D15B Vtec swap/boost/vtec/?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sorry, I'm gonna thread-jack for a minute...

UNDR8D, in your other post you said you're working on an MBA. Two things...first, if you don't mind me asking, how much are you paying for tuition and other expenses? And second, doesn't that kind of suck to have a BBA and only be making $8 hourly? That would piss me off so bad, lol...I guess you're just more patient than I am...

Ya. tuition is about $375 a credit hour, so, 3 cred hours per course, and the program is 15 core courses and 2 or 3 electives. I can't remember. The program is difficult, but is designed for working professionals to take two classes per trimester and finish in two years. I am trying to speed up the process by taking 3 or 4 per trimester, but also do exceptionally well in them, which is why I don't work more than part time. I'll take the financial hit now in order to learn. and retain as much as possible. Also, the area is extremely depressed so $8 is good to many people. Clearly it's not great no matter where you are but the dynamics of the job market here are such that you take what you can get. I am about 45 minutes from Pittsburgh, PA, where most of my classmates work, but I see what they go through working 50 hour weeks and always being late for class. I did that in my undergrad, taking 5+ classes per and working 40 hour weeks. I always had money but my school work suffered and now, I'm playing catch up on the things that I am expected to know as an MBA student. So, in getting back to the topic, even in secondary education, lack of focus can be detrimental. It's not always enough to just "have a diploma" or "have a degree"...

Ah, ok. Thanks for the info man. Trust me, I know all about depressed economies and the difficulty of finding jobs. I live in Metro Detroit, where the economy is just about the worst in the nation.

I was lucky enough to land a decent job doing recruiting for the college I graduated from. I get a lot of nice perks working here, but unfortunately they're small and they don't have an MBA program yet, but one is in the works. I'd do it here for free if I could, but that's just not an option at this point, so I guess I'll have to start elsewhere and maybe transfer back here if they get their stuff going within the next few years.

That's pretty sweet. I highly recommend an MBA to anyone who has a business background. These days you need a grad degree to separate yourself from the sea of ba and bss...not that those aren't of some value.

That's pretty sweet. I highly recommend an MBA to anyone who has a business background. These days you need a grad degree to separate yourself from the sea of ba and bss...not that those aren't of some value.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. I'm a step ahead of most just having the BBA, but I want to be another step ahead of that. And with me working full time, it might take a little longer, but I think it will be worth it in the end. I'll have my MBA and a good 3-4 years of full-time professional work experience.

Ya, and the beauty of most grad programs is that you pay per credit hour instead of an outrageous amount per semester as an undergrad student, which makes it a lot easier.

Update on the Civic...

It fucking broke down on me about a half mile away from my house today on the way to work. Made me almost an hour late cause I had to push it all the way back, then when I got it home I checked everything out, it cranks, it's getting fuel, leaves me to check the spark plugs tomorrow and I'll probably replace the plugs, wires, if that doesn't work then maybe the dizzy. Does anyone happen know if the USDM dizzys for the d15b7 or d16z6 are compatible with the d15b vtec?

My mom pulled out one of the spark plugs while I was at work and it looks strange...it says "BOSCH PLATINUM" +4, has 4 metal prongs. I've never seen one like it.

well if you swapped an engine in and you didn't even change the plugs or atleast look at them, then you've got problems. I'd look at the main relay and the dizzy. Check grounds too.

Grounds are all good I checked them when it first broke down, and if you're talking about the relay down by the driver's side, I've already had to replace that with a good one I know that's working.

Yea that was pretty stupid not looking at the plugs...or even changing the timing belt and waterpump etc. I inspected the belt it's good. Planning on replacing the whole cooling system and upgrading some of it like the Mugen tuned thermostat and Spoon radiator, new hoses and claps, etc., and also the ignition system with MSD components so I can run a 75 shot of nitrous.

More than likely it's the plugs. Because it recently started having problems holding speed, and seemed like it wouldn't get enough spark until I nearly gun it to send enough voltage there to accelerate. Am I right? Plugs, wires, dizzy something like that it has to be it.

It could be the throttle position sensor. By the way, the stock radiator is fine for what your goals are. Upgrading the ignition is also unnececary as the stock system is good to like 500 hp. Don't do the mugen thermostat either. It will make your coolant run cooler, which makes the ecu think the car is still in warm up mode, making it run rich all the time, and possibly making you idle high all the time as well.

and it looks strange...it says "BOSCH PLATINUM" +4, has 4 metal prongs. I've never seen one like it.

Thoes would be Bosch's highly unnecessary 4 pronged spark plugs that run at about a fortune a piece. Waste of time and money. NGK's are just fine.

Update:

Just goes to show you ALWAYS check the easiest shit first..I went and wasted $60 at Autozone on new stock plugs and the cheapest set of wires and put them in tried to start it and nothing. Then I tried to jump the ecu...and the cel wouldn't blink it just stayed on.

So I checked all the fuses and found out that the 15a ecu fuse was blown, replaced it, started right up. I also found that the fuse for the fan motor is blown, and for some dumb reason there was a 30a fuse in there instead of the 15a that's supposed to be there. I guess one of my friends accidentally put it in when we finished up the swap. Now I just feel dumb for wasting the $60. And I ALMOST bought a rebuilt distributor for $170 with a lifetime warranty.

Ya, and the beauty of most grad programs is that you pay per credit hour instead of an outrageous amount per semester as an undergrad student, which makes it a lot easier.

Yeah, I actually e-mailed a guy from the university here and asked about all that stuff, and he told me the tuition would be pretty similar to what you're paying, and it's by the hour.

Looks like I be going to grad school in the fall! :D

Well, assuming I do well on the GMAT. Can you give me any insights on that?

Update:

Just goes to show you ALWAYS check the easiest shit first..I went and wasted $60 at Autozone on new stock plugs and the cheapest set of wires and put them in tried to start it and nothing. Then I tried to jump the ecu...and the cel wouldn't blink it just stayed on.

So I checked all the fuses and found out that the 15a ecu fuse was blown, replaced it, started right up. I also found that the fuse for the fan motor is blown, and for some dumb reason there was a 30a fuse in there instead of the 15a that's supposed to be there. I guess one of my friends accidentally put it in when we finished up the swap. Now I just feel dumb for wasting the $60. And I ALMOST bought a rebuilt distributor for $170 with a lifetime warranty.

Yeah, kinda sucks that you spent unnecesary money, but it's not like new plugs and wires ever hurt anything. Like you said, they probably should have been done at the time of the swap anyway.

I did not have to take the GMAT. If you have the appropriate prerequisites many schools will not make you take it. I was going to do the MA Counseling program here, so, with a business undergrad, I would have had to take the GMAT. Because I switched to the MBA, they didn't require it. Many schools, Harvard Business for example, will probably require you to take it regardless. I guess in the end it's up to the graduate admissions coordinators at the given school.

Ah, okay, cool. Yeah I talked to the university here again and it looks like I probably will have to take it. I guess I'll be doing that this summer...

ZOMFG gay! From what I recall it is a grueling exam full of general knowledge that you are expected to know as a grad student.

Yeah that's what I've heard as well. It's not so much related to business, as just an exam of general knowledge and problem-solving skills that proves you have the ability to study at a graduate level.

Back