Crank Pulley HELP

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

"Turn the engine over" meaning turning the key to the start position? Wow. That sounds like an accident waiting to happen. :eek: >this is me running away from someone daring enough to try that>

It's still dangerous. I wouldn't recommend anyone ever doing that, plugs out or not.
May even work most of the time. It's always that one time that it doesn't, that gets you.

Quoted post[/post]]
I remember trying that a while back on my friends 88 integra and it wouldn't work so I didn't try it. I was in the process of rebuilding the motor so all of that stuff had to come out anyway. the guy at the tool store said that is what he hears every weekend somebody can't get the crank pulley off of a toyota or honda, he said most people put a breaker bar on the pulley and pin it against the frame and turn the engine over but since the engine wasn't in the car I wasn't going to do it.

That might work if the engine was turning the opposite direction. :eek:

the way i do it (least invasive) is to feed hemp rope into the cylinder during its compression stroke. that way if some rope gets stuck it will burn out :wink:

ive done this to all my cars.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
I remember trying that a while back on my friends 88 integra and it wouldn't work so I didn't try it. I was in the process of rebuilding the motor so all of that stuff had to come out anyway. the guy at the tool store said that is what he hears every weekend somebody can't get the crank pulley off of a toyota or honda, he said most people put a breaker bar on the pulley and pin it against the frame and turn the engine over but since the engine wasn't in the car I wasn't going to do it.

That might work if the engine was turning the opposite direction. :eek:
Oops. Good catch there. No matter which way your engine spins, though...it's not a bright idea.

Quoted post[/post]]
the way i do it (least invasive) is to feed hemp rope into the cylinder during its compression stroke. that way if some rope gets stuck it will burn out :wink:

ive done this to all my cars.
That's an interesting idea. Never heard of anyone doing that. I'll have to remember that.

Back