d16z6 turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

2drunk

alright, i know this is a constant topic of discussion, but i am a newbie after all. i am building a set up that will not be complete for around a year, but am missing performance on my daily driver. i've got a '94 w/d16z6 and am looking into a 4g63t t3 conversion. my goal for now would be in the neighborhood of 180+/- hp and halfway dependable. what can you suggest as a good dependable setup until the monster drops next year? any input would be appreciated.

source a grEEddy kit off of ebay.

should get you there with minimal effort and money....

untill you can save up for your "monster"

loco,
i've read your posts. i was hoping for a response from you. i live in missouri. i'm not exactly ready to drop a lot of money for a prepackaged system. i can get my hands on a complete system from a '92? gsx dsm for around $225. i would like to utilize this option if possible to save money for the project engine. there is a local crx with this setup, but has experience plenty of problems, most of which i believe is the idiot behind the wheel and under the hood.

The only things you can use from the DSM are the turbo, BOV, and IC. You still need a manifold, DP, charge piping, fuel management, and gauges. For a manifold, you can use an HF manifold with an adapter plate, fuel management an FMU and HIGH PRESSURE inline fuel pump, gauges- at the least a boost and AFG, downpipe and charge piping- simple exhaust pipe and Home Depot hose connectors, oil/ coolant lines (you MUST cool the turbo with coolant) can be made out of 1/4" high pressure fuel injection hose. Cheap and sleazy and under $650 if you do it right.

i hope this isn't considered thread jacking but here it goes....

i'm pretty much in the same boat: currently i have a d16z6 in a 92 hatch...long term goal is a b18c, but that's far off, considering my economic standings...i've just come across a complete greddy kit with bov n intercooler for relatively cheap (gotta love family)....but what i'm wondering, and i'm sure is somewhere on 2drunk's mind, is: is it worth it?

like i said, the b18 is quite a ways off and may not even happen cuz of school... <_< ...but the forced induction option is looking very bright (and attainable) right now...but is the SOHC 1.6 worth boosting? worth the trouble? worth the money invested?

sorry if i jacked it...tell me n i'll start my own thread, but this info would probably benefit 2drunk also!!

Hell yes it's worth boosting. I had a boosted Z6 with 132K on it in an Si hatch and could beat C5 powered CX hatches. Oh, I spent about $1200 on my turbo setup.

Do the math.

Back