CRX motor Swap need Help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

barlow527

I have a 90 Honda CRX DX. Right now it has the DPI D15 in it. I want to install a ZC motor D16 like that are in the CRX Si's. Do I just need the ECU for the motor or what? Is the wiring harness different? Please help me! Reply to this thread or PM.

From what I have gathered so far. I need a PM6 or PM7 ECU, OBD0 D16 wire harness, 88-91 D16 ZC motor and trans (mine is done). What else? Any help is greatly apperciated!

For a ZC swap you can use a D16 or D15 transmission either will work. The USDM CRX Si transmission has a better final gear ratio if that interests you. You can get away with using a PM6 ecu but you will be happier with an ECU from an 88-89 Integra. Since you have a DX you will need to modify the wiring harness.
Instead of the ZC motor you can also do a D16Z6 swap. Keep in mind the either motor might need to be rebuilt before you use it.

I was going to get a JDM motor that has like 35-40k on it. What is the difference in the 88-91 D16 and the 92-95 D16 and D15. The 92-95 D15 makes 130hp, where the D16 thats a 88-91 makes only 120hp. Can I just a 92-95 motor?

What do I need for a wire harness conversion? Do I need just a Si Harness?

to do any engine swap in your car (other than another 88-91 DX/STD engine), you will need to use the engine harness from your DX engine and convert the harness from DPFI to MPFI - engine harnesses are not interchangeable between different models and some times not even interchangeable between different years of the same model - the easiest swap is going to be one where you stay OBD0 and the easiest OBD0 engines to swap are the USDM D16A6 Si, the JDM SOHC ZC non-VTEC 120hp and the JDM DOHC ZC 130hp - all of these bolt right in and will bolt right up to your DX transmission or to any other 88-91 CRX/Civic transmission - the SOHC JDM engines that are 130hp are the D15B VTEC and the SOHC ZC VTEC 130hp - these engines are OBD1 and to run them correctly, you need to convert the car to run OBD1 - you need to use the ECU that matches the engine you are swapping in

Back