check out what hap. to my turbo !!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonyd0821

Banned
almost got the head off, and was having some problems with a few bolts, so i took a break, popped off the intake pipe and noticed oil coming from the turbo....
not a good sign..

its looking more and more like the oil had entered the fans and
the pics of the damage speak for themselves...

im thinking that my dumbass fucking neighbor who originally tapped my oil pan (and conveinently forgot to tap the oil return hole) caused this mess. nobody thought to check the guy's work since he owns his own shop, and it was getting late...

so we fired it up, and like the thread i created a few months ago, oil shot out of the bov. this was the first day of the turbo install. this could be the reason the fans in the pics are fucked.

or maybe it was still going on ?

is this turbo fucked? can i get it rebuilt? how much would they charge?

s3f887fec1adc1.jpg

s3f887f5c9c414.jpg

:eek: HOLY FUCKING SHIT!! those blades are FUBARed all to hell!! i think you can get new blades for turbos. but GEEZUS man that thing is fuct up looking.

I am sure it can be fixed, but it might cost a little money. I would say that you talk to guy who installed it, and make him fix it.

to top it off, the guy's wife fucking sideswiped my car a few weeks ago....

not much damage, but i got 3 estimates and gave them the highest one....

Originally posted by kylemarhx@Oct 11 2003, 05:29 PM
wtf can cause that?

thats what im trying to figure out...

i THINK the very first day we installed it, when the oil coming from the turbo to the oil pan could not enter the oil pan due to that fucktards incompetance, it just shot back from the edge of the oil pan.....

ALL THE WAY into the throttle body.

inside the charge pipes, there is a GROOVE that was cut into the metal by the oil being shot through it at a high rate of speed.

the thing that is making me wonder....

this all happened 6 months ago.

why would there STILL be residual oil left in the turbo?

Originally posted by Tonyd0821+Oct 11 2003, 05:31 PM-->
kylemarhx
@Oct 11 2003, 05:29 PM
wtf can cause that?

thats what im trying to figure out...

i THINK the very first day we installed it, when the oil coming from the turbo to the oil pan could not enter the oil pan due to that fucktards incompetance, it just shot back from the edge of the oil pan.....

ALL THE WAY into the throttle body.

inside the charge pipes, there is a GROOVE that was cut into the metal by the oil being shot through it at a high rate of speed.

the thing that is making me wonder....

this all happened 6 months ago.

why would there STILL be residual oil left in the turbo?

holy shit, it cut into the charge pipes!?!?!?!?! that's crazy. still dosen't explan your fucked up turbine though. and if you're still gettin' oil in the turbo, your seals are probably fuck'd from the original fuck up.

Originally posted by kylemarhx@Oct 11 2003, 05:37 PM
still dosen't explan your fucked up turbine though. and if you're still gettin' oil in the turbo, your seals are probably fuck'd from the original fuck up.

could this be the reason why my motor got shot?

if so, im suing that asshole for fucking negligence. he owns his own shop, he should have exercised reasonable care in tapping the pan, REGARDLESS of whether or not he was doing it for free.

i wouldn't know man. do you even know what's wrong with your engine yet? did you bust a rod? melt a piston?... i don't see how just gettin' some oil in the pipes would fuck anything up... as it sounds like it didn't even make it into the engine. more details y0.

That really sucks man. If oil couldnt get out from the turbo bearings, it would probobly just leak past the seals and into the turbine and compressor housings right? Hence the oil leaking out of the turbo. As for the fucked compressor vanes, if oil sitting in the turbo inlet was left to sit until the turbo was spinning, it is very possible that the oil and bit of other crap acted as an abrasive and fucked up the leading edge of the impeller. It seems hard to believe but i know for a fact that airplanes that operate out of water ( ie floatplanes ) go through propellers much faster the ground based airplanes because the water acts as an abrasive on the prop blades and wears them down. Also keep in mind that propellers rarely exceed 3000 rpm while turbos depenting on the type can spin up to 120000 rpm.

Thats my theory

Sean

maybe some a**hole put sand in your filter thats what it looks like happened to the veins. Cuz I really think that just oil wouldnt do that, just think about sand blasting that usually only take s a bit of metal off with the paint so their had to be something abrasive in there. you should probly check your oil pan for shit in it!

first off and foremost, i decided to boost my d16 for three reasons.

1. short on cash
2. fully realized that any "all motor" sub 15 second ek coupe with a swap, needs more than i/h/e. i did not have the time to send my car into a shop, wait for their bitch asses to fucking lag, and then get it back.
3. i wanted to see if turbos were any fun.

well...

