Code p0172, fuel system too rich

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

If you have some JB Qwik you could use a spare screw or something and get a dewdrop size of it on the end of the screw and then set it on the broken part of the screw in the dizy then wait about 20-30 mins until it hardens then unscrew it.

Ended up just drilling it out.. bought a new bolt at Lowes and it threaded right in still

Jen just got home and told me check engine light came on again.. 2 codes this time
p0170- fuel trim malfunction
p0172- fuel system rich

just did a tune up, so that is out of the way..

Vacuum leaks also cause this issue, in addition to the fuel regulator (unlikely if it's stock, but CAN happen) and MAP/MAF sensor malfunctions.

Yea .. bone stock... no idles surges so I don't think it would be a vacuum leak.. pretty sure it has the original o2 sensors w/ 160k on them

I'll get some carb cleaner and check for leaks

Jen just got home and said her car is ticking... because of my tinnitus i cant really hear it, so i made a recording.. thoughts?

Did you check the valve lash? It's hard to tell but it almost sounds like the valves are slapping maybe.

not yet.. gotta order the gasket kit still since they need to be replaced anyways

Not sure what it is, gonna have my buddy with better ears and knowledge check it out. I'm gonna guess the o2 is the culprit because its the original with 160k on it

going to pick up a multimeter from a buddy later.. never used one before though, so im not sure how to operate the thing.. lol

also.. should i check the o2 from the actual sensor or from the ecu end.. ecu end is obviously easier

try cleaning it... on the dyno, they often take a blow torch to the sensor end to clean off carbon build up, etc on the wide band. It may just be super dirty after 160k 'light' daily driver type miles.

Back