EVO 8 to turbo honda !

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Why not go with an ls-v? You could have it fully built for the price of the stock b18c plus you would have the extra torque. Stock sleeves should be fine for 350whp but re-sleeving would be added insurance.

Just make sure you do LOTS of research on this topic and figure out what is right for you. It will pay off in the end when you don't blow your engine.

The stock LS sleeves cant take more than around 250 and even thats pushing it.

Ok this is from my tuner friend, you can take it to 250 on a good tune just fine. But 300 is really pushing it.

I've seen 500 whp on stock gsr sleeves online.... and have seen 400 whp on b18 sleeves in person. You're fine.

i think i may just run stock sleeves for a season and see how the block holds up and dyno tune the sh*t out of it to get the most out of it RELIABLY. i'll prob. keep it at 400whp and hopefully break an 11.

kinda off topic; what will a gsr tranny gear out at? approx. top MPH ? thnx

i think i may just run stock sleeves for a season and see how the block holds up and dyno tune the sh*t out of it to get the most out of it RELIABLY. i'll prob. keep it at 400whp and hopefully break an 11.

8000 rpm's in 5th gear is 160 mph

you'll never hit 150mph int he 1/4 mile with your setup.Dont worry about it...haha jk

You should be ok with stock sleeves.
Good luck with everything dOOd..:thumbsup:

160? not bad. not 1/4 but highway haha my boy with a 04 cobra has the "fastest" car right now and i wanna show him what a little 1.8 liter can do ;) he's done an 11.9 and now going turbo so it will def. be a 10sec ride next season. I wanna atleast be able to hang. hah thnx for all your guys' help. i appreciate it and will start a thread with my build soon. peace

160? not bad. not 1/4 but highway haha my boy with a 04 cobra has the "fastest" car right now and i wanna show him what a little 1.8 liter can do ;) he's done an 11.9 and now going turbo so it will def. be a 10sec ride next season. I wanna atleast be able to hang. hah thnx for all your guys' help. i appreciate it and will start a thread with my build soon. peace

Trade the gsr trans for an ls trans, and you can see alot faster

go with the ls motor like you said you want to sleeve in case you want more power down the line. Besides sleeves are a good investment. It will keep your money going into the aftermarket rather than rebuilding the motor again. But either way I think you are making the right move from mitsubishi to honda. no offense. I am just honda fan of course. Something I also wanted to point out: I have personally seen a hatch with the d16z6 motor built and turboed pushing 350 whp. I think after it was all said and done he ended up spending close to $7000 but a that is a sohc motor.

ya one of my buddies had a 350+whp del sol with a sohc built (sleeved). it only lasted like 2 weeks though and snapped the rods on the dyno! i would go LS and sleeve that but it's just as easy to find a b16/b18 short block for cheap. thnx for the help

won't the LS trans hurt me in the 1/4 though?

Some would argue no. They'll say the longer gears are better for boost. Like someone else pointed out though, you're not gonna be seeing 160 mph in the quarter anyway, so shorter gears are gonna be better in the 1/4 mile for sure.

top speed is the reason i'd go with an LS trans. but will it really hurt me in the 1/4? because i could find a ls trans for cheap and rebuild and throw in lsd.

gsr trannies suck for boost period. you will end up trapping in fifth gear at like 116mph. For boost, from MY experience, the LS transmission is best. nice long gears. As far as engine/turbo setup... I had fully built gsr with a full-race pro am kit. The engine was re-sleeved, stock bore, 9:1 cp, built head with stock port and itr cams. on 22psi and c12 race gas i made 551whp, 383wtq. Now on the street, it sucked ass. no traction ever. I reccommend a stock gsr engine with double oem head gaskets, 50-60 trim turbo, ls transmission with a 6puck clutch setup or better, fuel system and ecu tuning. crome is good bang for the buck. That setup made 308whp @ 11psi daily driven for a year and a half before i sold the car. I went 11's on slicks in an eg hatch shell with interior and all. It's not cheap to build engines today, trust me I build them for suckers every day and its like baking cookies for me. I enjoy it and i make good money doing it. I do short blocks, so PM if you want a block built. I specialize in ls-v setups, NA mainly.

gsr trannies suck for boost period. you will end up trapping in fifth gear at like 116mph. For boost, from MY experience, the LS transmission is best. nice long gears. As far as engine/turbo setup... I had fully built gsr with a full-race pro am kit. The engine was re-sleeved, stock bore, 9:1 cp, built head with stock port and itr cams. on 22psi and c12 race gas i made 551whp, 383wtq. Now on the street, it sucked ass. no traction ever. I reccommend a stock gsr engine with double oem head gaskets, 50-60 trim turbo, ls transmission with a 6puck clutch setup or better, fuel system and ecu tuning. crome is good bang for the buck. That setup made 308whp @ 11psi daily driven for a year and a half before i sold the car. I went 11's on slicks in an eg hatch shell with interior and all. It's not cheap to build engines today, trust me I build them for suckers every day and its like baking cookies for me. I enjoy it and i make good money doing it. I do short blocks, so PM if you want a block built. I specialize in ls-v setups, NA mainly.
i have to disagree.

I never had to shift to 5th with my setup in the 1/4 mile
I was trapping 128mph. stock gsr tranny fully built gsr engine 35r turbo @ 18psi;)
Gsr trannys are perfect for boost.

Back