1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EW1 vaccum lines

Discussion in 'Civic and CRX - EW' started by tasertotts, May 7, 2010.

1. tasertotts

tasertotts New Member

i bought a 1985 crx hf a few months back and i am somewhat new to the honda cvcc engines, i have done a lot of reading about them and understand how they work. i am wondering if anybody has removed all the vaccum lines and black boxes and only kept the necessary items for basic carb operation. i know the carb concept is not basic but i am a certified mechanic so i can figure things out and make it work. just wondering if someone else has done it before. thanks for input

2. letank

letank New Member

New to the forum too.

Debatting about the same question as this carb is an absolute headache, or should I say that the carb control system is too much to deal with as the carburation controls mostly the amount of air that is passing thru various ports and valves.
    I am failing smog for High NOx as the engine is running lean, the smog tech said that a new cat may fix it.... May be, may be not.... the egr is working and the O2 sensor is cycling. So for the price of a new cat I can get a weber...

Michel
    86 civic DX

3. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

Red Pepper Racing has a full how to on desmogging the carburetor. Not recommended in colder climates though.

4. DarkHand

DarkHand Senior Member VIP

Or in a state where you need to get visually inspected. You'll fail right off the bat.

It makes working on the car 2459783489573458903459083493845 times easier though.

5. hosmer

hosmer I made the millionth post VIP

I de-vac'd my browntop ZC and the car idled better...it would search I'm sure because of a dry rotted/cracked vacuum line

6. Elwood

Elwood New Member

Just did mine, runs a whole lot better.As long as the car does not require an emissions test, remove all that junk. If that does not help, then get a weber carb, So far the stock carb is working fine with all the junk removed.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted