1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Continious sputter in B18c1 EG

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by gsrhatch, May 6, 2008.

1. gsrhatch

gsrhatch New Member

I have a 93 eg hatch with a 99 B18c1. Just recently the car started sputtering.
    At first it did it below 4000 rpm then that was fine then did it past 6000 rpm and now it does it continiously.
    I changed the plug wires, put in NGK iridium plugs (properly gapped) and ran some seafoam through my fuel.. It cleared up only a little bit. Any other suggestions as to what could be wrong?? Would my fuel filter possibly be the problem??

Thank you for your time and advice in advance

2. AHHVTEC

AHHVTEC Well-Known Member VIP

could be,,do you have any check engine lights staying on

3. gsrhatch

gsrhatch New Member

Yea i do but its because my 02 sensor was cut out.. i have the hondatas200 and blocked it so its not showing up but it should be.. That was done like 6 months ago and never cause a problem

4. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

hmm.. injectors could be bad

5. gsrhatch

gsrhatch New Member

Is there anyway i can check that without buying new ones?? Im in my second year of college so i dont have much money

6. AHHVTEC

start the car and while its running get a long screw driver and put one end on the injector and the other on your ear and you will hear it firing

1 person likes this.
  7. gsrhatch

gsrhatch New Member

Alright i will try that tomorrow after classes... Thankx for the help

8. awptickes

awptickes unimpressed by you VIP

I'm gonna remember that one. I always used a stethoscope.

9. efhondakid

efhondakid My name is Byron. VIP

Wood works the best, like a 1x1 piece of trim molding.

10. gsrhatch

gsrhatch New Member

Alright guys, well i checked the injectors and i hear them firing.. even when i rev it up i can hear them firing more .. Also i mentioned the fuel filter.. I have a fuel pressure guage and its reading correct, so it probably wouldnt be the filter would it? Any other ideas on what could be the problem?

11. gsrhatch

gsrhatch New Member

Just because theyre firing that doesnt mean theyre flowing right though right??

My friend has low impedence side feed 370cc denso injectors.. Its a little bigger but it shud plug right in i think.. Should i try those or get a filter and see if that works

12. AHHVTEC

just change the filters any how there cheap and easy to do

13. gsrhatch

gsrhatch New Member

Ok.. well i changed the distributor cap, rotor and got the coil checked by a mechanic and it still seems to be sputtering..

The mechanic looked at the plugs and number 3 was wet. He thinks that the #3 fuel injectors is just dumping fuel and not shutting off so its flooding the cylinder.. Are GSR injectors Low impedance or High impedance?

14. crash lander

crash lander Junior Member

I recently put a GSR into my 96 as well.
    My motor stumbles on acceleration in the low end sometimes and then will clear up in the top end. If I roll in 5th gear between 2-3K it will stumble then clear up. I changed my plugs didnt clear up. My injectors were working fine in my last motor. I might have a exhaust gasket leak at the manifold. Not thread jacking, just have the same issue.

15. gsrhatch

gsrhatch New Member

Why would an exhaust leak cause that?

Mine sputters through all rpms though.. idling, accelerating, constant rpms..

16. LS_VTEC

LS_VTEC you get the BRAKE

Get some diagnostic work done, see if a certified mechanic can find your problem. As for exhaust causing engine performance issues, this is possible, but routinely the catalytic converter is checked first. This can be done with a multi-meter and thermo-clips which you would measure the temperature reading before, and after that catalytic converter. If there is a significant difference after the cat (colder), than your catalytic converter is not working properly.

17. crash lander

My last cat was superheated so i had a new one installed on the 12th of may this year. Im going to check my dizzy rotor and inside the cap today. When I had my ignition timing checked it was at 8* TDC. Then advanced it all the way same ish. Then set it in between 17* and 8* same ish.hmmmmmmmm. I should have stay single turbo.

18. gsrhatch

gsrhatch New Member

If anyone wants to know.. I fixed the sputtering
    I took out the injectors, cleaned the filter ontop, knocked them a couple of times and connected them directly to 12v and tapped it a few times and it is running awesome right now.. Thankx for the help

19. crash lander

Good job i still have stumbling in my motor. Looked at the dizzy and rotor both are good. I noticed that my TPS rivited screws were at one time tampered with. So I think my TPS may be off. I will check and repost it that is the ish.

20. LS_VTEC

LS_VTEC you get the BRAKE

Your running 12v power directly to the injectors? I don't think that would work period, being injectors work off of mV.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted