Flying Car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mattcalica

ohman2.jpg

The wing sucks, the graphics sucks, the paint sucks, the taillights sucks, and license plate sucks. But I do think the exhaust looks sweet, even though it is dual.

That wing is un-doubtably the best definition of rice. But agreed, the exhaust is pretty nice looking. Damn young kids with too much money.

damn, how much is that?

seriously, i want to buy it.

it looks to be about the proper length i'd need for a set of wheelie bars :lol:

:blink: ...what was he thinking. Maybe because the guy that sold him the exhaust system convinced him the car will be so fast it'll take off.

will someone in here with a good understanding of aerodynamics
please explain to me how this wing is messing up "his performance"

seriously. just what detrimental effects is this wing having on this guy's performance.

i know it fucks it up.....i just dont know the technical "why how"

Originally posted by karnash@Apr 8 2003, 01:08 PM

seriously. just what detrimental effects is this wing having on this guy's performance.

In F1 racing you see, they use wings to add downforce ( like an airplane wing upside down ) when they are going really fast. Its almost like adding weight to keep the car planted firmly to the ground, however you dont have to worry about acceleration suffering because of the extra weight and the faster the car goes, the more downforce the wing produces wich coincidently is when it is needed. At top speed the wings on an F1 car can produce three times as much downforce as the cars weight. This means that if someone built a track that twisted upside down about midway through and ran an F1 car down it, it would stay glued to the track even when it was upside down. Its a pretty good system if your driving wheels are in the rear and your going like 300mph into corners. However, if your a fool and want to put a wing on a civic for it to be at all functional, put one on the front or convert the car to rear wheel drive. The wing on that purple civic will add downforce on the rear, where it shouldnt be, and is producing alot of unecessary induced drag ( byproduct of producing lift ) and paracite drag ( drag caused by anything in the airstream ) from the frame holding up the wing. Even though the exhaust does look kinda cool, the car feels embarassed by its appearance and will not perform as well due to its lack of moral.

Hope that helps

Originally posted by karnash@Apr 8 2003, 01:08 PM

seriously.  just what detrimental effects is this wing having on this guy's performance.

s3e9316e8e9d5f.jpg

wings can either work like this ( the simple ones that don't really work all that great)

or they can work like an airplane wing, which instead of ADDING force, just removes air pressure and lets gravity do the work. In simplified terms. I'm not sure I have ever seen a car wing that works like that, but some of those principles go into different aerodynamic aspects of the car besides the wing.

Also - if this wing is placed in the general wind path and not the forced air signature around the car, it will add unnecessary drag at all speeds, instead of working only with the aero signature.

There are also different types im not familiar with, im a computer engineer not an aeronautical engineer :)

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Apr 8 2003, 12:45 PM
or they can work like an airplane wing, which instead of ADDING force, just removes air pressure and lets gravity do the work. I'm not sure I have ever seen a car wing that works like that, but some of those principles go into different aerodynamic aspects of the car besides the wing.

I have seen some true functional wings that operate by acting like reverse airfoils... they are out there. Some of the better aerodynamic designs focus on varying degrees of reverse lift generation too- they increase downforce up to a certain speed, then start to reduce downforce again so that you can reduce drag and increase top speed. Those are the nicer fancier ones. The higher end Ferraris use systems designed to work like that. It takes a bit more engineering on the fluid dynamics side to get a static aero system to function this way, but examples are out there on street cars.

only 15 hp... :( ...i think that guy was told 20 hp... :lol:

ok. i understand the principles of how the wing works....
but by the guy adding the 12 foot high wing.....is that slowing his car down?

and check out this pic below. it is off my buddies AUTOMATIC 12 sec. Lexus.
i think he is sponsored? (not quite sure) by apc? but anyways.....do you think
his front lip wing is functional?

s3e9324f7eeb8d.jpg

dude, that looks like a Del Sol.

i don't think that front spoiler is really functional being adjusted the way it is. The point of a front spoiler is to not allow too much air to go under the car cuz it creates lift. I don't think his car very functional with that big opening in the bumper cuz the air is not going to flow very well unless he's got exit ducts. I don't know if that all made sense but i will try to draw on your picture to show you what i mean.
see if this helps. i never claimed to be an expert at this so any corrections are more than welcome.
s3e932a841ef14.jpg

it could start to do a bit around 80-100mph. depending on the angle (which I can't tell) the air hitting that front spoiler will start to exert some force downward. Its most definitely not the best or most efficient setup, however I still think it will serve a bit of purpose, given the angle is correct

no its a lexus rsaeni, he had to customize everything under the hood cuz they didnt make shit for the sc400. i give him mad props on what he
was able to accomplish.....even tho it is a v8.
here are some more pics of it.
and my bad, it wasnt apc....it was APR.
show how much of a dumbass i am haha

s3e9399d5e09d6.jpg

s3e939a05ef974.jpg

i'm digging the rims. i'm not big on wings but the rims get a big :thumbsup:

Back