Driving on bad pressure plate?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

99sidude

VIP
So my damn pressure plate is dying. It grinds every gear (The clutch cant totally disengaging the clutch, and the car shudders badly when releasing the clutch pedal). Once under way there are no vibrations and it holds power fine. I just need to shift gingerly.

I want to put the car in winter storage- in my parents garage 120 miles away. I want the car garaged and out of my way while I move this January. Would you trust the car to make it?

Have you tried adjusting the clutch cable, or if it's hydraulic, bleed the clutch cylinder? I'm pretty sure the pressure plate engages the clutch, If the pressure plate wears out, it will just slip.

I'm pretty sure it's a stock clutch that came with the swap. The clutch line didn't need any bleeding. The car made the 2 hour drive no problem. Thanks to the ITR trans, 5th gear works for almost all situations:). There's a whirring noise as the clutch is engaged slowly, and lots of vibration.

clutch master cyl leaking? not always will it show problems they could be intermittent. try look in the engine bay at the clutch master cyl and slave cyl. Then look inside where the clutch pedal is where the clutch master cyl rod attaches to the pedal could have leaks frm there. seen it before.

id also think it'd just be good to bleed the clutch. my wife drove 40 miles in traffic with no clutch (just needed to be bled in the end).

And if you give the car a little gas when you're ready to change gears the gear should disengage rather smoothly and then if you give the engine a little rev kind of rev matching it should also in engage somewhat smoothly when you try to put it in gear when the rpms are falling.

Thanks for the input. The car is now 120 miles away in a heated garage till the spring. I'll have to bump this up once I get to tear it apart and see what's wrong.

Back