Final steps before boost TUNING!! help appreciated

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bvtec

i have gathered all my turbo kit and it is ready to go on i have:-

b16a2
9.01 cp pistons/crower rods
revhad manifold/external 38mm tial
t3/t4e .60 trim
custom 2.5" piping 27"x6.5"x3" intercooler
greddy bov-apexi intake
flamenco-t oil kit
3" dp+apexi n1 exhaust
255lph walbro

now heres where the mission arrives after doing all this i have become on a low budget i have around $500 i need to tune it up i know the options i have are
*vafc with injectors
*hondata
*uberdata.

if i use the vafc with injectors what boost will i be good for what injectors will i need will 440cc do

If i go hondata can i chip the ecu myself and then get it tuned if so what will the chip contain? boost etc?? how much will this work out

Finally if i go uberdata can i chip the ecu myself and how does it work with boost and fuel settings etc

I would appreciate any help i have searched the past posts and w/o any luck and i am tired of searching :( :blink: i hoping to gain around 350whp
Here at hondaswap is where my turbo dreams started would appreciate if you could help me finish THANKS :D ;)

with only 500 bucks left frankly, none of the above are going to happen.

I mean, just the dyno time alone is going to cost you at least $150... probably more.

uberdata is free- but you need a lot of equipment. 179 for a chip burner, some chips, a laptop, the chipped ecu, and a laptop.

hondata needs all that + the unit itself.

vafc's are 300, injectors are at the cheapest, $50 for dsm's + 20 for a resistor box.

better crack that piggy bank open.

well, what u could do is what i did...i went with the vafc hack, but i street tuned it myself with a wideband...you can get a used safc for about 150 bucks, maybe less, off of ebay...injectors, 50 bucks plus the resistor box, and i bought a plx m300 wideband o2 off of streetrays.com for 325 shipped...thats a little more than 500, but with this setup, you dont have to bring the car to the dyno every time you add a mod...Like for me, i plan on upping my boost to 12psi, all i have to do is go to tracks or even a empty road and redline the car in 3rd, and just watch my wideband display and tune from there, its a lot cheaper in the long run...oh and for the hack haters, my car is running perfect with the hack at 9psi, no detonation and i have tuned the car to about 12:1 to 12:3 afr across the band, so the hack works!

street tuning sucks. even with a wideband.

im living proof. my wideband is totally inaccurate.

yah, idk whats up with your plx, but my cheaper model works awesome! maybe you should get a refund for your m500 and get a m300 instead...who needs datalogging? i got my datalogger right here in my head.

I'd beg to differ with Brian on the wideband issue. His PLX M500 may be innacurate but I can say with almost total certainty that my PLX M300 has high precision. Read up on accuracy vs precision if you can't figure out why this statement is important.

I've tuned ~20 street cars with wideband+datalogging in the past six months. High compression NA cars, turbo cars, more or less stock cars. Not a single one has blown up as a result of tuning (one due to wastegate hose cracking + overboosting, one due to spun rod bearing). You can do a DAMN good job tuning AFRs on the street, and it's a hell of a lot less expensive than dyno time. Additionally, I've seen cars behave somewhat differently on the dyno vs the street. I guess I'm a firm believer in tuning street cars on the street.

Additionally, I'm going to have to disagree with Brian's assesment for $$$ involved in Uberdata. You can get a PLX M300 for $300 shipped (well, I did) and a cheap ass Willem EPROM burner from ebay for $50. Chips, chipping parts $10-15 max. Add one of the nokia USB datalogging cables (ebay, $6) and you have a pretty fucking functional setup with some money for beer left out of your $500 budget.

Just remember with DIY stuff, you get a lot of stuff for free so you need to think for yourself more.

thanks for your replies, i am really interested in street tuning because i could always tune it further when i modify.Can anyone point me to somewhere i can learn to do this any posts??websites?? it shouldnt be to hard??should it :)

Just got power back today. Hurricanes Blow.

I street tuned my setup to great success paying only $50 for a chip burner, some pocket change for the zif sockets and 20 chips, $100 for a set of 4 DSM 450ccs, $110 for EGT, and borrowed a friends $300 PLX setup. Car runs beautiful.

Originally posted by mattcalica@Sep 5 2004, 11:35 PM
yah, idk whats up with your plx, but my cheaper model works awesome! maybe you should get a refund for your m500 and get a m300 instead...who needs datalogging? i got my datalogger right here in my head.
[post=386572]Quoted post[/post]​

PLX M300 :thumbsup:

I got mine for a little over $300.

all captain obvious comments aside, the dyno is a more "controlled" environment... theres no hills to climb, bumps to throw you or traffic to avoid.

Just fishing for tips and opinions but what are your takes on nitrous on a stock b18c5 motor, can it be done, what is the max power shot etc.?

Back