d15b wiring into a 92 eg lx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

joshuaclifton

i put a d15b vtec motor into my 92 civic lx but even with the ecu chipped, vtec wires hooked up correctly, and motor running perfect, it wont rev passed 4800 rpm. any ideas?!!!!!!!!!!! help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
96-00 D15B's are two stage, 92-95 have the same head as D16Z6 and are plain VTEC.

If you used a 3-Stage VTEC ECU, then yea it would throw a code for the unhooked solenoid, but if you are using a P08 or P28, it wouldn't.

no they dont. the head internals on the d15b head look nothing like the z6 head. thr head code on the d15b is '96' but they are different

What ECU are you using? The LX/P06? If so, was the VTEC transistor even installed?

edit: Ok if it was a P06; check to see if there's even a VTEC transistor. A P28/converted P06 would not throw a code for a 3-stage VTEC head...but a 3-stage ECU will throw a code for a regular VTEC head.

In that case; just test your solenoid via Helms manual.

Also, check all grounds.

See if you can borrow someone's P28 and test it out.

I've had an issue where it wouldn't rev pass 4000rpms after installing a chip; problem persisted even after removing the chip(original setup was Ostrich with P28, then I just got a chipped burned for me); running in limp mode.
Swapped the P28 for a P05(non-VTEC CX ECU), and it revved fine and accelerated better for daily driving.

What baffles me is, that same P28 that was running limp mode for me, worked fine in a stock 93 EX.

my buddy has a p28 so ill ask him. but my ecu worked fine with the z6 before it was chipped. i had it chipped after i put the d15b in but it still wouldnt rev past 4800 before it was chipped

So the Z6 was able to rev pass 4800rpm or no?

Also, have you checked all grounds? A bad ground can cause the ECU to run in limp mode.

Back