D16a6 Pistons (pg6) in D16Z6?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Utrax42

I'm building my D16Z6 (1995) for NA power, and wanting to know what kind of luck you guys have had running pg6 pistons. I was considering P29's but they look like a terrible design, plus I'm limited to 91 octane. What do you guys think? Also I've read about having the valve reliefs enlarged on the pg6's. Do I need to have that done? I'd like to run a Skunk stage 1 cam, stage 2 if I could get away with it. Any links to where I could buy pg6's in 75.5mm?

Thanks guys!

PG6 are actually D16A1 pistons.

Definitely go for it! Just clay everything/check for clearance.

Heeltoeautomotive should have PG6 in 75.5mm.

Excellent! Thank you very much sir! Would I need to run ARP head studs with that high of compression or could I get away with a set of New OEM ones? I'm already planning on ARP rod bolts as the ones on my rods now have seen at least one probably two rebuilds.

I'd go with ARP ones just because they're reusable and do not cost too much more than stock(you're looking at about $80 at online dealerships for stock vs. about $120 for ARP).

If you're already considering spending the cash on larger bore pistons and then modifying them for more valve clearance, plus you're in the budget range for ARP studs and an aftermarket, why not just get a decent set of forged pistons built to your specs? They wouldn't add that much cost to your build.

I only paid 130 for my pistons and all bearings :D I'm doing what I can to keep the cost down. After some research I've come to the conclusion that if i'm only running a stage 1ish cam valve clearance shouldn't be an issue, but I will be claying, and I will take lots of pictures of the build. When i get the time/money I'd like to dyno as well. Thanks for your guys input, I appreciate it!

while we are on the topic of pistons, Do i need to have my rotating assembly balanced with the different pistons? I'm only going to rev to about 7-7.3K. Does anyone know the difference in weight between the P28 and PG6 pistons? Thanks ^_^

I made a typo with that. I meant D16A1 with the PG6 pistons. Sorry

while we are on the topic of pistons, Do i need to have my rotating assembly balanced with the different pistons? I'm only going to rev to about 7-7.3K. Does anyone know the difference in weight between the P28 and PG6 pistons? Thanks ^_^

I'm not sure about the weight but it's always good to balance the assembly while everything is out.

Oh ok, good luck with your build. Did you make any progress yet?.

The block is bare, ready for work. My pistons & bearings get here tomorrow. I'll take lots of pictures ^_^ Any tips on assembly? This is my first build.

I am rebuilding my a6 block, and I have a write-up thread I made for it (this is my first time too). My block is going to the machinist tomorrow to be cleaned, inspected and have fresh bores cut, my rebuild kit should be in by this Friday. Come check out my thread sometime if you'd like. Here's the link:
https://hondaswap.com/hybrid-ed-ef-da/89-crx-d16a6-detailed-rebuild-write-up-lots-pics-297226/

As for advice; make sure EVERYTHING is nice and clean (not one speck of dirt, if you can help it), also use the engine assembly grease liberally and make sure all clearances are met. Did you bag all your parts to their corresponding location?. A very helpful tip someone gave me is that "patience is a virtue".

I'll check that out, thanks. aren't there some tolerances in the oil pump to check? I'd like to replace as little as possible to save money, but I'm kind of thinking its already out, so why not. How often do Oil pumps go out?

No tolerances to check unless you're rebuilding the pump(opening it up).

To be honest, I've yet to see an oil pump failure or really hear about them. It's just a precautionary measure; as if the oil pump goes, it can destroy your whole engine. It's like the heart of the engine.

ya I've only heard of one failing and that was on a fully built Type R (built by Cortney Green too), but mine feels smooth and happy so I may just use it for another 20K or so when I do the water pump too.

I was referring to D-series but I've actually seen a few oil pump failures on B-series(shattered pump gear).

Really? Well I won't bother with replacing it for a while then. OEM are like $180 blah. Thanks for all your feedback guys!

Back