Del Sol Diary

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tylonalsnifnfool

So as many of you know i've been planning on doing a little bodywork on the del sol and giving it a fresh coat of paint. This is my Diary to document the whole process and keep everyone updated on my progress. I plan on keeping it the same color and eveything but The finish will be show quality (Ihope). You can find older pics of it here: https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?...topic=61861&hl=
and
here: https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?...topic=57287&hl=

I am planning on striping it down to nothing but glass and engine bay to minimize tape lines. The hood was to badly damaged from some acorn damage I decided to buy a VIS CF. I'll let the pictures and captions tell the story:

gallery_24267_478_39350.jpg

In this picture you can see the ass end disassembled, nothing special here realling just a bunch of unbolting/screwing, and a bunch of clips.

gallery_24267_478_10451.jpg

heres a pic of the front end taken aprt. i took the fender liners out after the pic. You can see all the filler on the side where there were alot of door dings. (notice the "custom" job on the front bumper support. Not me.

gallery_24267_478_29575.jpg

here is a pic of the only real dent, the resst was just dings. There is a before pic in the secong refrence link above. spoiler removed. Didn't realize it was aftermarket. B does body mods :ph34r:

gallery_24267_478_22067.jpg

This is just the bigger parts I removed. I plan on color matching the sideskirts and black strips on the bottom of the bumper. The black MAC box in the backround is mine. All my small parts and harddware are bagged an labeled for eay re-assembley.

I was glad after I took it apart because I didn't find any rust or hidden supprises. I barely broke any clips and didn't find any stripped or stuck bolts. I'll be posting pics every few days til its done (3 weeks or so).

So...what color are you painting it?

Or did you say, and I missed it?

Brian will probably want to kick your ass since he aint into show cars....lol. so what all do you have planned for the body exactly other than a new hood?

Quoted post[/post]]
(notice the "custom" job on the front bumper support. Not me.

that was a fun night :p
and for the record, it wasn't me either. bill cut it :p lol

DSC00343.JPG

DSC00350.JPG

Quoted post[/post]]
. spoiler removed. Didn't realize it was aftermarket. B does body mods :ph34r:

bought the with it. i think its an erebuni...
http://www.spoilers.com/CLEARANCE/hodelsol.htm same one thats on the green car.. top right.

Quoted post[/post]]
I was glad after I took it apart because I didn't find any rust or hidden supprises. I barely broke any clips and didn't find any stripped or stuck bolts. I'll be posting pics every few days til its done (3 weeks or so).

you didn't see the drivers rear LCA :ph34r:

Quoted post[/post]]
Brian will probably want to kick your ass since he aint into show cars....lol. so what all do you have planned for the body exactly other than a new hood?

heh, its all good. it went to a good home. he does body work for school, so thats cool. gives him something to play with. plus, its got a b16, so as long as its done nice and not gaudy, i don't see why it won't be a dang good lookin car

Quoted post[/post]]

Quoted post[/post]]

heh, its all good. it went to a good home. he does body work for school, so thats cool. gives him something to play with. plus, its got a b16, so as long as its done nice and not gaudy, i don't see why it won't be a dang good lookin car

The hood is the only real mod I plan on doing to the body. I've got the resources to do this so I don't see why I wouldn't. Who wants to drive around in a dented/scratched up car? I assure you all, after this everything I do to the car will be performance oriented. It won't be a show car by any means, I actualy plan on taking some driving lessons in it at the glen as soon as I can afford it and I have the brakes & suspension where I want them.

Quoted post[/post]]

The hood is the only real mod I plan on doing to the body. I've got the resources to do this so I don't see why I wouldn't. Who wants to drive around in a dented/scratched up car? I assure you all, after this everything I do to the car will be performance oriented. It won't be a show car by any means, I actualy plan on taking some driving lessons in it at the glen as soon as I can afford it and I have the brakes & suspension where I want them.

Finnaly, someone else who gets it!

Good luck with the body work, looks good so far - just keep us posted with pics! :mrgreen:

watkins glen is a tough course... its fucking HUGE and its easy to lose track of where you are and what is comming up next
its still a fucking blast though :)

Here is what I have done as of today:

gallery_24267_478_751203.jpg

This is just the front end all masked off so I can prime the spots where I used filler. All the moldings from around were removed along with the mirrors, inner fenders, and roof. The hood hasn't been preped since i'm junking it for a VIS.

gallery_24267_478_217557.jpg

Heres a picture of the ass end. I couldn't take that center panel off because there 2 bolts on each side that come off and then there are 2 rivit type fasteners in the middle that I didn't want to break.

gallery_24267_478_786409.jpg

Just wanted to mention how I bagged and labeled all my hardware. I even put a piece of tape around specific pieces and labeled there location. I just keep all my lights and larger items in my side cab for safe keeping.

gallery_24267_478_1204742.jpg

This is just the door jamb taped off. I decided not to paint is so I used foam tape to create a soft edge that I can blend later with rubbing compound. Door panels were taken off just to access mirror bolts. Rust free rockers too :worthy: .

Thats All I have for now but I should have more done on monday. All I really have left is primering the spots and sanding it (mostly with a DA) with some 600.

im actually suprised at how non-rusty it is too. i figured at least a little bit under the black skirts... 98% of cars get at least a spackle in there.... damn. lol

i gotta get you that box out. i suck.

yes, you do suck. j/k
It never will rust either. I plan on undercoating the undbody and wheel wells.
I've got the trunk all torn apart to paint, but i'm not sure if i'm going to leave it they way or put the carpet back in.

Back