Del sol has gone on a diet!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

You don't "need" to be FIA for most road racing in the US. It is really a personal preference.

You can remove the gas tank and add a fuel cell. Think its worth the hassle?

B16 said:
You don't "need" to be FIA for most road racing in the US. It is really a personal preference.

You can remove the gas tank and add a fuel cell. Think its worth the hassle?

well outside of safety being improved if you get a highend setup i would think there would be weight savings to be had from this for sure by removing the stock setup. i think a good 12 gallon cell is around $300.

Racer Parts Wholesale - Racing Parts And Accessories im sure you have been here but if not they have great equipment for real race car setups.

Last edited:
Corbeau seats are not FIA approved. I called and asked.

Anyway, as far as the fuel cell question... In drag racing, absolutely. A 1 gallon fuel cell doesnt weigh anything compared to a stock tank. But in track racing where you will be racing for 3+ hours at a time, you will probably need a 10 gallon tank anyway, and although fuel cells are lighter, it wont make that much of a difference between a 10 gallon fuel cell and a 11 gallon stock tank. If I had to guess, I'd say 8 lbs tops. But then you'd have to mount it in the car to make it fit and that would move weight up higher, which would be a bad thing. I'd leave the tank alone unless you have money to burn and can get a custom unit that will fit in the stock location.

in the trunk wouldnt really be that much higher.

i would think if you were building a race car to actually really comepete you wouldnt be cutting corners everywhere you could. 8lbs is 8 lbs no matter how you look at it. most of the road race cars i believe do have a fuel cell.

True, weight savings is weight savings. However, I'm cheap when it comes to anything for the car that is not strictly safety oriented. :) I would need at least 10 gallons, I think I'll stick with the stock tank.

I found a great deal on Sparco and Cobra seats locally to me. I'm going to go up to my buddies tonight who runs in H4 who has a Sparco Pro2000 to see how that feels. If I don't like it, I'm going to bite the bullet and get the Cobra Suzuka GT. The car goes to my fabricator July 1st, I should have the car back in 5 days or so. I'm getting pretty excited. :)

good luck with this, you weight about the same as my 5g mirage with full interior.

CRXs weight between 1800 and 2300 depending on the model. Eg's weigh around 2300. That is off of the showroom floor. I suppose a 2100lb mirage is possible.

Del Sol's are fat babies. Alot of extra weight in the bracing for that targa roof.

TurboMirage said:
you're right, i am bullshit.

i meant 4g mirage. the 5g weighs ~2250.
You're right, that 4g is a light guy. Thank god for minimum weights in racing. Thanks for the well wishes. :)

i was reading one of the mags on stands right now, dont remember which one(i think it was Modified, SuperStreet, or SCC.), but you can save a bunch of weight.... dont know if it would be legal for racing though.....

by drilling holes in everything..... the sides of the door supports, trunk hinges, flip through the mags on stands right now, it was this whole article about how crazy Nob Tanaguchi goes on cutting weight in all his cars. its SICK.

Drilling would cut weight...

Smonkeyboy said:
i was reading one of the mags on stands right now, dont remember which one(i think it was Modified, SuperStreet, or SCC.), but you can save a bunch of weight.... dont know if it would be legal for racing though.....

by drilling holes in everything..... the sides of the door supports, trunk hinges, flip through the mags on stands right now, it was this whole article about how crazy Nob Tanaguchi goes on cutting weight in all his cars. its SICK.

but if you have a part that you could take off and put in a punch press, punching a hole rather than drillingcould actually increase the strength of the part due to work hardening.

Back