December 15th

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by get_nick@Nov 24 2003, 08:36 PM
AAAARRRGGGGG!!!!!! I hate to read stuff like this. I just got out of the military so i know a lot about it. And my best friend just got out of the marines. i have a few words of advice for people thinking of going into the military. and i will give reasons why to.

1. DO NOT sign up for six years, there is no reason to. yes the bonus is nice, but after taxes you only get $4800. with 2 years of your life, you will make a lot more. And if you hate it, you can't give back that $4800 for 2 years of your life.
2. Go into the Air Force. better treatment, better living conditions, shorter basic. It's all around the best branch.
3. Go to college while you are in. don't fuck around. as soon as you get out of tech training enroll in school. when you get out of the military you will feel like you are behind in life when all your friends graduated. and it sucks, i know i hate it now that i am out.
4. Know what job you are getting into. will it work in the civilian world? is it something you want to do for a long time?

Just think it all over. and better yet, talk to people in the military and see what they think. don't talk to anybody that has been in over 6 years. they are too accustomed to it and not your age so they can't relate. i hope i helped. peace

Hey not to say you are totally wrong or anything, but i don't think you should really say that Air Force is the best service. Yes, what you said about it was true, but you gotta consider the type of guys in there. Those guys are usually there for the benefits, and not for the experience. I personally chose the marines, after looking over all of the services, because of the challenge. I know that i will struggle and be pushed to my breaking point. But I also know that for me, that is what will make me stronger. Somne people are not like that, and out of all the services, i would say that the marines is the one that is NOT for everyone. Some people love it, some hate it. It is all in the person, and the personality

Also, about your comment about not asking anyone a lot older than you. Well think of it another way, someone a few years older hasn't necessarily grown accustomed to it. They more likely have just became more matured and disciplined. It is true that most younger guys that get out will talk trash about it sometimes, but that is more than likely that they have not gained the maturity from it. Dont worry i am not insulting you, My main point is that it is all a matter of opinion, and a person's experience could vary greatly based on their personality and the way they look at it and approach it.

oh BTW, good luck Leanmarine, hope it goes well, and you gotta post all the shit about it when you get back, cuz i ship June 14 and i want to know what to expect

Originally posted by Wycked Sniper@Dec 7 2003, 10:30 PM
You will be going MCRD(Marine Corps Recruit Depot).

Now see, there's some shit I didn't even know about. I had to go google that up :lol:

google >> you :lol:

Originally posted by senate_9427+Dec 7 2003, 10:23 PM-->
@Nov 24 2003, 08:36 PM
AAAARRRGGGGG!!!!!! I hate to read stuff like this. I just got out of the military so i know a lot about it. And my best friend just got out of the marines. i have a few words of advice for people thinking of going into the military. and i will give reasons why to.

1. DO NOT sign up for six years, there is no reason to. yes the bonus is nice, but after taxes you only get $4800. with 2 years of your life, you will make a lot more. And if you hate it, you can't give back that $4800 for 2 years of your life.
2. Go into the Air Force. better treatment, better living conditions, shorter basic. It's all around the best branch.
3. Go to college while you are in. don't fuck around. as soon as you get out of tech training enroll in school. when you get out of the military you will feel like you are behind in life when all your friends graduated. and it sucks, i know i hate it now that i am out.
4. Know what job you are getting into. will it work in the civilian world? is it something you want to do for a long time?

Just think it all over. and better yet, talk to people in the military and see what they think. don't talk to anybody that has been in over 6 years. they are too accustomed to it and not your age so they can't relate. i hope i helped. peace

Hey not to say you are totally wrong or anything, but i don't think you should really say that Air Force is the best service. Yes, what you said about it was true, but you gotta consider the type of guys in there. Those guys are usually there for the benefits, and not for the experience. I personally chose the marines, after looking over all of the services, because of the challenge. I know that i will struggle and be pushed to my breaking point. But I also know that for me, that is what will make me stronger. Somne people are not like that, and out of all the services, i would say that the marines is the one that is NOT for everyone. Some people love it, some hate it. It is all in the person, and the personality

