to stroking the tiny B16.

Originally posted by rsaeini@Sep 26 2003, 06:55 PM
i just want to know what the benefits are to stroking the tiny B16.

Well, you get to have the 1.8 liters of displacement and still have the B16 stamp on the block...sleeper... :sleep:

there is a guy that drives around where i live with a b16 crx, and he put a b17 crank shaft into the b16, and ctr pistons. He said it was a nice power gain, and a good source for getting a little bit of torque out of the b16. i cannot say much more than that, as i have only talked to him once and i have not riden in his car.

Originally posted by rsaeini@Sep 26 2003, 06:55 PM
has anyone ever known someone who had a stroked B16. i'm curious what the outcome/performance differences would be.

Based on your information, it looks like Toda's using rods that are slightly shorter than the B16 units, and pistons with higher wrist pin mounts and/or shorter compression heights. The only real advantage you have there is getting 1.8L in a block that's stamped "B16", and one point of compression. It's not that hard to get to 11.0:1 compression in a GSR engine though...

So you gain displacement, lose rod/stroke ratio compared to stock without gaining the benefit of the crank girdle that the B18C comes with, and you have to worry about spec'ing out new bearings for your crank and rods (most likely, dunno for sure). The way I see it, you basically turn your B16 into an LS/VTEC (geometry) with a B16 head, and slightly higher compression.

resleeve it with a larger displacement bottom and the cost will be the same but you will get a 2.0 instead of a 1.8,,,fuck the sleeper stamp..

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Sep 26 2003, 07:49 PM
me personally?

I would sell the b16 and buy something....
oooh, more "exotic" :ph34r: :lol: :thumbsup:

wink...good one tony. i need that new position to be able to afford something "exotic".

good stuff John. coming through with the answer i was looking for. thanks.

iv read in HCI that you can use b18 crank but im pretty sure that you have to get custom rods made ill find out and let you know

you can get all the custom stuff done but it is much cheaper to just a used GSR shortblock, see those going for 500 from time to time and you can't beat that plus you can sell your b16 bottom for like 200-300 and bammm, you have a 1.8 for literally 300 or so bucks if you do all the work.

good luck.

don't you have to notch the bottom of the cylinder walls for the rods to clear from the extra stroke?

I have a b16b and I just bought a gsr crank and some eagle rods. I plan on doing the work my next free weekend. I will let you know what gains I make. It should be a little better than an ITR becuase of the higher compression pistons and the ctr cams. I can't wait.

Back