Engine compatability

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Turbo&Auto

Nick Go FAST!!
OK

I found an engine I'm considering now. Its a F20A DOHC, I've read that this motor makes 150hp and 137tq, same tq as the f22a but a lil more power. Its also a DOHC vs my F22A SOHC.

Has anyone heard anything bad about these motors or if they wont work in the 90-93 USDM Accord for some reason? ALSO, the guy says it has the correct 0-0-0-0 exhaust pattern, can anyone confirm it for me??

Thanks

Last edited:
Fuck it, I'm buying it!

700 shipped for the JDM F20A DOHC. I was quoted 400 for a F22A1 from the local salvage shop. This I think I will be better for me in the end, 9.5:1 CR which will help with my off boost response. The automatic 25hp increase will be nice too :)

I dont think 300whp will be unreachable with this setup:
F20A DOHC
H23 Intake Manifold
68mm Throttle Body
T3/T4E 50trim .63AR

Any comments, negatives are welcome to :)

OK

I found an engine I'm considering now. Its a F20A DOHC, I've read that this motor makes 150hp and 137tq, same tq as the f22a but a lil more power. Its also a DOHC vs my F22A SOHC.

Has anyone heard anything bad about these motors or if they wont work in the 90-93 USDM Accord for some reason? ALSO, the guy says it has the correct 0-0-0-0 exhaust pattern, can anyone confirm it for me??

Thanks

I thought that all F-series motors. Vtec pattern is 0-00-0 and non vtec pattern is 0-0-0-0 . For 700 bux , why not get it !!

good shit f20 is a good looking engine and i heard has a good block for boost.

I thought you were going to swap on a h23 head a while back too.

Why not swap h22 in the accord ? I was told f20 parts are a mofo to get.

H22 = at least twice the price. This is my budget race car. The most expensive part on the car is the turbo itself, everything else has been pieced together here or there. I also hear too many horror stories about H22's and boost. PLUS I already have a manifold that took almost a year to get for a F22/H23 head.

I did a bunch of research yesterday on this new motor, I can still use my block guard and MLS head gasket I bought. It looks like it has a VERY similar Intake manifold to the H23 but I will compare when I get it. If so, I can sell the H23 IM I have a make a few bucks back. I can also part out the good parts on my F22 and have extra accessories since this new motor comes with them.

PLUS, how many F20A DOHC Accord's do you know of? PLENTY of H22 ones......

I'm into doing things different from the norm. Do you know anyone with a Turbo'd Toyota Matrix? I know only a couple people.

Last edited:
yeah i hear ya on trying to do something different. Thats why I built my F22b1 sohc. I didnt want a h22 either. I go to get retuned this weekend and should be pushing around 400-450 whp .

I dont even know anyone who bought a Matrix. Especailly a boosted one .

I was one of the first 3 people to turbo one, 1st that I know of to turbo the 1zz motor in a Matrix.

thats awesome ... Its better to be unique. Every accord I see has a h22 . Not to many round here are boosted. Everyone tells me that I just wasted my money building the f22 . You planning on building the F20a. Or just boost the stock motor. Is the F20a non vtec ? I thought they were n/vtec but not positive. How much power is the matrix pushing ??

The only reason I went with the F-series. Cuz boosted the torque numbers will eat the H-series all day !!

With the small turbo on my Accord it made 250wtq around 4K RPM. It was a good time :D

Not planning on doing internals for now on the new motor, just the block guard(maybe the DIY block fill) and the MLS head gasket. The F20A is DOHC n/vtec. 9.5:1 CR instead of the F22's 8.8:1.

The Matrix made 190whp and 210wtq at 14psi with a basic T25 turbo. Auto tranny too ;)

thats a bad lil matrix with 210wtq.

250 isnt bad for an accord.

never trusted a block guard.

Let me know what you push on that motor.

When you plan on swapping it out ?

The motor should be here next week. The following 3 weekends I'm pretty booked up though so prolly towards then end of July :(

Have you read or know anyone that did the DIY block filling in the tech section? I think i want to try it, it seems to make sense and appears to work well. I need to read it again though, its been awhile since I read it.

well the problems we have experienced with the block guard. Sticking it in a stock motor can warp the clyinders. Causing the sleeves to fail , not to mention the ring lands at high rpm . The proper way to install these is taking the block to a machine shop. equally pressing the guard in and honing the cly wall to be perfect again . Just becareful with it . I would hate to see that motor trashed.

I ll talk to my machinist monday and see what he has to say about diy install of the block guards. He might know something I dont .

end of july ..... damn the waiting game never ends.

Did you read the block filling DIY on here? It shows a method of filling the block with liquid aluminum and baking it to make it solid. There's more details but that's the basic idea.

From what i have scanned over it seems very well possible. Since you have cast iron sleeves with the F20. You know your boost friendly . I would consider filling the block way before I would waste money on a Block Guard.

Have you thought about pistons and rings for that motor ?

I ll look into the block filling . I saw one thread where you fill up the block 1/2-3/4 way with salt and add an exopy filler and drill the coolant passages. Nothing about having to bake the motor. There are a few ways to do it , wonder which is the most reliable ?

Back