For Everyone With Non-VTEC Power

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOGO

4 moths ago I bought my first car and I am prod to say it's a honda. I bought a civic but a 4 door for the reason that a 2 door will have an enourmous insurance for a guy under 25 years - you may wonder why. Please, don't. I live in Canada. So anyways I think the car's nice. A 2002 civic lx - the one with the white speedometer and gauges. So I started to read all kinds of forums and check everywhere on internet about tuning stuff. I really want to tune it up but also stay in a reasonable price range. I don't know if I swap my engine with a v-tec how much it will cost. Can I do mods that will take the stock engine power to about 300 hp without wearing it out too much. Does anyone know if I can find a wide body kit for that same car and would I be able to mount really wide tires on it. Do u think it's worthed.

OK let that be all for now. I hope someone answers my question as I am a real car freak. I love those things I just need the right company to get really involved. Plus I am still young so a lot of time ahead of me.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah yeah. But there should be something that could be done. I don't know why everyone with a v-tec looks at the rest with such an arogancy. It has 115 horses and I guess it's strong. I just want to take to 300 horses without engine swap for now. May be later if I get really in that kind of stuff and get the needed help. I am a rookie but as I said I have the passion for that kind of stuff. Just help me.

Quoted post[/post]]
Yeah yeah. But there should be something that could be done. I don't know why everyone with a v-tec looks at the rest with such an arogancy. It has 115 horses and I guess it's strong. I just want to take to 300 horses without engine swap for now. May be later if I get really in that kind of stuff and get the needed help. I am a rookie but as I said I have the passion for that kind of stuff. Just help me.
Taking your stock 115hp motor to a reliable 300hp will cost you more than getting the K20a-R.
Get the k20a Type R, put it in, have 220hp.
That is like 71% of where you want to be, with less trouble,time and money spent.

you must be like 16.

bad news for you man...you picked the wrong generation to try and get to 300hp. I've never heard or seen of a 300hp 7th gen single cam. Without a swap, I don't see it happening. If it does, you'll be probably one of the first to do it. Trust me, pioneering the way with a single cam is a very expensive endeavor that will leave you with an empty pocket, a headache and an unreliable car. good luck on that.

My advice is to go ahead and go through your rice stage with bodykits, altezzas, a loud stereo and all that jazz. Once you get past that you'll begin to wise up to reality.

- The Spectacle

haha.
If I were in your shoes, I'd do an obd2-obd1 conversion, turbo kit, and tune it. I don't think you'll get to 300 hp, but why would you want that much? I'm guessing I am probably at around 170ish whp with my NONVTEC setup, and it is way quicker than any honda I've ever driven. I won't say it's faster than my buddy's wrx, but then again, I don't have a turbo. then again again, I have about 700 lbs less mass to deal with. 300 whp, I'd be spinning my tires through most of the gears. I am happy with a sub 6 second 0-60 in my integra, which I am pretty sure I am capable of. Do not put a body kit on that car, whatever you do. In all honesty i like the looks of that year 4-door, and some honda civic hybrid wheels (the multispoke alloys) and a clean lowered suspension would look nice.

My vote is turbo with obd1 and crome. 300hp is way too much power for you, my son.

actually i'm over 300 WHP on my LS. Alot of money? fuck yeah 4k not including the turbo items.

First I am suprised that someone actually started posting and helping.

Swaping an engine seems a lot of work for a guy that has never done or seen that. I don't even have a friend that may be competent enough to do it for me. I don't even have a reliable mechanic that I will persuade to do it for me or if I find he'll see that I am a fish out ot water and will rip me off. Anyways.

I need more answers on how can I find a v-tec engine and what would be a good v-tec engine to swap with.
Can I find one that is used (which I suppose will cost less money). But then if I get that kind of engine I will need a new transmission and probably CPU. And that's the beginning. Anyways I think by the time I know all the facts I will defenitly want to do a swap.

There's always the option to drive that honda for a while and then change to something like audi, mercedes or bmw. I can afford but that's too easy and still it's not that interesting. The idea of working on your car and making it one that no one has is greater than just buying some 2.7 TT Audi Quatro.

What do u think guys.

And thatnks for the replies u help a lot.

P.S Any of u guys from Canada

Check this one http://www.estrictlyforeign.com/news_detail.asp?id=166

Well it's cool that you want to learn and try it on your own, the only SUGGESTED options would be
K series.
None of these prices include: wiring changes/misc parts/water pump/timing components/new drive belts/fluids/ any mounts/brackets if needed etc etc
K20a type R - roughly $5500 for the complete swap (220hp)
K20a2 (from the RSX type S)- roughly $4000 (200hp)

Does those prices include the transmission or that thing I've got to buy alone.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Does those prices include the transmission or that thing I've got to buy alone.
that includes the transmission and ecu...depending on where you get it, it might include some mounts,axles,shitlinkage or other misc parts.

You might be interested to check this one out then. It's probably a good deal if u get all that stuff. Basically everything.

I was wondering if u cold find that engine in a junk yard. U know some guy smashed his RSX and the insurance covered everything so he didn't worry about the car and u can go there and buy for some ridiculous price

Not likely. people swoop on those pretty quick, and pay good money for them.

yea 95% of junkyards KNOW what they're selling/buying/keeping for their friends etc..
I couldn't even find a b20a5 in the junkyard at the time :cry:

Quoted post[/post]]
Well it's cool that you want to learn and try it on your own, the only SUGGESTED options would be
K series.
None of these prices include: wiring changes/misc parts/water pump/timing components/new drive belts/fluids/ any mounts/brackets if needed etc etc
K20a type R - roughly $5500 for the complete swap (220hp)
K20a2 (from the RSX type S)- roughly $4000 (200hp)
you know ive never seen it for sale but what about the K from the base model RSX? 160hp. my friend with a decent turbo setup is around 300 and that thing ripps with stock internals.

EDIT:heres a guy selling the K20A3 for $1800. the link is from Febuary but as far as the thread goes it doesnt look like it was sold. and that was just in a quick search. then if you piece together a turbo kit you may actually be able to get your goal (or close to it) for the price of the type r (or close to it).

i only suggested the K20A3 if you really wanted to get that 300hp. because while the type s and type r are closer to your goal, both compressions of those motors dont respond all that great to boost. but if you just want to swap and be done with it then those are the motors you want to go after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back