do i really need valvesprings and retainers?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

johncarlos

ok my motor is a h22a with the bottom fully built.i have a goal of 400whp max.
i was told that i should get the springs and retainers.what do you think?

If you really think you can hit 400 WHP, that shouldn't even be a question. To even come close to those numbers, you going to have to run aftermarket cams with probably a descent amount of lift, requiring you to replace them with som'n better...unless you like blowin up your valve train and floating a valve(s). In short yes.

matt

But you probably ain't gonna hit 400hp, let alone 400whp on stock cams. But yeah as long as you're usin stockers then you shouldn't really need it, unless you're doing some crazy ass high revs.

400 HP on stock cams with boost souldn't be hard. As long as you don't go over factory redline, I see no need for springs and retainers.

i agree with locohonkey on this one stock cams and rev limit kept and it is unnecessery to upgrade valvetrain but 400 hp unless it is boosted is going to need to rev high so which method are you taking

boosted=dont need upgraded valvetrain
N/A = if you dont then your never gonna make it to 400 the motor will blow before

Originally posted by red95solsi@Feb 2 2004, 06:41 PM
boosted=dont need upgraded valvetrain
N/A = if you dont then your never gonna make it to 400 the motor will blow before

:lol: :lol: :lol:

really?

id like to see 300, hell 275 out of a stock head h22 all motor.

Dude- we're in the FI FORUM.

well am not a huge fan of those 9k rpms anyway.i plan on keeping the stock rev limit. i have a msd digital 6 i will have the limit at prolly 7800rpms.and yes my cams are still stock.so i dont really need the springs & retainers right?

Well why dont you run a bigger cam and replace the retainers anyways. run a bigger cam, gain some hp.

Originally posted by ilikepie@Feb 6 2004, 07:34 AM
Well why dont you run a bigger cam and replace the retainers anyways. run a bigger cam, gain some hp.

That's not always the case. With boost, you want short duration, high lift, low overlap cams, which is almost the opposite for what you'd want with NA.

look into turbo cams, some companies probably make exactly what you need , but with those cams you will need springs and retainers

Valvesprings and retainers are for aftermarket cams and running higher rpm. The stiffer valvesprings reduce vavle float which is no good and typical of high rpm engines. You will make 400 whp easy without uprgrading the cams.

One guy at my local shop makes 525 whp on stock B16 cams. A lot of boost though.

They are unnecessary unless you really want them. Just for insurance.

Back