Destroked d16a6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Madatsew

First of all I am new to the forum so hello. I have a question about how to get the most rpm out of a d16a6. I am building a drag car so I am not realy worried about the car being streetable. I am just worried about getting the most power out of my set up. I have not found anything about how to destroke the d16a6 and I was wanting to know if anyone had information concerning what crank and rods to use and wheather or not it is even worth it. I am planning to run a vitara 8.5 to 1 compression piston and eagle h-beam rods and push about 15-18 pounds of boost. any input would be most helpful.

Just use a D15 I guess. There's also the D14 and D13. These cranks(D13,14,15) will not work in a D16 block due to difference in main journals.

I know Phillipine's fastest D-series(D16A6) revs to about 8200rpm and makes about 185whp NA. I'd say just keep the crank stock. If you want a shorter stroke, just switch blocks. Only other way I can think of is offset-ground rod journals with custom rods.

D-Series Engine Building Notes
D-Series Specs

And yup, only the D16 crank will work in the D16 block. Or at least it's the shortest stroke crank that will work.

Given this rod/stroke ratio info:

D16 = 1.52
D16 with B16 rods and Vitara pistons = 1.49
B18A/B = 1.54
B18C = 1.58

And people often take the D16 past 8000 and the B18A/B to 9000, I think that as long as you use the right hardware (and you are with the Eagle rods) like ARP fasteners and a good balance job, you should be able to spin to 7500-8000 I would hope. You could always do the math on the piston speeds and make sure you don't go too fast. :)

Back