1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Destroked d16a6

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by Madatsew, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Madatsew

Madatsew New Member

First of all I am new to the forum so hello. I have a question about how to get the most rpm out of a d16a6. I am building a drag car so I am not realy worried about the car being streetable. I am just worried about getting the most power out of my set up. I have not found anything about how to destroke the d16a6 and I was wanting to know if anyone had information concerning what crank and rods to use and wheather or not it is even worth it. I am planning to run a vitara 8.5 to 1 compression piston and eagle h-beam rods and push about 15-18 pounds of boost. any input would be most helpful. [​IMG]

2. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

Just use a D15 I guess. There's also the D14 and D13. These cranks(D13,14,15) will not work in a D16 block due to difference in main journals.

I know Phillipine's fastest D-series(D16A6) revs to about 8200rpm and makes about 185whp NA. I'd say just keep the crank stock. If you want a shorter stroke, just switch blocks. Only other way I can think of is offset-ground rod journals with custom rods.

3. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

D-Series Engine Building Notes
    D-Series Specs

And yup, only the D16 crank will work in the D16 block. Or at least it's the shortest stroke crank that will work.

Given this rod/stroke ratio info:

D16 = 1.52
    D16 with B16 rods and Vitara pistons = 1.49
    B18A/B = 1.54
    B18C = 1.58

And people often take the D16 past 8000 and the B18A/B to 9000, I think that as long as you use the right hardware (and you are with the Eagle rods) like ARP fasteners and a good balance job, you should be able to spin to 7500-8000 I would hope. You could always do the math on the piston speeds and make sure you don't go too fast. :)

4. Madatsew

Madatsew New Member

Thanks a bunch you all were most helpful.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted