Del Sol Diary

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Today I spent all day laying my base and clear. It came out awsome. I layed 3 super wet coats of clear down and it has an awsome shine to it. I love the color itself also. Its very deep and has alot of metalic in it. I forgot my camera so pics will have to wait til tommorow.

It turned out being more of a gouge with a high spot beneth it. It only took me about 1 hour to knock it down with a pick hammer, skim it with poly-putty, sand the putty, spray primer, and then sand the primer.

OK here is a frsh batch of pics:

gallery_24267_478_39835.jpg

gallery_24267_478_19287.jpg

Jst a couple pics of it in the booth after I got done clearing it.

gallery_24267_478_47192.jpg

I used a mini buffer on all my lights and lens and they all shined up like brand new.

gallery_24267_478_20561.jpg

Heres the rear lens installed along with all the rear window trim and moldings.

gallery_24267_478_37552.jpg

Just a pic of the roof installed. I still didn't put all my seals and moldings back on.

gallery_24267_478_47637.jpg

Passenger side bling blinging.

gallery_24267_478_26798.jpg

Drivers side bling blinging with racing 383 s10 in the background.

I am still going to wetsand the whole car out since it has a good amount of orange peel. I also need to paint the rest of my parts. Right now, everything you don't see on the car hasn't been painted yet. Hopfully either my refund through school or my tax returns come in soon so I can get my hood. I also plan on undercoating the rear wheelwells soon.

good work, delsols are nice to paint so small, only takes an afternoon to sand the whole thing

Quoted post[/post]]
good work, delsols are nice to paint so small, only takes an afternoon to sand the whole thing

Not even. I'm a lazy ass. I plan on using my DA on it. Plus I don't have to do the hood. I'm letting it sit til monday so the clear is rock hard. Also if you wetsand/buff on fresh clear it seems to dull back as it cures over the next few months.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Not even. I'm a lazy ass. I plan on using my DA on it. Plus I don't have to do the hood. I'm letting it sit til monday so the clear is rock hard. Also if you wetsand/buff on fresh clear it seems to dull back as it cures over the next few months.

this is true it will dull back a small amount as it cures but its a small price to pay to wetsand and buff out a car with fresh clear. If i were u i would sand it and buff it as soon as possible, because the longer u wait the more work your making for yourself as it is gonna sand alot harder the more it cures and hardens. but hey whatever blows your hair back bud. Otherwise lookin good

Yeah I went ahead and sanded it down with 1500 on a DA with double foam pads to make it extra soft. The I buffed it with extracut compound and it looks real nice. I'm gonna wait a while for the finalcut so it won't dull back. Doing it this way will give me the easy sanding of un-cured clear, but I also won't have problems with it dulling back. I have plenty of other things to work on in the mean time like painting the bumpers, skirts, spoiler, and mirrors.

Its a fairly new method but most shops are switching over too it since it saves so much time. Only problem is that each piece of 1500 for the DA costs about $1 and it take like 10 to do the whole car. I like it better because you can see what your doing without having to sqeegy water away.

DA wetsanding is the way to go, for sure is saves lots of time. I dunno why u woldnt atleast 2000 it before you buff tho???? I usually do 1500 da wet sometimes 2000 da wet and always 3000 da wet and it buffs back real quick and easy with one simple compounding. Just remember the longer you leave it without buffing it the harder it will buff as well. If it were me id wetsand the whole car buff it and then if it dulls back a little just buff it back again real quick

Well so far I went over the whole thing with 1500 dry on my DA with 2 1" thinck soft backing pads. After that I buffed the whole thing with extra rough cut compound. I admit it is very hard to get it done jumping straight to compound from 1500 but its doable and in the end the job will look the same. Its all just a matter of prefrence really. I'm not gonna go over it with finer compound for a few days and that should take care of my dulling issues.

heres a feww semi-new pics.

gallery_24267_478_36585.jpg

Got the trunk all together and flat blacked.

gallery_24267_478_9561.jpg

Looks at the shine on that door.

gallery_24267_478_6720.jpg

Heres the back end all put together.

gallery_24267_478_44946.jpg

Heres the front end all put together. Still waiting on the hood.

Back