CRX HF ´87 >>> B16A (YES, REALLY?)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LROCRX

Well, I DID look on the forum before I posted this thread (and some places else too). So far, I´ve read it´s not much recommended since it would imply changing from carb to EFI (and that plainly put my car just sucks). I just bought the car, and from the VIN I found out it to be an HF, but despite the engine been carbed, it´s a 12V SOHC, not the 8V that came with the HF(?). I guess somewhere around those 16 years it was swapped.

I would need a B16 (exactly which one?) engine + cable tranny, ECU, axles and motormounts (which ones beside the hasports´ would be fine, if no other then Hasports it is). I have also read about a harness/sub-harness for wiring and millions of other things to get. So far I do not know what I would really need and what is just to bleed me dry...

FIRST of all: Will this work? 87 HF with B16 swap

HF should be the D15A2 Dual Point fuel injection, basically a throttle body injection system, like the DX. Once you convert over to Multi point FI, then you need all the parts you mentioned above, and a couple chassis mods (dent here, dent there) to fit it in the bay. And I believe the hubs off a DA teg to fit the axles

My CRX is first generation, it´s a carbed engine. OK, where can I find info about this MPFI conversion? Once I do this, I´m ready to go, right? So IT IS possible! Good. I´ll do it.

Originally posted by LROCRX+Aug 22 2003, 08:15 PM-->
@Aug 22 2003, 05:26 PM
1st gen FAQ

MPFI conversion this my be 88-91 specific, not sure.

Well, according to those links I will need "a bag of money".

It's an older car, what can you say, somethings need to be custom made, even though it is (IMO) a classic, it has little aftermarket support. I found it tough to find parts for my 86 Si, but I tell you this, swap the B in, do what can to it, upgrade suspension and brakes, and you will have a underestimated little monster.

Originally posted by jeff@Aug 22 2003, 10:27 PM
Why don't you look into carbing the b series.

The thought has occured to me as well. I also own a Nissan Sentra GA16DE with double mikuni 44 PHH dual carbs (4 carbs total) and a lot of mods and let me tell you I nicely bypassed the ECU upgrade by half the price and ended going twice as faster. But by doing so, I will also miss the VTEC(?) and would also have a more unstable car for the street (great for racing, no doubt!); the good side is I won´t care much about ECUs or major rewiring... So I would still be analyzing the pros and cons

WHAT you guys think? Anyone done this? B16 with Racing carbs?

Well, it seems carbing a B16 is not a really good idea???

Back