CT emissions is a joke

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
well I went today to get my emissions check done by the new Agbar Technologies company running the system. what a fucking joke. the facility I went to was fine.
but man get this shit.

now keep in mind I have a 1991 CRX DX 5spd.

Vehicle Info:
Fuel Type = G
Vehicle type = Car
Make: Honda
Cylinders = 4
License State = CT
Model Year = 1991
Model = 1991
Transmission = A (lol my cars manual)
Class Code = 1
Odometer = 68829
Engine Size = 2.4 (god damn I wish)
Exhaust = Single
Reg Number = YEM
Body Type = Sedan (lol, it' a fucking crx)
GVWR = 2400lbs (no fucking way)

before the guy goes to test the vehicle he asks me with a questionable look on his face, this thing isn't all wheel drive is it ? I'm like what come again, it's a fwd car. 2 wheel drive. he's like yeah I thought so, well I'm just gonna do the test how they want it.

Which was an idle test, no need to be put on the dyno to simulate a load cause the test system thinks it's an all wheel drive vehicle.

here's my test results

Code:
              HC(PPM)     CO (%)    RPM
Cruise Mode Limit 220         1.20       2500
Cruise Emissions 100         0.34       2526
Results =       Pass        Pass 
Idle Mode Limit   220         1.20       1100
Idle Emissions   132         0.01       836
Idle Results =    Pass        Pass

the states new test is bunk.

Hey, you passed, don't knock it. :)

Illinois' is just as lame, they put my Civic on the dyno just to idle it for 4 seconds (I counted).

Be glad you passed, the idle test is harder to pass then the dyno. The CT emissions are not a joke at all actually.

Your car will never be given the idle test again. That guy just fucked your car for not knowing what he was doing. For OBD1 (or your case OBD0 cars) they are supposed to still go on the dyno, the idle test is a one time only 'get outta jail free card' FOR THE LIFE OF THE CAR. doesnt matter even when you sell it.

Also, he might have fucked up the registration a bit, as he certainly didnt enter it into the computer right...

Last, it really isnt a joke this time around. Although the people are supposed to be trained techs in certifies shops, thats kind of the variable. The kicker is, the old system would just threaten to take away your registration if you didnt fix your car after a fail, but they couldnt legally do anything about it. Now, there is an amendment to the law, so if you fail, and dont get it fixed and retested within 30 days, they can and will pull registration. The car cant be registered until it passes, and you cant take the test without registration. You will also be royally fucked if you should get pulled over. Same goes if you buy a car that has not passed. You cant register it, and fixing it is your problem, not the sellers.

:cliffs: Dont fuck around with emissions this time around, it may seem like the same old bullshit, but there are gonna be consequences now.

uh, yeah it is a fucking joke.
and if I passed and idle test with flying colors I have nothing to wory about if I do have to doa dyno test.

The DMV or Agbar has no fucking clue
the registration for my car is correct "It's in print I'll scan it if need be to prove it"

The shit I listed
Vehicle info is what came up on the computer after he scanned my registration with the bar code reader. and what printed on my report for emissions test.

The computer told him it was a 2.4ltr sedan all wheel drive.
and since this shop is only set up for 2 wheel drive it said do an idle test only.
well he had to rev it and bring it to 2500rpm and hold for like 45secs.
and then an idle test for like a miniute

end of story Argbar or the DMV is a buch of tools

Originally posted by FFCiv@Feb 20 2004, 02:29 PM
i hope emisions is easy cause im not sure if the 240 im buying would pass a hhard test

buy my 240sx... it passes with flying colors and RUNS AWESOME. :D

you could by my civic, zero emissions because well.....there is no motor- fred flintstone style :toot:

I've been hearing they are warning people any aftermarket exhaust will automatically cause their cars to fail...This is such B.S.
Ive heard this from a few customers that have been in here, and others said they had no issues at all....

Any one hear any "new" news on CT's aftermarket exhaust laws? We got cops constantly pullin people over and writing tickets for illegal aftermarket exhausts (which is any aftermarket exhaust, including 50 state legal) We have contacted SEMA and are waiting for it to go through the rings it has to before they can act. :wacko:

hmm...I wonder if i am going to have to give up my registration to the state of florida when i leave........

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Feb 20 2004, 01:49 PM
GVWR = 2400lbs (no fucking way)

um.. that sounds about right

GVWR is not the weight of your car that is what your car is rated to handle fully loaded

My Civic was 2200-2300lbs the GVRW was around 2800-3000lbs
go open up the door on your CRX and look at the plate thats inside the door jam it should list your GVWR

2400LBS sounds very low even for a CRX then again it is a DX =)

Originally posted by Swift Tuner@Feb 21 2004, 11:28 AM
I've been hearing they are warning people any aftermarket exhaust will automatically cause their cars to fail...This is such B.S.
Ive heard this from a few customers that have been in here, and others said they had no issues at all....

Any one hear any "new" news on CT's aftermarket exhaust laws? We got cops constantly pullin people over and writing tickets for illegal aftermarket exhausts (which is any aftermarket exhaust, including 50 state legal) We have contacted SEMA and are waiting for it to go through the rings it has to before they can act. :wacko:

in massachusettes its true that they wont test your car with an aftermarket exhaust/muffler. in CT though, thats not the case. youll be fine with aftermarket parts...as long as it still passes that is.

Originally posted by JDMilan@Feb 21 2004, 03:14 PM
hmm...I wonder if i am going to have to give up my registration to the state of florida when i leave........

my car is registered in florida because i still have a valid address in florida that I receive mail to...

Originally posted by Swift Tuner@Feb 21 2004, 11:28 AM

yea those laws that dont exist. i went to the dmv 3 times when i got my ticket, and between those tools the cop that wrote the ticket, and the cheif of manchester police, i got 4 different storys as to which law it was that made it illegal, NONE OF WHICH existed in the 467 some odd pages of dmv laws on the dmv website.

Originally posted by BlackFrog+Feb 21 2004, 07:06 PM-->
Swift Tuner
@Feb 21 2004, 11:28 AM

in massachusettes its true that they wont test your car with an aftermarket exhaust/muffler. in CT though, thats not the case. youll be fine with aftermarket parts...as long as it still passes that is.

not true.

my civic passed emissions with an aftermarket exhaust. it was a focuz, with a 3.5' outlet. rice rice, baby. :lol:

Focuz%20Exhaust%20on%20Civic.JPG

you can see the urethane and koni reds under there also. B)

Back