Comments on Intro to Turbocharging Article

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yo i was reading the post about the retard the make the car turbo with out retuned and thats how i get to here i have b16a2 turbo t/3t/4 but i find out yesterday piston one its not making any change to the engine when i take the distributor cable off also car used to run 11.3 on 12 psi 450cc rc inejectors i have a new manifold setup the i shut go up? in injectors? and where is a good begining for find out the problem of the piston? thanks dude

added some info for people who are doing a first time build at the bottom. fixed a few spelling errors

Re-Organized the thread and made it easier to read. Comments and criticisms welcomed. If anyone has anything to add, or feel I should add, let me know!

thx

hey this helped me understand a little more thx.
im plannin on building soon so im tryin to get info.

Great thread Matt, first time I've seen it :thumbsup:

ummm no not yet im pretty newbish im just trying to land on solid ground first. ive never actually ive never drove a honda but i look at the engines and turbos and my brain just goes like clockwork i just want to take everything apart. ive learned alot more then what i knew this past week. im movin to FL and plannin on gettin a crx or a ex i want to drop an h22 in one but im willing to settle with what i can afford. dont ask me about bugdets i dont have one yet. but this site looks pretty legit so im going to stick around see what i can find useful.

yeah if you just do some reading, you'll be surprised at what you might find here. there are some great articles in the reference section on engine builds, swaps, etc. check that out for sure.

sounds like youre on the right track though :thumbsup:

Matt this is great. Didn't even know it was out there and just saw somebody posted on it today so it showed up in the New Posts for today.

Level headed, realistic and spot on. I don't have a turbo Honda and most likely never will. However, I get close to a Forced Induction engine every now and again..

When I go out to California to visit family I stay with cousin that drives this:

Milwaukee%20Bullet.JPG

And assist uncle tuning this (I developed all his blower overdrive tables):

540%20Joe%20Begosian%20%28Large%29.jpg

Your post is impressive. :thumbsup: You are now on my "Respected Members That Have a Clue" list.

dude this thread is awsome it really helped me thnxxx
:thumbsup:
Matt this is great. Didn't even know it was out there and just saw somebody posted on it today so it showed up in the New Posts for today.

Level headed, realistic and spot on. I don't have a turbo Honda and most likely never will. However, I get close to a Forced Induction engine every now and again..

When I go out to California to visit family I stay with cousin that drives this:

And assist uncle tuning this (I developed all his blower overdrive tables):

Your post is impressive. :thumbsup: You are now on my "Respected Members That Have a Clue" list.

That's awesome. I am fascinated by forced induction and the many ways it can be used. What kinda power does that boat make? :drool:

:thumbsup:

That's awesome. I am fascinated by forced induction and the many ways it can be used. What kinda power does that boat make? :drool:
When the picture I posted was taken, out of convenience because it was already on the host server I use, it was running Pro Mod indexed to 7.00 seconds. That class runs about 175 mph. Since then, he's made some changes, new block and dataloggers. Didn't run the boat this season since they were too busy in the shop building race boats, they sold 4 or 5 hulls last year. Anyway, when they go back out in the 2012 season they will be running Top Alcohol hydro. Pro Mod probably makes (detuned) somewhere around 1600-1800 hp. Top Alcohol is 2500+ hp and runs ~5.50 ET and 225 mph.

Glad you liked the post, wasn't bragging here. But, wanted you to know the compliment on your post was from somebody that's been acquainted to high performance.

That really is a fine post you did. Covered all the bases and philosophy on what not to do. Too many times a guy will come in on a how to Turbo a car and the thread takes off in the direction of 450 whp. 250 whp as you stated, is a good starting place. Not, 450 or more. There's just too much learning curve required to do it within the realm of sanity. There's plenty of learning curve for a 250 whp build and the car is going to scream.

You take a measured approach which shows maturity and real experience. Just like uncle did with the race boat - a couple of years of Pro Mod, then Top Alcohol.

There is more I can show you, if you are interested PM me and I'll do it that way. Some real cool stuff - world record stuff and some killer history of boats - jet turbine powered and nitro stuff.

Street Rods are much like the world of protection dogs - any fly by night idiot can get a good tough agressive to dog to bite. Just like any dumb ass can build a turbo rig and jack it up to way past 250 whp - but, many are just plain dangerous. Gotta do the total build, chassis, brakes, etc. With dogs the key is to ensure they are stable and safe and sane around innocent people - not some ustable menace to society that will maul innocent elderly or children. Something I take pride in.

When need be, he can be lethal. Mess with papa, your ass is in trouble.

Casey%20Biting%20Mike1.jpg

That's what I'm talking about - same dog at Halloween this year. With kids he's a big Teddy Bear.

Casey%20Halloween%202.jpg

Casey%20Halloween%201.jpg

I've taken Casey out every Halloween around the kids since he was a pup - I finally remembered to take some pictures this year, his 3rd Halloween. Ironically, several parents asked me if they too could take pictures of their kids with Casey - I of course allowed it - like a proud papa. :)

Keep up the good work sir.

Hey 500, how does that boat run with no spark plugs? :D
Runs pretty good without them. A little soft at the hit, and the 60' times are kinda shitty - but, once the air shifter bangs that Lenco into high it's gone.... :)

Thank you for the kind words :thumbsup:

People do underestimate power to weight ratio. Especially in FWD cars. It gets to a point where the car just won't hook up unless you really spend some money on traction parts. I have found other types of cars that I am more interested in now, but I am still a firm believer that a Honda is a great platform for a fun, streetable car.

Anyways, back to the boat. I am definitely interested in learning more about the alcohol setup. I am currently writing a proposal for one of my courses in college (something to do with alternative fuel sources) and one of my researched fuel sources is alcohol. PM me if you feel like talking about it in more detail :thumbsup:

fuel management

i am curious about fuel management on my 98 3 dr. I am also worried about weather or not i am going to need a tune on this vehicle. I am looking to run about 8 lbs boost not looking to push more than 200whp. My car is stock with sohc non vtech. Not looking for crazy power however do not want do cut any corners. Do i need to tune vehicle if i use a FMU and a wideband o2. Will my obdII ecu recognize the changes in fuel? Do i need injectors. Thanks for reading please lmk what you think. you can call or email me sryan3838@yahoo.com or 614 558 3596. My name is Steve

i am curious about fuel management on my 98 3 dr. I am also worried about weather or not i am going to need a tune on this vehicle. I am looking to run about 8 lbs boost not looking to push more than 200whp. My car is stock with sohc non vtech. Not looking for crazy power however do not want do cut any corners. Do i need to tune vehicle if i use a FMU and a wideband o2. Will my obdII ecu recognize the changes in fuel? Do i need injectors. Thanks for reading please lmk what you think. you can call or email me sryan3838@yahoo.com or 614 558 3596. My name is Steve
Please start your own thread and you will be assisted. ;)

Back