1. i did not make any comments to anyone, but i was NOT satisfied with my "d" series engine nor its tranny.

it had NO top end whatsoever. a fucking maxima with an exhaust took off on me on the fwy.

the tranny plain sucked. i dont know exactly what sucked about it, but i did NOT like the way it drove.....something .... i cant put my finger on it, but if u ever driven a "d" series then u know what im talking about...

the motor itself....

if i were to drive normally, in normal traffic, i would HAVE to be in boost if i wanted to keep up with the other cars. when i grannied the civic, so as to stay out of boost, and keep that fucking blue box from giving me 130 miles to the tankfull, i would take off slower than shit.

so, lesson learned. im only out a few hundred dollars, my buddy's shop half-assed sponsored the greddy kit into my car.

im dropping a "d" series back into the civic. im putting the turbo on Ebay, after i get it fixed.

im saving up and buying a gsr, THEN going custom turbo, since i allready know so much about them, it should be a snap.....cept for sourcing...i hate sourcing....waste of time, imo.

and yes, i am TOTALLY missing the sound of my bov. on a DAILY basis. i caught myself wondering why i wasnt hearing my bov, as i was driving a relative's 1987 honda accord down the street.

you guys think i missed my chick when we broke up? that aint SHIT to how much i miss driving a boosted car.

"d" series are ok motors. just dont expect too much out of them, and they will do you good.

im taking my time, this time and doing it right.

im going to save up for a few months, then buy a complete gsr swap for around 4k or so. im going to try and figure out how to do it myself, and the knowledge i will gain when i swap out my busted "d" series for a brand new "d" series, will adequately prepare me for the gsr swap.

then im going to boost it with a custom turbo set up. my aim is 12's on street tires, daily driven. looking as stock as possible.

just a plain looking civic, with balls to back up the shit i talk. :D

OK, first off, this is really Loco Honkey posting... I'm at Frito's house and I don't feel like logging in as myself.

As for the turbo, I'll address the blade damage first. The grind marks are definetly without a doubt caused by FOD and NOT oil. Oil would NOT do that to a compressor wheel. However, what strikes me as odd is the pattern of damage. It's only on the primary blades; not the secondaries. This leads me to believe that sand or dirt wasn't getting sucked in, but something was dangling in the intake just enough to touch the primary blades. Was the turbo like that when you installed it?

Oil problems- a faulty compressor seal will allow the compressor to suck oil from the center section into the compressor housing, or a clogged air filter will do the same. As for the groove, the oil didn't cut it. It takes 14,000 PSI to cut concrete, and about 20,000 PSI to cut mild steel. I don't care how much oil was getting into your intake; it wasn't anywhere enough pressure to groove your charge pipe.

Giving up on the D series because it sucked gas and was slow as fuck? Sounds to me like you didn't really think out your setup or know how to tune out the bugs. Tranny? Be more specific. Maybe you've never driven a car with taller gears.

Oh well. I think you should give it another chance, but I know you won't, so forget about it.

that shit is fucked up!! dude I had some issues with my turbo that kinda resemble yours ( with the oil shooting out the bov.) I was having some blow by and every one said that it wasn't that much when they looked at it. One turbo shop pointed out that if two much blow by was getting pasted the pistions into the oil pan the pressure wouldn't let the oil drain. Many people diagreed with this idea, saying that it wasn't enough pressure. But the only time you can check the blow by is at idel. So with out any load on the engine you can't really say that. did a compression test which told all. all cyninders read 180 and one cyninder read 60 (b16). if the cyinder is losing that much compression just imagine what is trying to blow out that turbo drain line. problem solved.

How would foreign objects get into his turbo. Can we see some more pictures, perhaps of the turbo setup when it was in the car.

If debris was being sucked into a leak around the filter, then that would explain the blade damage an the cuts in the charge pipe. If for example, sand was getting into the turbo and then it would be accelerated and passed out into the charge pipe. Because it was spinning in the impeller housing and then sent into a pipe, centrifugal force would cause the sand to follow pretty much the same path in the pipe, causing a slot to be cut.

As for the primaries being damaged and not the secondaries, it looks like the primaries extend out a little bit further then the secondaries wich would mean they would take all of the impact of whatever gets into the intake and leave the secondaries untouched. Remember that the air going into the turbo is attacking the impeller blades at a pretty high angle that might shield the secondaries from incomming crap by the primaries

"karma" is all I have to say :p

and the turbo is fucked. It's not even an expensive turbo, I'd just junk it. With that kind of damage, your looking at a whole new wheel, and with that kind of damage, I'd say there is no chance that the bearings are still perfect.

Back