Also, about your comment about not asking anyone a lot older than you. Well think of it another way, someone a few years older hasn't necessarily grown accustomed to it. They more likely have just became more matured and disciplined. It is true that most younger guys that get out will talk trash about it sometimes, but that is more than likely that they have not gained the maturity from it. Dont worry i am not insulting you, My main point is that it is all a matter of opinion, and a person's experience could vary greatly based on their personality and the way they look at it and approach it.

oh BTW, good luck Leanmarine, hope it goes well, and you gotta post all the shit about it when you get back, cuz i ship June 14 and i want to know what to expect

All the branches of the military are going to be tough. i don't care what branch you go into. ask 92b16vx. he's older, he's in the army, he has the experience. go in the marines if you want to. but just listen to this. how many marines get out, and say"fuck i'm glad i did that"? none dude. but i will just add to my other points.

1. know what you are getting into.
2. macho is bullshit. don't try to be big and tough, or impress anybody. lay low and shut up and learn.
3. stay out of trouble. the #1 thing that gets military people in trouble is ALCOHOL. be smart about it.
and finally.
4. Be safe. think, prepare and act. do what you are supposed to, when you are supposed to.

Good luck to everybody going in the military and be safe.

Trust me, those 4 things you said are exactly what i am already palnning to go by. Plus i don't really drink anymore, so thats not a problem. I just want to get some discipline, see some new things and have fun, and pay for college. Also i will be making good ass money after college as a second lieutenant.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 12 2003, 10:26 PM
me? naw- more power to you. just don't come back a fuck face like all the other marines do.

shit happens in those fucking camps...

naw man- go for it. just watch your back.

I know a bunch of kids from town who went to the marines, and they all came back power tripping mother fuckers and i no longer associate myself with them.

its YOUR choice who you become- just don't let them get to you.

:werd: I have the greatest admiration for anyone that goes into the armed services... and it can really build character, but remember being a Marine is a great foundation for being an adult. It's a great stepping stone. Don't let them brainwash you into thinking your time with them as your greatest life achievement of all time. Just keep it all in perspective. For some reason, I've only found that former Marines have this problem.

maybe they are former for a reason? :roll:

anyways, i was in the service for 9 months. completed basic and AIT for 31R0 MOS (multichannel transmissions systems operator-maintaner) it was a decent mos.... they had a physical done on me after i graduated, and held me for 3 months before sending me home. i passed all my PT tests (after some brief sit-up struggles!) and then i was condemned because i had a few puncture holes in my lung.

mind you, i was in a non-combat mos. it was either pick a new mos (there was hardly any interesting) or leave. i didnt feel like being there anymore. i dont even understand why the decision was made to not let me continue my mos, but oh well.

i got an honorable discharge and ill never get drafted. i got 9 months of good training and pay, as well as some of the gi bill benefits. it is worth it, only regret was that i didnt join the airforce. those fuckers in AIT had it made. :worthy:

December 14th, I leave my house with my recruiter at 4PM. My girlfriend doesnt get off work until 3PM, I leave my house at 3:45PM. I hope I get to see her. Then I stay at the hotel over night and "Officially" ship tomorrow morning at around 3AM. Well everyone hondaswap has been very helpful, I went from that little ricer that wanted HONDA's Big Block in my car. To the conservative helpful poster. Well everyone thanks for help and allowing me to learn this shit. Thanks agian everyone, as soon as I return sometime in March I will post with details.

Later, dude. I won't be too far behind you in that shipping off business. Good luck with basic...you'll need it... :ph34r:

have fun dude. its not all that hard.

i guess we'll talk to ya when you have access to the intarweb. :)

Well, Everyone I am back. No im not a Marine either. I got sick so I was ELS'd due to sickness. So I'm at home now! Joel Derek Pat everyone call me. I cant remember my fucking damn aol password!

howdey there, nice to see a honda man back home.well i gotta get some shut eye. Heading into the big city in the mornin.

Originally posted by LeanMeanMarine@Feb 13 2004, 03:05 AM
Well, Everyone I am back. No im not a Marine either. I got sick so I was ELS'd due to sickness. So I'm at home now! Joel Derek Pat everyone call me. I cant remember my fucking damn aol password!

that sucks.

ohh well, now you can finsish that artile you started :)

Back