CRX B16 turbo build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

URNVS

I want to start collecting parts to put together a B16 turbo in my 89 CRX Si but I am not very familiar with what I need to accomplish this.

I have already started putting together the engine core and have everything I need there except possibly a better cam (suggestions?). I am also unsure if the stock crank will be able to handle 20psi/nitrous.

If anyone has a link or two to some websites with similar builds (with parts lists) I would really appreciate it!

ditch the nas. are you rebuilding the whole engine? if so go get your ass some forged low comp pistons, connecting rods, skunk2 valvetrain, skunk2 stage 2 cams, turbo header, piping, turbo, cooler. thats all i can think of for now

Stock Honda cranks are holding up to 900+ horsepower. I don't think you need to worry about yours.

Get the b16a. Get that in the car, running n/a, and THEN start thinking aobut building a turbo kit.

Seriously. It's the best way.

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Nov 21 2003, 06:37 AM
Stock Honda cranks are holding up to 900+ horsepower. I don't think you need to worry about yours.

Get the b16a. Get that in the car, running n/a, and THEN start thinking aobut building a turbo kit.

Seriously. It's the best way.

yep, get it in the car and running fisrt.

Thanks for the input!

I have a complete B16 swap thats going into the car, and also a second engine (head and block) thats getting worked. My plan is to put the swap in stock then collect parts to turn the 2nd motor into a turbo setup. So far I have some JE 8.5 pistons, eagle rods, ARP studs, Darton sleeves, skunk2 springs and skunk2 retainers.

I have been purchasing things as I find a great deal on them and want to do the same for the turbo, thats why Im reading and trying to learn what the components are and what to look for. There are many cars out there that came turbo from the factory, can any of those be used as donors for a CRX turbo kit?

cointelpro - Why do you suggest the stage 2 cams instead of the turbo cams? Are there any less expensive cams out there that will work good for a turbo application?

cams- go with stock b16, or GSR's. i've seen a lot of setups hit 600 whp with those.

take that money and get a limited slip in your tranny or zdyne unit for fuel tuning.

and why so low? 8.5:1 = dog. you might want to look into something a little higher

The swap I bought came with a LSD tranny :) It sunny you mention Zdyne becasue I have spent the morning reading about their ECU's. Definately looks like the direction I want to go. Does anyone know if it has realtime readouts that can be displayed kind of like gauges if I mount a computer in the car?

I grabbed the 8.5 pistons becasue I got them really cheap and everything I have read says to use something right below 9 for serious boosting. I figure that if I use a racing head gasket (ie spoon) that will add another .2 or so making the actual number right around 8.7.

I have a Z-Dyne in my car. It's great for tuning.

NO, there is no readout for the system. The Z-Dyne system has NO real-time anything. It's just an all in one chip flashing system. That is all. No datalogging, NOTHING. Very basic, very simple, and it works great. ;)

Back