CRX Swap, what is worth?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ovcrash

Hi,
My girl as a 1991 Black CRX, that you probably have seen a couple of times on here. Well she wants to swap a GSR (B18C1, if i'm correct) in the car. I told her that for probably less she could get something better, and more powerfull? She wants something fast.

Is a B20/Vtec better and as easy to install? or LS/Vtec?

Where no talk turbo, simple stock motor.

And she has already dics brakes all around but the original CRX ones, to swap brakes from a teg, what would be good and easy? GSR one's? Type-R? or maybe 1997 Prelude ones?

Thanks for the help.

try an H22 from the prelude. Simple, about the same price to swap as the rest, and the most drop-in power for a stock honda engine you can get, roughly 200hp, and most importantly, what all B16 owners would kill for, LOADS of low end Torque.
Siplified: If you were to swap a B16A, B18C1, or a H22A into your CRX, the H22 would be the fastest, stock (about 13 second 1/4 mile fast).
And thats my opinion!
I hope I dont get dissed by all the B-series fans again. LOL!!!!
Take care bro.

Originally posted by adnoh@Jan 15 2004, 12:55 PM
try an H22 from the prelude. Simple, about the same price to swap as the rest, and the most drop-in power for a stock honda engine you can get, roughly 200hp, and most importantly, what all B16 owners would kill for, LOADS of low end Torque.
Siplified: If you were to swap a B16A, B18C1, or a H22A into your CRX, the H22 would be the fastest, stock (about 13 second 1/4 mile fast).
And thats my opinion!
I hope I dont get dissed by all the B-series fans again. LOL!!!!
Take care bro.

H22 in a crx is not that simple of a swap at all. If money is a concern, get a first gen b16 with a cable tranny. Use the money you will save from trying to put an H22 in there to buy some minor bolt on's on you will be very happy.

gsr.. so much better then b16 more capable of more power! and better platform I think then a b16.

So she should go with the GSR motor?? There's anything equal or better for less out there??

And for the other question, she wants to swap her disc brakes. She already has disc brakes all around, she wants to swap them for bigger one's. what would be easy to swap, and not that expensive?? Integra GSR? Tyoe-R brakes? or maybe 97 prelude brakes?

Swaping brakes, what does it take? Do you change only the disc or the hole axle?
and when swaping the brakes, i guess that you have to change de master cylinder? and the brake lines?

thanks for everything.

Originally posted by ovcrash@Jan 15 2004, 05:48 PM
So she should go with the GSR motor?? There's anything equal or better for less out there??

And for the other question, she wants to swap her disc brakes. She already has disc brakes all around, she wants to swap them for bigger one's. what would be easy to swap, and not that expensive?? Integra GSR? Tyoe-R brakes? or maybe 97 prelude brakes?

Swaping brakes, what does it take? Do you change only the disc or the hole axle?
and when swaping the brakes, i guess that you have to change de master cylinder? and the brake lines?

thanks for everything.

Forget about the Prelude stoppers, dude, they're five lug.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't an H22 swap cost a LOT? Not to metion, involve a lot of cuting/welding? I was looking into an ITR swap a while back, but I went with the b16. Best bang for your buck if it is done right :thumbup: ;)
Then go turbo! HEHEHE

ya, and if a ls barely fits in a ef with minor mod to the engine bay, i would really like to see a frekin h22 fit in that bay, oh ya-not to mention your car will handle like shit since that motor is so big, a b20 is also pushing it,
ya a b16a1/cable tranny would be your best bet, and besides, you can always take the b16 out put the mounts and tranny on a b18c1 and your set to go

b16 is much more bang for your buck, but with all the hasport breakthroughs, the gsr is much more practicle. I am doing a gsr in my 90 rex si this summa. PLus, hmotorsonline has dropped teh gsr price.....i think. <_<

if you are on a budget just get the b16 its cheap and fun, and wont cost to much

Go with a b16a, it is a lot cheaper than the b18c1, plus with the money you save from not throwing in the b18c1 can go to some basic bolt ons or you can even do some internal motor work. There is no point of paying more for that extra 10 hp and .2 liter difference for the b18c1 when you can later stroke a b16a to whatever you want, like say 2.0 liters. ;)

