CTR cams

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

integ808

I just bought some CTR cams for my 95 gsr.

Greddy catback
neuspeed header
akimoto intake
s4c tranny
short shifter
exedy stage 1 clutch
exedy lighten flywheel

Any suggestion whether I should go with springs, valves, fuel regulator, VAFC, etc with my CTR cams?

Any and all inputs is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

using CTR pistons is an easy cheap stupid way of building a motor...reasons why... you cant put CTRs on eagle rods you have to use your stock ones..!!??high revs?--snap!!?? why do that buy something thats worth the reason tearing apart the block and getting it machined...perfect example if...Endyne the god of all honda builders...thats where you start talking about doing some damage(in a good way like pulling away from your buddies..) but anyways i dont see what the point in tearing down a perfectly tuned engine to put little ol CTRs in.....oh i wouldnt do it

Originally posted by jspecivicsi@Nov 13 2003, 10:52 PM
using CTR pistons is an easy cheap stupid way of building a motor...reasons why... you cant put CTRs on eagle rods you have to use your stock ones..!!??high revs?--snap!!?? why do that buy something thats worth the reason tearing apart the block and getting it machined...perfect example if...Endyne the god of all honda builders...thats where you start talking about doing some damage(in a good way like pulling away from your buddies..) but anyways i dont see what the point in tearing down a perfectly tuned engine to put little ol CTRs in.....oh i wouldnt do it

the oem rods are fine for all motor, and ctr pistons are fine for all motor as well. rods snap from high rpm? where are you hearing this? i've seen plenty of B motors rev up to 9.5-10k on stock rods, no issues. ctr pistons are nice because they are inexpensive, still good quality even though they are cast, and give a pretty good bump in CR especiallin in a B18c. and the topic was about CTR cams anyways.

i'm running ctr cams in my b16 right now with stock valve train. as long as you want to keep your stock revlimit, you don't need the springs. however, in my car first lap on the track i hit the rev limiter 3 times, the cams want to pull past the 8200.

I would like to thank each and everyone of you for your advice/opinion. :worthy:

I have another question...
With the CTR cams in, do I follow the GSR specs when adjusting my valves?

I heard the GSR exh springs is the same as the type r intake springs. Can I use the GSR exh springs on the intake side?

Is that true about the springs? :huh:

Or should I just get a set of type r springs?

Thanks in advance!

get some new itr springs you will be much happier being able to get the full potential out of your cams.

why cant you put CTR pistons on eagle rods? they are made to stock spec right? so why cant you do it?

either way, i think you are ill informed about stock rods snapping. for all motor they are fine.

Originally posted by B16@Nov 14 2003, 01:59 AM

i'm running ctr cams in my b16 right now with stock valve train. as long as you want to keep your stock revlimit, you don't need the springs. however, in my car first lap on the track i hit the rev limiter 3 times, the cams want to pull past the 8200.

What is your impression of the CTR cams? As far as bang for the buck?

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Nov 20 2003, 09:19 AM
why cant you put CTR pistons on eagle rods? they are made to stock spec right? so why cant you do it?

either way, i think you are ill informed about stock rods snapping. for all motor they are fine.

Since he has a B18 - he should use the CTR pistons Rods and Crank.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 20 2003, 10:20 AM
you = asshat.

if you use the ctr crank and rods, you loose .2 L of displacement

:werd:

Originally posted by luVTEC+Nov 20 2003, 06:26 AM-->
@Nov 14 2003, 01:59 AM

What is your impression of the CTR cams? As far as bang for the buck?

they're very nice. i could use a new exhaust though..

don't bother with teh FPR, VAFC will better tune things out.

I don't suggest Larry at endyne, but Jeff at IB :thumbsup:

I don't like CTR pistons either, the dome shape that is.

I have eagle rods and SRP pistons in my LS/VTEC with Crower Springs/Ti Retainers and Ferrea valves. CTR cams and 11.2:1 CR. It pulls very strong right from idle and is a lot of fun over 7k (I rev it to just over 9k).

def go with itr or better valve springs, floatin's the last thing you wanna do when you rev that thing.

Back