d16z6 runs poorly

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok so i just turned it on and let it run..i plugged the bottom hole it would slow down but still idle surge..when i plug the top hole it shuts off completely..
when it gets to temp the idle surge goes from 1000rpm to 1900 rpm..when its cold ot goes from 1700rpm to about 2200rpm..
also when i unplug the iacv nothing happens..so would this maybe be a bad iacv and bad fitv??
i kno my white crx did t his exact thing but wouldnt surge until it started warming up..i changed the iacv and it ran perfect..but im thinking since it does surge when its cold and wamr then maybe both went bad?

but as far as the vaccum leak deal it only did that because i messed up the gasket..i fixed the gasket and now its back to what it was doing before

theres a leak around the fitv somewhere.. change the gaskets or try another one

I would think its a bad iacv. If there was a leak it would still probably run slightly when the top hole is plugged.

already changed the gaskets..tightenen it back up..
and as soon as i close the holes it dies right out..

Change out the iacv and see what it does. I'm guessing its the problem

i wish i had one to test out..
i already found an iacv and fitv..now just gotta find out if its the problem

well i see someone cought my typo. thanks. i'm glad you all figured out what i was talking about when i typed "screw" on sccident...but back to your problem. i still think youre on the right track cleaning the fitv and iacv units. when i put those units back on, i do it using new caskets..o-rings...(whatever term you wanna call them) and i also use a thin amount of grey RTV gasket maker from permatex. i put down a 1/16 bead of it on the gasket and then lightly spread it with my finger. put it on the manifold within 5 minuits and hand tighten to a snug amount. after about an hour tighten the bolts about 1/8th of a turn to 1/4th turn. but make sure your final torque is not extreme enough to risk stripping the threads. speaking of threads right now, are you sure the threads are not already stripped?

no threads are stripped..i did use rtv lol..im leaning toward the iacv/fitv being completely broken..but im unsure
what does it mean if the car dies with the top hole being plugged..but when the bottom hole is plugged it only slows down the idle

just reset timing..set the number 1 cylinder to TDC and the cam was off one tooth..so i fixed that..now its dead on an still doing this..but now its only bouncing from 1600rpm to 1800 rpm..sounds like 2step or launch control..it is bouncing real fast..but now when it warms you can hear a valve close..and now when i put my finger over the bottom hole it shuts off..and the top hole does nothing.,.
so would this be a bad iacv?

could be. its tough to say with stripped threads. did you try to go a little bigger on those threads and re-tap them using a bigger bolt? you may also have to drill the bolt holes on the unit a little bigger too. i would see if you can re-tap and get yourself a tap and die set, or at least a tap to get your issue fixed for now if you cant afford a tap and die set right now. but i would start there first

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I thought Helm manual said that if you unplug the IACV and idle doesn't go down (manual says 300rpm...whoa), then you need to replace the IACV??

throwing codes
14-eacv(iacv) so i need a new one of those
41-o2 sensor(its been bad and i drove it home with a cel for the o2 so i know thats not the cause)
50-mass air flow sensor(this just came up..i dont know if this would cause it..so ill be replacing it all and seeing if it works
as far as the tap and die and stripped threads..all the threads are fine so i do not know where you suggestions are coming from.but thanx anyway

oh shit- my bad. i misread your post about no threads are striipped...i read it "No. Threads ARE stripped." but you should keep a tap and die set on hand anyways. never know when we will nee those for our rides.

My lil bros 93 civic is doing the same thing and ive done pretty much every thing be sides lash the valves thats the next step...cant fine no vac leaks no air pockets in the coolant changed the iacv 3 times....(got a junk yard but what are the chances of 3 being bad) cleaned ti fitv played with the idle screww which btw does NOTHING any ideas other then what has been posted...oh and changed the ECU

well im trying to find a iacv to test on my motor..if thats not it im pretty sure its the ecu..
but i do have a tap and die set..lol ive got damn near every tool i could use on this car.

try changing all your small coolant lines and hoses. these lines and hoses and parts (the fitv and the iacv) get clogged up with crusty coolant build-up then they dont work well anymore. use drill bits on the small coolant hose bungs too. yeah its a bitch of a job but its regular maintenence that often gets over looked till its too late. try that next

all the hoses are good..thats one of the things i checked

Back