And with the brakes, all integra rotors are all the same size, you will just end up paying more for the brake conversion just because you want it off a gsr. Besides the rear rotors on a crx and integra are the same size. The front rotors on an integra are a little bigger than the crx. So if you have some 13" wheels that come stock on a crx other than the si, they wont fit the front anymore. Youll need to use 14" or bigger. But why waste money on converting into integra brakes, when you can go buy some aftermarket rotors and calipers. It would look much better. Other than that, the only reasonable conversion I'd recommend is the type R just because it is five lug and there is a better variety of rims for five lugs too. :blink:

actually, the complete change over dropped..you're thinking the motor tranny etc.....but the complete change over is currently on sale.

h22 in a crx is a joke, it would be so hard to fit and then your car would handle like shit.
h22 swaps are cheap

shop around for a b16 swap localy ro something, i found a b16cable swap with almost 4k$ of work on the block for 2600 dollars, it came with motor mounts and shhift linkage and a whole 91 hatchback with rims and tenzo r seats, long story behind it but shop around localy and local stuff on ebay, y ou might find a real deal

Originally posted by aznaries@Jan 30 2004, 11:56 PM
Go with a b16a, it is a lot cheaper than the b18c1, plus with the money you save from not throwing in the b18c1 can go to some basic bolt ons or you can even do some internal motor work. There is no point of paying more for that extra 10 hp and .2 liter difference for the b18c1 when you can later stroke a b16a to whatever you want, like say 2.0 liters. ;)

And with the brakes, all integra rotors are all the same size, you will just end up paying more for the brake conversion just because you want it off a gsr. Besides the rear rotors on a crx and integra are the same size. The front rotors on an integra are a little bigger than the crx. So if you have some 13" wheels that come stock on a crx other than the si, they wont fit the front anymore. Youll need to use 14" or bigger. But why waste money on converting into integra brakes, when you can go buy some aftermarket rotors and calipers. It would look much better. Other than that, the only reasonable conversion I'd recommend is the type R just because it is five lug and there is a better variety of rims for five lugs too. :blink:

About the brakes mang, the disc on the front of a Civic/CRX are the same size as those on the rear of an integra. The front rotors I think are 10" rotors, and the rear are somewhere around 9" or so.

Now to clearify what a good swap for a CRX is...
First what trim is your CRX, we all know it's black, is it an HF, Si or DX? If it's a DX (the fuel system is DPFI or dual point fuel injection) you will need to convert to MPFI (multi port fuel injection) before any swaps occur. However if it's an HF or Si you will not. SEcondly you need to know a little about honda's meaning OBD's. 88-91 OBD-0, 92-96 OBD1, 96-98 OBD2A 98-01 OBD2B I think are correct, if not they are close and you get the picture.
H22 - NO expensive and extensive mods to the car to get it to fit - she'll hate you and the car
B16 - Cheap (make sure you get a CABLE transmission) Most obvioius as it came in the car in Japan. This would be my first choice.
B18C1 - (GSR) gonna be a little more expensive, plus an OBD conversion is coming at ya, along with a Cable-Hydro conversion (unless you use a Cable trans from a 90-93 Integra, or b16 transmission) talk to GSRCRXsi.
B18C5 - Gonna be hella expensive $5K for motor alone, the another $1.5K in parts and shit needed to convert. Basically the same as a GSR. Not worth it, unless you are extremely rich, and you roll in $100 dollar bills at dinner time!
LSVTEC - If done properly it will cost you about the same a GSR swap. Dont listen to people when they say LSVTEC (CRVTEC/B20VTEC if you consider this dont buy a B20A5 those suck) arent reliable. Build it right, it will last just ask LSVTEC on here he has one!

Just a recap,
H22 = NO
B series = YES (except the B20A5!)
B series Hybrids (ie= LSVTEC, CRVTEC) = YES, but take caution and do research before building.

Hope your girlfriend loves me also I hope this helped!

Back