Code p0172, fuel system too rich

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eg6sir

Supa Mod
VIP
Integra has been throwing this code on and off lately.. p0172, fuel system too rich

any ideas?
bad MAP?
bad o2?

well the redneck way you could stick a screw driver to it while its running then put your ear to it and see what one sounds different from the others lol.or a multi meter. ive never used the multi meter tho. i know at the shop we have a tester that all you do is touch it.

I suffer from extreme tinnitus... hearing anything click is not going to happen...lol... can barely hear my phone ring half the time

I'll see if I can get my roommate to take a listen for me

Maybe the primary O2 is going out? Do you have a spare one to try? I figure buying a new one is kind of a pricey experiment.

thats what i was reading.. bank 1 o2 sensor.. i can get a Denso for $60 online.. i'll see if i can come up with one to test with

also.. its dying at idle, kinda stubbles up and down then dies... bogs a little taking off but drives and accelerates fine

see if you can find a shop near you that offers injector cleaning and testing i know strictly modified in IL does

yea.. it needs a tune up.. was going to do that and the o2 together... maybe i'll try the tune up first

it putters a little at idle too

When you do the tune up check the valve adjustment and check the distributor timing too. I just bought a 95 DX and replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, timing belt, adjusted the valves and realigned the distributor timing. It made a world of a difference.

i checked the timing a while back... i'll be replacing the valve cover gasket and spark plug seals while i'm at it.. oil seeping on the valve cover.. gonna make sure the timing marks line up too, always suspected timing belt wasnt done right ever since Jens uncle did it a few years ago

not exactly sure about the valve adjustment... all i know is this car doesnt get beaten on, rarely goes above 3k.. that is unless i'm driving.. lol.. Jen drives it 99.8% of the time and she's very conservative

Last edited:
Either way, I'd check the valve adjustments since you're gonna do the timing and the valve cover gaskets. You'll be in there anyways so you might as well. Even if the car is not beaten on it still gets normal wear and tear and could be a little off. Check the distributor timing with a light as well just so you know everything is set right.

Other than vc/spark plug gaskets, where can it leak from? Am I better off just getting the gasket kit and doing everything?

Attachments

• IMG_20140115_145132_652.jpg
    IMG_20140115_145132_652.jpg
    735.8 KB · Views: 1,720
I would buy the whole kit. Replace the grommets for the valve cover nuts and maybe the distributor gasket too.

Spark plugs is a good idea too

have the plugs and wires, waiting on cap/rotor to get here

yea, gonna get the kit... it comes with the washer gaskets too i believe..

Last edited:
got the tune-up done this morning... still sounds like it misfires randomly while at idle.. seems to drive fine

also, i fucked up.. broke the distributor cap screw off in the distributor.. was thinking they were like the oem honda ones and would stop turning when tight.. nope, kept turning and it broke off flush in the dizzy.. any idea of how to remove it... i tried taking the dremel and notching a groove in it and backing out with a flathead.. didnt work

Back