engagement ring or new car?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

just so you guys know
jewerly in general has a 400% markup, so when something is half off, they are still doubling their money on it
i know a diamond dealer in nyc
and for the first ring, always spend 95% of the money on the stone
the stone lasts and holds its value if you get a good one
your lil lady might want the 1500 band, but just get the rock first
then for one of your anniversaries you can get her that expensive band she really likes

a pristine 1 carat diamond can go for 8k wholesale

When I popped the question, there was no doubt on it. The idea of should I get the ring, or new stuff for my truck, never even a remote possibility. Even though I'm oh so close to the 1k ftlb mark.
I knew she wasn't going anywhere, but it wasn't that. Not only was I ready for that step, but wanted it. Not sure how to explain it, but if you're contemplating it, then get the car.

As far as ring costs for me... I gave her my grandmothers ring from dads side, in great grandmas ring box from mums side.

you should probably get the ring dude. just dont blow your whole wad on it. i got one from craigslist. met the chick at a jeweler, had it appraised at $3700 and then handed her $1100 for it. nice deal for me, she just needed cash. i had the ring cleaned and polished, that sucker looked brand new.

i paid $1500 for mine.. original price was $3700 .. i'm pretty sure they just mark them up and say they're on sale.. but she loves it.. she picked it out not knowing i was gonna buy it 2 days later.. so i know my woman is happy w/ her $1500 ring.. she even told me it was too much.. lucky me i guess

**edit**
i attached a pic of it..

Most any local store is going to be around 50-75% mark up before lowering the price a bit. If I bought Linhs set at Tiffany without a doubt it would have been well over $20K

First off, never buy in person unless you have the GIA in front of you and can match it with online prices of a near same cut. You have to remember that it's not always about the carrot or clarity it also has to do with the shape of the diamond. 1.0ct IF diamond could run $3500.00 if its not the right shape while a better shaped diamond could bring in 5-6-7K for 1ct When I say shape I'm not talking about the style of cut, each style of cut could have a different shapped diamond, some more squared some more round some more rectangled.

Blue Nile is a great place to shop for diamonds however their rings are a bit on the cheap side. It is good for finding base prices. Another plus is bluenile does a lot of online coupons as with cash back bonus if you use a discover card.

For anyone buying rings, don't buy them in person unless you have your chit together. Even at samsclub/costo Sometimes they do have good prices but to buy a prematched ring/diamond that fits what you're looking for is near imposible unless you dont care and just buy the first thing that looks nice to you. Find the diamond you want, then match it with a ring of your choice. Again don't buy prematched rings.

:shrug2: i bought a prematched ring and its what my woman wanted.. style wise

:shrug2: i bought a prematched ring and its what my woman wanted.. style wise

If shes happy great, its all in how much shes into a ring, its like buying a car, some people go yeah that cars cute, I want it. who cares if its a chevy, honda or ford.

Problem with prematched rings depending on where they're from they tend to be lesser quality cuts since people who do buy them most of the time walk into a random store, they don't look that far into it outside of yay rings! oh that ones pretty!

Please tell me you dont pay for the cleaning.

Last edited:
no, free cleaning and diamond inspection.. if one falls out its covered as long as i bring it in every 3 months for cleaning/inspection

just so you guys know
jewerly in general has a 400% markup, so when something is half off, they are still doubling their money on it
i know a diamond dealer in nyc
and for the first ring, always spend 95% of the money on the stone
the stone lasts and holds its value if you get a good one
your lil lady might want the 1500 band, but just get the rock first
then for one of your anniversaries you can get her that expensive band she really likes

a pristine 1 carat diamond can go for 8k wholesale
This is so true. I went to J Edgar jewellers and that's how they did it. I really would've only paid for the rock itself, had I gotten it in princess cut w/ a simple band but I paid extra for the cut I got plus the pand had the lil diamond accents around the main stone

Back