CRX HF Tranny into an '88 CRX Si

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

perk

I am looking at the possibility of putting an HF tranny into my Si. Are there any compatability issues, i.e. spline count on axles, tranny bolt pattern, etc. that I should know about before I go buy a tranny?

Thanks in advance.

the only compatability problem is in the transmission input shaft versus the clutch disc - if you have 88 clutch, only the 88 transmission will work due to the 21 spline input shaft on the 88 - 89-91 has 20 spline input shaft - to use 89-91 transmission and keep the 88 flywheel, you would need 89 Si 200mm clutch - to use the 89-91 transmission and run the larger 90-91 212mm clutch, you would need 90 and up flywheel

x2 on that one. I did a 88 Si trans in my 91 at one point in time and used a 87 prelude clutch since it filled out on the pressure plate and flywheel fully. And that was recommended by Keth Gillespie, owner of Hasport, before Hasport was even in existence. Odd you are putting a HF trans on that tho......I am starting a build on a crx soon that will involve a D16Z6, T25 turbo, and an HF trans....going for mild turbo,frshly built engine, and some sort of decent gas mileage. Plus I thought it would be cool to boost on a HF trans since first gear goes to around 60 mph. Anyway, back to topic!

In the sam grain as above, I have a late 89 CRX Si, though I believe it has a replacement DX trans in it as it only turns 2500 RPM at 65 MPH. I have an 88 HF trans and want to install it. As it is a late 89 Si, I'm guessing I'm going to have to use the 88 clutch assembly? Any recommendations? I was considering doing a D15Z1 swap while I'm at it with the fuel costs the way they are, but have traditionally been a VW guy, and am admittedly crossing over.

Thanks.

John

Threadjacking?

My apologies. Don't know exactly what threadjacking is, but I'm suspecting it is something along the lines of leading the thread somewhere it wasn't likely heading. Certainly wasn't my intention. I read the original thread, saw content that I felt was very similar to mine and posted there instead of starting anew. I'll repost my question.

John

Back