computer help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nootrac22

VIP
trying to get my old p3 gateway running to hold me over for the time being. I put the recovery disk into the drive and nothing. so I restart and try to enter the bios and the screen displays entering setup and wont go any further. any ideas? a new computer is on the to do list but has to wait till after july 15 when i refi the house.

that's all the info. new hard drive, need to uses recovery disk to install OS on new hard drive, won't boot off recovery disk, try to enter BIOS to boot from optical drive, freezes/ wont enter BIOS with the message "entering setup" on the screen. left it like that for hours to see if it would do anything, it didn't. Yes I know wrong forum, didn't realise it till after I submited it. If someone wants to move it that' fine.

you can't install an os from a recovery disk....

I thought that, that was what a recovery cd did, installs the drivers and os. BTW its a gateway.

nah, all i think a recovery disc does is restore it to factory settings, pretty much like a rollback feature on XP Sp2.

try to get a windows cd, more like 2000 since its a p3. try resetting the CMOS by setting the appropirate jumpers and hit the power button a few times with the power cord OFF, to release whatever juice that is still in the components.

try resetting the cmos. it could be one of the parts has gone bad. see if u can run memtest to see if its the ram. it kinda sounds like the board.

I was thinking it's the board, years ago I had 2 friends mobos go on gateways.

Take the battery out and with it out set the jumper to reset the CMOS. Then put the jumpers back to where they were and put the battery back in.

Pull the hard drive and try going into the BIOS settings. It sounds like its hanging on the drive check. If you get in, turn the drive settings to None or Auto. Put drive back in.

thanks will try removing the battery and reseting cmos. if that dosent get it will remove the HD and try again.

won't go into the bios settings, still get stuck at "entering setup"

Yea I just hate to see computers go into the trash. I used to do a lot of work building computers and doing computer programming.

well it's an old p3 so it's no loss to me. I havent' used it in about 4 years, maybe 5. I have a second computer an amd socket 754, needs a new processor. not sure if i want to sink any money into that either. Also it's hard to find socket 754 chips. found one for about $35 shipped, just not sure at this point.

Back