Engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

scorch222

I was wondering what would be the better engine... a B16b or a B18c?
and how come the B16b is almost as much as the B18c5?
oh this is going to be going into a CRX not sure what year yet

b18c is better. the reason why b16b is so much is probably because its so rare. other than that, the b18c has quite a bit more torque. if you trying to go w/ the 180 some hp on the b16b (not sure what its rated at) its some like 10 to 15hp more than the b18c1 but the torque in the b18c1 will get you moving. any B series will fit in crx, hood clearance might be a problem. just get some mounts for the engine and a different hood. (maybe a CF hood) itll fit in any 88 to 91 crx. pretty sure about the HF model. i know something is different w/ the HF model, but not exactly sure what.
long story short, b18c

yes it will work in the Hf, and its better an HF than a CX or a DX, HF = mpfi, so you dont have to get it switched over. also, isnt a b16b only 170 hp? correct me if im wrong, but y would u want a lower hp engine with less torque and spend more? go b18c, its inexpensive relative to the performance you get out of it. also, hood problems... yes and no, my friend put a turbo b18c in his CRX, fit no problem. i have another friend that put 1 into a Civic, and he had to cut off 1 hood support. either way u look at it, its not a huge problem. worry about that after u get the engine in there.

ok thanks..... i am new to all this stuff so... I was thinking of mabey supercharging it later on with a ATI ProCharger kit. what do u think?

Originally posted by onetyme_sam Posted on May 18 2003+ 03:46 AM -->
onetyme_sam Posted on May 18 2003 @ 03:46 AM ) said:
b18c is better.
No it isn't,depends on application,and which B18C he's talking about.B18C1 or B18C5.

Originally posted by onetyme_sam Posted on May 18 2003@ 03:46 AM
the reason why b16b is so much is probably because its so rare.

OR maybe it's because it is a performance motor out of the type R.

any B series will fit in crx, hood clearance might be a problem. just get some mounts for the engine and a different hood. (maybe a CF hood) itll fit in any 88 to 91 crx.

NO IT WON"T.You need an aftermarket mount kit,such as HAsport or Place to fit it in the right spot,along with modified shiftlinkage,and somewiring.

i know something is different w/ the HF model, but not exactly sure what.

Si and HF are already MPFI,which means you don't have to rewire the system to run the B series.

SleEPeR_CRX Posted on May 18 2003
@ 06:06 AM
isnt a b16b only 170 hp? correct me if im wrong,

B16B
Displacement (cc): 1595
Power (bhp@rpm): 185@8200
Torque (ft/lbs@rpm): 118@7500
Compression Ratio: 10.8:1
Bore (mm): 81
Stroke (mm): 77.4
Cam Design: dohc
VTEC?: yes
OBD: 2
Year(s) Produced: 1997-2001
In the following car(s): Honda Civic Type R (JDM)

All that said and done,the B16B is an excellent engine,but the GSR B18C1 is still a better choice,less horsepower and more torque.It is easier to build HP than torque.Thing about it is,the rex is very light and torque isn't as essential to make it move.A much cheaper B16A is a force in a rex.

Back