coilover decision: Skunk2 or Ground Control?

Which coilovers should i get?

• Ground Control coilov

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i guess the real question is if the ground controls are really that much bettter.

i have an 89 crx dx. the reason i want coilovers is because i am tired of crawling over driveways and scraping on drainage ditches with my eibach sportline springs (1.8" drop). i currently have kyb gr-2 shocks & struts.

thanks for your input!

I had GC's on my civic, and my brother inlaw got Skunk2's. I personally liked the GC's better, but Skunk2's are good quality also.

yep. this is how 100% of the driveways are here in socal. i have to take them all on an angle.

s3fc49595ecdf0.jpg

I put skunk 2's on my CRX and let me tell you, the ride is so stiff, it's almost unbearable for the street. I have ridden in cars with ground controls, and they rider very nicely. Honestly, i really don't see the point in coilovers on a street car, because lets use this scenario: You set the car to the ride hight you so desire, buy a camber kit for X amount of dollars, and spend $60 getting a 4 wheel alignment, and the car is pefrect. Then you go to a show, lower your car, and that expensive alignment you just got, just went out the window, and you'll have to get another alignment. See my point? Trust me on this, for a street car, just get a good set of struts and lowering springs. Personally, on my EK I run KYB AGX struts, and eibach sportline springs, And I love the ride. Even when I had coilovers, I never adjusted them at all anyway, so I figured, what the hell was the point.

IMO the real advantage of ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT coilovers would be for road racing/auto-x so that you could get your car corner weighted for better handling.
I have been thinking about this because I plan on getting to a few auto-x events next summer and then I thought (now that there is snow here in MN) it would be nice to have coilovers so that in the winter I could put the ride height back to stock..... but then I lose my espensive corner weighting job and would have to have it done again next summer

solution.... Eibach Prokit with Tokico Illumina shocks.... in the spring though so that I don't hit too many snow burms driving around this winter

as far as driveways go.... there is no getting around driving them at an angle, hell, at stock height on my civic I still have to take 80% of driveways at an angle
they don't design driveways for cars anymore... they design them for drainage which is gay

reason #2312423546323 why cali sucks... they can't even make drainage systems underground like the rest of the fuckign world.

this idea might not be totally practical and might in fact ruin your hood but here goes....

back when I was a kid I had this RC truck that had a ladder on top of it and whenever it ran into something it would reverse and lay the ladder down and drive over the ladder.... the thing could go pretty much anywhere

so what you do is make some crazy ass setup that then you pull up to a driveway like the one you sketched you just hit a button and your hood flips forward and makes a nice little ramp to help you get across retarded drainage channels
then it simply pulls the hood back to it's original location once you are over the obstacle .... this could work for speed bumps and road kill too if you want to lower your car more

EDIT: Crap! this was one of those pointless stupid posts and now I'll probably get a warning..... sorry :unsure: , won't happen again... I just thought of that truck and wanted to post about it

seanjean - my crx was stock for 12 years, and i never had a problem scraping on driveways, even taking them fast. the GC's take it up to within 1/2" of stock height.

stock height:
fbca068c.jpg

my crx (1.8" drop):
s3fc4ffb2b71cb.jpg

I have Skunk2 coilovers and they offer a REAALLY stiff ride. They really bust your ass if you don't take a smooth course of travel; i.e. speedbumps and potholes. They are of excellent quality, but again the springs are super stiff, and that's just with their base coilover springs, not to mention their full race springs are even harder. I've ridden in several Integras with Ground Control setups and they are uber comfy compared to Skunk2. Heh, I was too poor to buy shocks at the same time, so the S2's have already blown one of my rear stock shocks and are well on their way to blowing the others. Thankfully, I am getting Tokico blues from my dad for Xmas. :D

Skunk2's with aftermarket shocks aren't that bad of a ride. Just like about everyother coilover. The stock shocks are set up to work with the stock springs. I recommend anytime you swap springs to swap shocks with them!

Justy get Pro-Kits... or some Tein S-Tech springs if you want to go up even higher. Both are cheap alternatives to getting a coilover sleeve setup, and you'll have the same quality of material... plus a better ride since you'll still be on a progressive spring (unlike the Skunk2 and GC coilover sleeve springs).

I think I just said the same thing....... Skunk 2's bust yo ass, hard style!! GC's ride very nice. I had them On my EG hatch, and the ride was not that much more stiff thatn stock. I would reccomend skunk 2's, or any coilovers on your car, only if you plan to use your car for racing only, you know, where you wouldn't be concerned about tire wear. If you just get a good set of Shocks and springs, you will be very happy. PS. I have gone through about 3 sets of rear tociko blue shocks. they keep on blowing for some reason, only the rears and it doesn't matter what brand of springs I use. I switched to KYB AGX shocks and have not had a problem since. Also, they are adjustable, and alot cheaper than the tociko adjustables, hell, even cheaper than the tociko blue non-adjustables. I give them a big thumbs up!! :thumbsup:

thanks for the replies once again! i did think about just getting the eibach pro-kit springs (1.25" drop), but i really like the versatility of coilovers. i wont mind the stiffer ride. i used to complain about my sportlines being too stiff but now that i am used to them, they seem soft. i want to be able to take a corner at 40mph and not have any detectable body roll :D

there are a few other reasons why i want to raise my car up high.
first, i am constantly looking at the road because im afraid there will be a nice bump or dip that will make me hit my front end. it has happened!

second, the shop where i bought my wheels could not get my car on their lift because its too low. i saw this with my own eyes.

third, my line of sight is alot lower than most cars. i can't see around other cars in parking lots and stuff...and i cant see too far down the road.

and lastly...i am tired of always having a messed up alignment because im always going up and down driveways at a slant. my steering wheel is almost never straight.

Well, I have a set of Topspeed coilover sleeves that I just pulled off the CRX yesterday if you want them- I'll take some pics and get them to you. They ride really smooth on the GR-2s, but I don't know what the spring rates are...

I also have a pair of new 89 Accord shocks (GR-2) that I need to get rid of- they'll let you recover about 1.25 inches of travel if you're lowered.

i have skunk2 and kyb gr-2's , if you can go with a full coilover instead you will be glad you did.

Back